What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 1)

People have already run CV into the CV input(s), with mixed results. Their reports are on the Lyra thread.

There’s so many other synths you can sequence though. Would not recommend Lyra if you don’t want to play it hands-on.

4 Likes

Interestingly reading along with this. I love trying out gear and not afraid of selling it off again for similar price if it doesn’t suit me. What would you say is a nice price where I’d have to pick one up to try?

it’s nice to have sid synths in the studio. it’s also nice to have a load of point clicks to play when my ears are tired :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yes I agree- it is not a huge problem the lack of midi, it is more linked to what I really need to add to my music - I don’t see Lyra8 as an essential tool, more like something you would use occasionally

1 Like

I tend to use the Lyra 8 more and more as a sort of underlying background rumble/drone running though some additional fx, which I can fade in and out of my tracks…

1 Like

Feel free to share your experiences here:

1 Like

ha ha ha ha Mr. Kitty :slight_smile:
<3

Put a shelf in, got a rack. FINALLY got the synths into the patchbay (in addition the the mic pres)

Threw some pedals in the patchbay too! You know, to actually use the ones not on the pedalboard a lot more!

Oh yeah, Morphagene is happening! My first actual non-semi-modular module.

15 Likes

How are those Warm pres? How do they compare to the Clarett ones?

There’s no comparison, really. The claretts are fine for most synths and such. My sax mics are way crisper through the WA. You can also overdrive them with the input for some squeezy goodness on synths, mics, whatever.

1 Like

Good to know. Between the three pres I have (Clarett, Onyx, iConnectivity) The Claretts are by far the the cleanest and fastest. Agree that there is not much colorfulness in them. What mics are you running through the Warm?

1 Like

I bought a CB Mood and have been ramping instruments through it to add texture to my tracks

2 Likes

Mint condition, barely touched Roland TB-03. Been wanting one of these puppies for a few years and finally jumped on it. Pretty much an impulse buy at the moment because the price was so good. Guy I bought it off of said he used it only a handful of times and just didn’t gel with his work flow. He was mostly in the box with Ableton. Might ditch my SH01A as I have too much gear now.

Intention - Acid sounds

14 Likes

I swear I’m not a WA shill, but I’ve been loving the WA87 on my sax, vocals, and as a mono drum overhead.

Regular mix of mics:

Beta 57
Audix D6
RE20 :heavy_heart_exclamation:
EV 468 is great on cabs and the horn for more aggressive stuff right on the bell
SM57s, of course. They sound wild with a lot of gain and lowering the output.

Nothing too impressive in the small pile of mics. That’s off the top of my head. I’ve really made that WA87 quite a worker bee.

2 Likes

I get around the midi limitations by making long Lyra samples on the SP-16… then I can loop those and do things like LFO to filter to make them evolve even more. Also breaking Lyra samples up into short noise bursts to sequence rhythmically can be really interesting.

2 Likes

We’re moving soon, and I’m not 100% sure how many rooms the new house is going to have yet (as we haven’t decided on the house yet :smiley: ) I decided to downscale my studio to “Micro” status until the move is complete, then expand from there if space permits. Sold off my larger items, and acquired the Minilogue XD and Typhon to accompany my Digitakt. I’ll grab a pic of the happy trio once the Typhon arrives in a few days.

For now, it’s appropriated images. :smiley:

18 Likes

You can run an XD off of a USB battery pack, btw. :+1:

3 Likes

I’ve really been enjoying the XDm. I sold my Prologue 16, but couldn’t be without this basic engine in my setup. Plus I REALLY like the Chips 2 user oscillator. (being a fan of chip tunes) It’s a really nice synth. Since it’s not dual-timbrel though like the Prologue, I picked up the Typhon for another voice, and the 24db filter will add some variety. Then the Digitakt will fill in the rest of everything. I think it’s going to be a fun little setup until I can build things back up again.

Also, I think I’m putting white Rogan knobs on the Typhon. :smiley:

3 Likes

I just bought a used Elektron Audio / CV Split Cable Kit haha

Not quite sure what I’m gonna do with it, but it was damn cheap

2 Likes

Time for a modular!!!

2 Likes