What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 1)

I liked JammPro on the iPad mini I posted above so much that I went out today and got one of the new iPad Pro’s. It’s not just for the extra finger space–which is utterly delightful–but also to have at least non-ridiculous built-in speakers until I can find a USB-C hub that will reliably allow recharging at the same time as audio out.

I can’t understand why JammPro gets such a low rating at the App Store.

5 Likes

I don’t get it either.
Like Patterning, it’s one of the few iOS audio apps that takes advantage of the touch screen interface in a way that is very powerful and fully harnesses the format.

either way, I hope you have fun with it!

1 Like

I broke down and bought Decksavers for my A4, AR2, and my Moog Minitaur. Expensive for what they are, but I needed them.

BTW - Musicians Friend has a 20% off code right now (LOUD2020) that I was able to use for my Minitaur Decksaver. They didn’t have the Elektron Decksavers I needed unfortunately.

1 Like

Looking at JammPro’s reviews, it looks like people with anything but the newest iPads are smacking it down due to the poor audio response. The devs should put a warning in the description and recommend it only for A12 processors and higher. That might hold down sales, but it’s not like they’d sell millions of JammPro’s, and it does look like something people can use for years, when more people have newer iPads.

sorta… I’ve been trying for a week to return something and it’s like pulling teeth. they make the process SO much more difficult than it needs to be. it has to be processed by my “Sweetwater representative” (because yes, I need a direct contact dedicated to me to buy and return a power supply) and he’s taking his sweet time with it, if you will.

1 Like

Elmyra kit, will make a nice couple with the lyra 8 I already own.

1 Like

Yea.
I placed my order Sunday and they had full staff through Monday but that appears to have been the last day on which that was the case.

Thanks for updating. Things are changing fast.

I was going to buy the Zoom or something similar for iOS but realized that the basic lightning-to-1/8" output adapter on my XR sounded shockingly good for my purposes. So my setup is FieldScaper plus Audio Damage fx in Aum going straight into the Rytm input (barely loud enough but if I push the levels it works…) This allows noisy drone stuff from the phone to go post-distortion but pre-comp into the Rytm signal chain for some subtle pumping effects that really help fit everything in the mix.

1 Like

yea, they’re surprisingly good. If I didn’t also need MIDI plus charging at the same time, I’d have just kept rolling with the lightning to 1/8" myself. That’s the primary reason the abandoning of the headphone jack on iPhones irks me. At least iPads still have it (for now?)

Back when I did an album with iPad plus OP-1, I found recording from the iPad’s 1/8" to be not at all noticeably different than rendering the tracks inside the iPad digitally, and importing them via USB. After it touches effects, the small, hardly perceivable gains are gone.

Right.

I was also planning to get a X/Y mic for phone field recordings but found the internal mic was actually better. Since it rolls off some of the highs and lows but still sounds clear the resulting samples have more latitude for mangling, and having them in mono helps place them easier in the stereo field.

1 Like

Digitone (my first Elektron product) and Moog Sirin.

2 Likes

I get around this by wirelessly charging while getting audio out from the lightning to 1/8" adapter.

1 Like

I would too if I didn’t also need MIDI.
Womp womp

yeah. And my current fave, JammPro, won’t even give Bluetooth audio out. My current, though still MIDI-less, plan is to use a USB-C HDMI adapter (Apple makes those, right?), then an HDMI to audio out device if I can find one.

1 Like

Imagine reading this line in 1999. Scifi :rofl:

6 Likes

Not a new purchase, but i gave up on selling my 2 Digitakts. I had sales lined up and 1 was boxed ready to ship. But i just couldn’t sell them. My buyers were very gracious about me keeping them.

So it feels like a new beginning with an old friend.

1 Like

This works great: I get the the iPad’s audio out via my new Apple USB-C/HDMI adapter, then this new little box gives me right and left audio out.

@AdamJay MIDI in through the USB port works fine, too. Isn’t there a similar Apple adapter for Lighting so that you can charge, get audio out, and have MIDI at the same time?

1 Like

Surprisingly no. Haha. Man they’re missing out on another $59!

I use the Lightning to USB3+Charge with a U-24 though, so I am set. And it gives me a couple audio inputs for using the iPhone XS as an FX unit.

1 Like

Finally after stupidly pawning my digitone a year or so ago…

I’ve got everything covered now, more hardware than I originally planned but it all gets used, if something doesn’t work it’ll be sold…I’m always considering adding things to my modular but equally I’ve spent so long buying things based on a specific need that it’s ended up working as a standalone set up…if all my gigs hadn’t been cancelled I would of been out performing!

11 Likes

I’ve had issues with the b-stock Analog Four I bought from Sweetwater since mid-December, finally got it sent to them February 14th and they’ve had it since. I should have gotten it this week but now they’re saying it’ll be a few days because of reasons… I get what’s going on obviously, but it’s just been so long now they’ve actually had it longer than I have. I just wish they sent me a new one or something way back when so I could have my gear back.