What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 1)

Been waiting for this for over a month–finally came just in time for shelter-in-place where I live! I sold my BlackBox to buy this–my intention is beatmaking, sampling my analog synths, remixing old house tracks while sitting on my couch… (although it’s bigger than I expected!).

I’m getting used to the workflow (complicated but nothing like some Elektron boxes) and loving the immediacy of the process. My BB and I just never gelled, but the One already feels like an old friend.

13 Likes

Monologue is a classic. I started (well restarted I guess as I used to have an mQ and DR-770) my hardware setup with a DT and Monologue. Learned waaaay lots from OscillatorSink’s tutorial videos. Everyone should start with a good monosynth, it makes learning everything else so much easier. Link to a good Ifach song? Or one of yours that has same type of style? Currently going through broadening my electronic palate.

3 Likes

Merging Anubis pro. Wow this thing sounds good when listening to my VSTs and plugins. I’m still testing the DA piece of it and I am impressed. I will try the AD soon and hope to take advantage of the 139Db dynamic range. This is a 32 bit interface.

3 Likes

Although am doing most of my stuff out of the box, I started to integrate my iPad more and more into my setup. I run an 808 (Pure Acid) and the Model D on it and use AUFX:Dub and Eos 2 as FX Units in AUM on it. Now I needed a way to be able to route my external Hardware in and out of that “MultiFX-Unit” :slight_smile: After thinking about it for weeks, I went full in and got the MOTU 828es… I love the easy to use Mixer via WIFI, the new updated design (Had the 828mk2 until it died a year ago).
Thought about the UltraLight that cost nearly half as much, but wanted to have 2 ADAT and SPDIF to connect my Fractal Audio Axe FX to it! Finally I can easily route my Synth thou it too!

Ah, I can explain my routing, as the mixer is shown too.
The 4 Subgroups connect to 4 Analog Inputs of the 828, and can be used on the iPad. Subgroup 1+2 are also routed to the Deluge Line IN, so I can sample stuff very easy. As changing routes is easy in the MOTU, I can decide if I want to sample with or without effects.
Send 1, 2, 3 and 4 of the Mixer connect to the next 4 Analog INs of the MOTU, so I am able to use 8 Inputs (or 4 Stereos) to have indivitual FX chains.

I also connected all 8 direct.outs of the mixer (Channel 1 to 8) over ADATA to the MOTU, just to play around with it, by my nearly 10 years old ADA8000 isn’t that good of a shape, than I hoped it would be. Need to replace it with one or two ADA8200 as soon as I need it.

It replaces my Presonus AudioBox iTwo, and I am already happy with the new ways to route Audio.

5 Likes

It’s sick right!? I swapped my 8A and Ultrlite AVB for the 828es. LOVE it!

1 Like

Euchre. You play? Thought that was just a southwestern Ontario thing.

Midwest USA honorable pastime!

2 Likes

Well that makes sense as I grew up south of Detroit and north of Sandusky…

1 Like

Yes, really enjoying mine. Arrived last week. If they ever implement streaming from disk, then I would get rid of my BlackBox, but right now, I need it for very long samples. The MPC can handle long samples, but then you can run out of memory pretty quickly.

5 Likes

Gin or Gin Rummy. 8’s, Hand and Foot, Cribbage. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No pics yet, but I just bought a digitone for a really good price s/h. The lad is hopefully sending it out tomorrow (postal services permitting) so I’m buzzing…to be paired with OT, AR, OB6 and Modular…I’m considering trying to switch my AR for Machinedrum UW if I can find one…but for now the tone will get used in every project certainly

2 Likes

WOW! Congrats! I’m really eyeing this interface for mastering. I was pretty set on getting a Lynx Hilo, but started researching this one. All reports are the AD/DA are ‘better’ (subjectively) than the Hilo and many other mastering grade converters. I’m a little shy about the connectivity though. Not really the technology itself, but quality of the drivers. I’ve been burned on bad drivers before on expensive interfaces, so trying not to make that same mistake again. I was going to use the Hilo on the frontend of an RME interface via AES.

1 Like

It’s a good interface. I was deciding between the Anubis pro, lynx hilo, and symphony MK ii 2 x 6 SE for mastering and critical listening duties. I’m glad I got the Anubis and stopped there. The headphone amp is as solid as my little labs monitor. I have yet to put my Neve MBP through it, but I’m sure it will sound good. I already have a Burl B2 ADC as a reference point so I will compare against that soon. I do have a tendency to treat the Burl like a tape machine. I will let you know how my loop backs go.

My softube plug-ins sound really detailed on this headphone amp. I went through my Arturia plugs and NI plugs and there’s much more detail with this interface.

The only recording I’ve done was stems from my Toraiz SP-16.

1 Like

I’d keep the AR.
As you will learn, Digitone is fantastic at digital drums.

Yea I’m really looking forward to some fm drums, miss my digitone (this will be my second) and I plan to use it more rhythmically…

1 Like

@phaelam @Uija How s the stability of the 828es? I have an 828mk2 that s rocksolid but FW. Also have a hybrid Ultralite mk3 that s been much less reliable. Connection problems coming and going that I have never been able to really pin down. Made me doubt about getting MOTU again.

I have no issues yet. Using it stand alone and with my iPad (was not connected to a computer yet). No problems, connection to iPad it established faster than I can open AUM and choose an input.
The time is too short to give a correct review, but at the moment I cannot be more happy.

ive been using MOTU since 1999/2000…best piece I’ve had from them to date.
it just werks…no issues right out of the box.

VERY happy.

1 Like

I like stuff that werks heel goed :wink: