What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 2)

Yes!! This thing can produce some serious noise. I really love the raw sounding 24db filter…

Made some dance beats today on my new modules:

1 Like

I’ve been purging and buying up the remaining items before the whole “no-new-gear-2022” thing.

Bit the bullet and got a Jomox Modbase MkII as a no-compromise kick drum source, a Tiptop HEK to throw it in (along with my DFAM, to go above the A4) and also a Waldorf NW1, which is being sold for so inexpensively at Thomann and JunoUK there’s no excuse not to get one.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/waldorf_nw1.htm

The final thing is a special box from Retro Mechanical Labs called the 432k Mk2, being built right now. Then done? Hopefully.

10 Likes

Funny that you should mention the Jomox bass kick drum module as I love mine and made a track today with it and it should now be cleaned up and in stereo after some processing with Audacity! I run mine through a touch of reverb and Hexinverter Mutant Hot Glue mixer for compression and distortion:

1 Like

New dust cover for twin Nord 3P’s pads:

24 Likes

Haha, nice one! :+1:

I concur, Bemo. I pestered the hell out of Eventide to send me a license for the H9 plugin suite after I bought the hardware a few days beyond the free-plugin deadline. (It was one of those hundreds-off deals from Prymaxe that are tremendous but can take three months to deliver!) A customer satisfaction person at Eventide was great about the deadline: she sent me a license the day after the H9 arrived. I now use the plugins on at least one instance in every new piece I write. I still need Newfangled’s Generate, though.

How is your Prophet X treating you? I’d have bought one as my main controller if it had had piano-weighted action. The original Prophet 3000 – the one that barely made it to production before the company went out of business – was, despite the bugs, legendary for its flexibility, filters and sound.

1 Like

Do tell, how do you like the Prophet X?

1 Like

As a christmas present for myself I bought a Faderfox EC4 from fellow naut arctor023.
The transaction went perfectly well and I am very happy with it, thanks mate! :slight_smile:

Intention: Actually I wanted the Faderfox simply to control my AS-1 with the fantastic template hausland made for it (thank you so much for sharing it).
Plus for building a template on my own for my Blofeld.
I would like to make more out of both synths instead of just using presets (i.e. the wonderful Soundsets of Don Solaris and Ari Arendt for Blofeld).
So more or less buying the controller as a NGNY action. :wink:

But now I found out that the Faderfox has even so much more to offer for my setup like controlling one or two parameter for several synths simultaneously within one encoder group and more.
I think a deep dive is really worth it.
Quite happy here!

P.S. I have no idea how to embed other people’s names with an “@” in front of it like everybody else does …

12 Likes

@chain25
Just by putting an at sign in front of the copied pasted name of your “target”.

2 Likes

Actually, I think you have to type “@”, start typing the name you want to mention and select them from the list that pops up. @chain25, or @simonbradford

edit: maybe both ways work? :man_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

As @cold_fashioned said

3 Likes

@cold_fashioned wow, thanks! I guess that was just too obvious for me to get it … :rofl:

Of course also thanks to @simonbradford and @phaelam

4 Likes

I’ve been looking at these for a while. Decided to sell my H9 (Which I only used for reverb anyway) and grab one for 15% off. Looking for a more hands on reverb experience and hopefully this’ll check all my boxes. Initial impressions are this thing is huge, and the presets sound great!

19 Likes

@Scrypt and @MarcD, I’ve been using the Prophet X as my master keyboard for about a month, and I’m very happy with it. I needed to get a 61 (or greater) back in there, but did not want weighted action due to the risk of repetitive stress injury in my particular case. Being very inspired by the feel of my Pro 3, I figured I couldn’t miss with the PX, which turned out to be true, as I like the PX’s similar, but lighter action even better. It’s also great having two of those Sequential performance sliders instead of one. I also really like Sequential’s full 4-knob-9-button control interface, which only the P3 and PX have; I’m thinking I’d at least buy for trial any future Sequential device that has that full interface because of how easily and naturally it covers so much territory in such a compact space. The PX’s two additional screens, dedicated to effects and the sample oscillator, are a real boon to tweaking and keeping track of what’s going on. Of course, you pay for all this in this expensive device.

I immediately filled the Prophet X up with all the add-ons 8dio’s made available for it, so it’s nice to have that boatload of quality analog emulations available in one unit. The add-on I’ve liked the best and used the most, though, is Goldbaby’s PPG Wave. That all still leaves me more than 30GB of the 50GB user sample space, but I didn’t get the PX to use as a sampler; I’m not much of a sample person.

I’m also not much of a sound designer. Gravitating toward particular sounds I like, I always seem to end up in that very narrow range so that I’m more of a tweaker of existing presets when I want things to get different. The PX, though, has made actual (but still modest) sound design much more fun and varied for me by treating the sample oscillators as instruments, and not under-featured samplers. It’s clear from Sequential’s promotional info that if you get the thing to be a sampler, you’re going to be very disappointed. You’re either in it for its hybridity, or else it’s hardly worth the price. For me, this degree of sample manipulation and the curated sample collection in lieu of my own (which I don’t have) suits me so well that I find this the easiest device ever for me to come up with original and interesting sounds on my own. Sampled acoustic instruments made odd (but with filtering and subtle to moderate modulation, not exaggerated) and layering with the two conventional oscillators and stacking with the second timbre consistently produce sounds I find relatively easy to get to, fresh, varied, and—most of all—usable. For my own writing, though, I have a strong preference for traditional acoustic instruments (sampled, but top shelf with multiple articulations available), so there’s a taste thing in play here.

I find other kinds of synth sounds just fine and perfectly usable, it’s just that it’s not inspiring to me to go for something personalized (beyond tweaking) because any work I put in hardly approaches what’s already out there and already available for tweaking. I don’t think the PX’s sonic territory will suit as wide a crowd as many other synths, so with the price and the dearth of quality demos (some very warmed over of late), the result is that you don’t see it around much. I guess the PX can also be useful for wedding bands, worship etc. by using it as a rompler and loading up some conventional multisamples, but it’s not worth the price for merely that. MPE’s been a big sacrifice for me due to MPE’s usefulness for microtonal. It’s at least fantasizable that Sequential will someday add MPE due its addition to OB-6 and Prophet-6, but it would have been dumb to buy the PX on that hope. I might have to break down and use Sequential’s onboard tunings, but that’s not going to cover full spectrum microtonal needs. One major box check for me was the PX’s tight integration with Omnisphere’s hardware profile for it: lots of knobs and PX’s four oscillators to control Omnisphere’s similar 4-part architecture. I’ve tried it out, and Omnisphere’s interface does respond nicely and expectedly to moves you make on the PX; maybe I’ll get to all that someday when I’m forced to work ITB.

5 Likes

That’s the Prophet~XL.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, it seems like a very useful instrument for sure, and I can see its appeal as a master keyboard. Probably great for doing scoring type of work as well. I’m usually not so keen on rompers (in the hardware realm), but combined with all the analog filters and sequential synth engine, it seems like a flexible and inspiring sound design tool. You don’t see them around much, so nice to get your take on it, cheers!

1 Like

I should have said, if it had had piano-weighted action and 88 keys. They were so close!

I’m a piano player, so I need 88 weighted on my master controller. I’d have loved to have a version of the Prophet X for that.

GFI Rossie filter pedal for my guitar board

8 Likes

This showed up yesterday. Stoked to have a quick fix sampler with tons of effects - hoping I can suss out a nice workflow with this and the Digitakt.

Intentions: anything and everything, except lo-fi beats

18 Likes