What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 2)

The other reply reminded me of Animal Collective’s use of the M3. The Karma function is one of the reasons I keep mine around, despite the need to have the touchscreen repaired.

why did you choose the Korg M3?
I started making songs on a Korg 0/1W pro that my family had, and I feel that by using it so much I came to understand how the thing worked inside and out. I guess I felt like I had learned the Korg language, if you know what I mean. So when I first heard about the Korg M3, I was excited because it felt like a familiar face coming back. I was really into the idea of the Karma engine too, and how it could throw surprises and twists and turns into the sounds. I really like how you can manage the sounds in detail and how you can kind of rip the thing apart from the inside out.

I’ve also really been into the idea of using current equipment and new technologies and devices. I feel like there’s a lot of interest in older machines and gear, and I’d rather go the other way and try to embrace what’s now or what’s new.

Do you have any favorite features of the M3?
I really like the arpeggiator and the Karma engine. I feel like I can get all kinds of sounds just using combinations of those two. I don’t use a keyboard at all, although sometimes I’ll hook up a guitar with a MIDI pickup, because it’s fun to see how things end up melodically and structurally that way.

5 Likes

It’s such a weird size and shape that I don’t yet know where to put it in my setup. The whole Karma -engine is pure hebrew to me but I need to read the manual.

I measure time by what albums came out at that year and was amazed at how recent the M3 is. It was released 14 years ago in the same year as In Rainbows by Radiohead or Sound Of Silver by LCD Soundsystem.

1 Like

Sonnox Inflator

Make things louder and fatter

4 Likes

intentions: ditching too annoying limitations of 8-track version.
(primarily about 3rd party plugins)

4 Likes

It was $89 per year when I signed about two years ago. Still not a bad price for unlimited downloads.

Bought some long cables to connect all to the mixer without having to keep it on the table (where it took up too much space). The cabinet was given to me by a friend, it seems made for it to be there, I’m still waiting for a second power strip to be able to power the pedals too

11 Likes

…and then this happened. The OpSix is wow. I can hardly wait to get weird with this thing. Wife and child are going to her family’s for the thanksgiving holiday while I am home with a sick cat (actually he’s just really old and can’t be left alone for days at a time) but this will definitely keep me occupied.

17 Likes

I’ve already gone deep down the Black Friday plugin rabbit hole. Going into November I sold some gear to justify it, knowing I would. I’ve settled on these two plugins to close out my plugin buying spree.

6 Likes

OTO BOUM has just arrived.
Kinda hard to get by these days…

Intentions: Compress, drive, filter what’s coming out of my BAM (or not) and find a BIM ; )

21 Likes

Why did you pick this over an Elektron Digitakt or Rytm? Just curious. I’m tempted to pick up a Roland TR-08 to pair with my Roland TB-03 for battery powered jams anywhere but not sure if the TR08 would fit in sound wise for acid squelchy bass or not? Could use with OP1 for a trio of battery powered fun.

The TR-6s is also worth considering for your portable rig. You get the 808, 909, 606 and 707 in both the 6s and 8s, but the 6s is much smaller and battery powered.

The TR-08 should be good for acid - plenty of acid was made with 808s. If the 08 is good, then the 6s or 8s should be better except that the 08 is knobbier.

I acquired an 8s in addition to my Machinedrum because the 8s (and 6s) is all about replicating the classic Roland drum kits, with tweakable models. The MD is is a deep expansion of the 808/909 concept, but the sound is all it’s own. Similarly, the Digitakt and Rythm have their own sounds which are distinct from the classic '80s Roland machines.

If you want a portable TR-808, then a TR-08 would be best, followed by a TR-6s. If you want a portable drum machine to add to your rig, the 6s is hard to beat. If you want to add everything and the kitchen sink, an MC-101 is an interesting choice.

5 Likes

Cool I’ll consider it as my Roland TB03 is a lot of immediate fun and super easy to use. Love the squelchy acid bass. Right now I’m having fun tweaking drum samples on my Squid Salmple that came with my new portable ALM Super Coupe system. Instant modular techno on that modular beat box!

2 Likes

I already owned the BIM and BAM but opted for the AHmkII instead of the BOUM.

Did you consider or maybe already own the AH?

The AH seems great! I had an eye on both (BOUM and AH) but haven’t found an AH(mk2) at a good price until now. Will def try if I can get my hands on one. I’ve done a quick test drive of the BOUM and it’s great, can be very subtle or you can go nuts and destroy everything.

2 Likes

FX shelf trays for the win!

15 Likes

Iv’e owned x2 Rytm and x2 Digitakt in the past, sold both as they weren’t for me. I think the TR-8s is a great pairing for my MPCX. I’ve never even looked into an OP-1 it’s never interested me in the slightest it just seems like a very expensive toy lol

1 Like

did you get soothe2 on sale? if so, where?

I use tbproaudio dseq instead of soothe. Much cheaper and seems to do the same thing. Might want to have a look

I received this in the mail, so, starting next Friday.

2 Likes

Sorry I keep posting guitar stuff in an electronic music forum. This is just my favorite place to talk gear. A coworker sold me this 5w stack for $300. perfect amp for the studio. It sounds wonderful.

17 Likes