What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 2)

My new Mackie Onyx 16 just arrived

I look forward to exploring this over the weekend it’s very surprisingly light but feels well built

17 Likes

Would love to know how the sound quality is on this. Used to own the original FireWire model, and it was ok but I think the channel strips were slightly wooly sounding.

SecretLab chairs are awesome, I’ve had a Titan for years - but let me give you a warning and some advice if you want it to last: PLEASE get a plastic floor mat for your work space.

The reason I say this is because the material used for the seat combined with extra friction from the carpet will cause the chair to deteriorate REALLY fast as you roll the chair around, even just pushing yourself back from the desk. Had mine on hardwood for 2.5 years, not the slightest bit of wear to be seen - we moved into a different apartment where I had to set up on carpet, and the seat of the chair was completely trashed in a couple of months but only the seat itself, not the back or anything (this is pretty short carpet too).

Love the chair and enjoy it, just make it easy to roll around so it lasts!

1 Like

Oh wow. Thanks for the tip - better look into a mat then! Yes its nice and comfy - away on hols at moment so only put a few hours on it before i left :slight_smile:

I was at a circle K once and I saw the person working there taking the little bits of coffee left in all the different coffee pots and pouring them all into the one labeled ‘house blend’… soooo…. it sounds like they have upgraded from that method lol? Haven’t been in years since I moved.

4 Likes

The CK near me was just built a little over a year ago and these are the machines they use.

https://www.schaerer.com/us/coffee-machines/schaerer-coffee-art-c-schaerer-usa

My only complaint is that there’s no sequencer and only one LFO.

4 Likes

Rytm owners got this.

1 Like

moved to the Coffee Thread:

1 Like

Finally :wink:

This device is highly addictive. Since I can’t live without samples, I will use it together with my DT. If (as I fear) two sequencers are too complicated for me, I’ll use my M8 as sampling add-on for the ST. Let’s see.

30 Likes

I see this sentiment all over the place. Not sure where it comes from. I’m a million miles off being a power user but I run DT, DN and A4, genuinely not complicated or difficult, feels like a single machine spread over a few boxes (depending on your use case).

9 Likes

:thup:

IMG_1929
Shadow Wolf cyberzine issue 11 and Alpenmarmot: unheimliche Landschaftsgestaltung from Legowelt
Intentions: to read, to listen and to enjoy life

12 Likes

For me, this is just a guess at the moment. I think handling two or more projects (in terms of file handling and device settings) at the same time is quite an administrative act.

At the moment, I’m happy with the situation because I can use the skills I acquired with the DT directly on the ST. Normally when I get new gear, I listen to the presets first. The first thing I did with the Syntakt was to create a pattern. A good sign :wink:

1 Like

Yes, this is the downside. Setting everything up multiple times. The only shortcut that I was told is to setup a project to your liking and do a ‘save project as’… Saves a little bit of admin :slight_smile:

DT & ST is a great combo for muscle memory, same hardware layout but different sounds.
Really does feel like one is an extension of the other, pattern change works, song modes are the same.
(I get easily overwhelmed by multiple anything, and these two have felt manageable so far)

2 Likes

A while back, I rerouted midi cables and inadvertently wound up running my Digitakt and MiniFreak sequencers together. I almost crapped my pants with joy. I’m using an RC-505 as master clock + start / stop for DT and MF with a midi Solutions Quadra Thru and can switch patterns and patches independently (on the fly). Now I feel a lot freer where it counts.

4 Likes

27 Likes

I usually tap out at around 3 Elektrons at a time. I think the ST+DT should be totally fine to manage simultaneously – plus they’re very similar controls with the same physical knobs and buttons.

I have a harder time adding the M8 to a larger setup though, because it just pulls me in and I don’t focus on anything else, but that’s probably not a bad thing

2 Likes

I never thought I’d say this but I just got a Teenage Engineering OP-Z with OP-LAB installed for a steal on FeeBay. It will be used with my Sleepy Circuits Hypno to midi sequence presets and glitch video with CV’s (and to make noises, of course).

I’ve been using an Arturia MicroLab and Moog Mavis to work the Hypno and the OP-Z will free up a lot of space in addition to lightening my load significantly.

2024 will be a year of releasing GAS.

3 Likes

Credit where credit is due, this is a beautiful bit of packaging and absolutely worthy of a 25 year anniversary. Lovely job, Elektron. My intentions are obvious but also to hold on to this one as long as possible. I ordered one back upon the initial release but never got to spend any time with it as I had to pass it on immediately due to unforeseen employment complications.

32 Likes