What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 2)

The Zoom R4 just arrived. It is a little bit bigger than the H2s. The plastic is textured rather than smooth, which I like. What I don’t like is that it rings if you tap it, reminding me of the old H4. However, this is a multitrack recorder with a token microphone, so it really shouldn’t be judged on self noise.

Plans: do some basic multitracking and layering and no input mixing, all in 32 bit. Without a computer.

I’m not quite done building the stand for the 828mk3. This version will probably stay white. I have another version that will be black with gold accents, still a few more days of painting left.

7 Likes

So no rubber texture on the R4 huh? Hopefully zoom learned their lesson.

3 Likes

Bought a Warm Audio WA-CX12 tube microphone while they’re on sale this month. It is based on the AKG C12, which was an extremely versatile microphone in its own right. The WA-CX12 will primarily be used for vocals and should be a nice addition to my microphone locker.

This is my fourth Warm Audio microphone purchase over the past couple months. The WA-47, WA-67, and WA-87 R2 truly impressed me. If the WA-251 and WA-8000 go on sale soon, I might add them as well.

5 Likes

Congrats on the M8! Did you already get to play around with it yet, and have you joined the discord???

1 Like

AE Octatrack in the house. Unplanned purchase whilst away visiting sick family member - popped up for a decent price on eBay so couldnt resist. Not sure wether to trade when time to fly back home or run into my other AE Octatrack with my Monomachine / Machinedrum and M8 in the Inputs lol

Second purchase was a gamble on the Yamaha low latency wireless (4ms) headphones. Hate being cabled etc. they get mixed reviews with some people complaining about interference etc but so far so good but only a few hours in.

20 Likes

27 Likes

Really glad I saw this post - had never heard of Sononym but will definitely buy it during Black Friday.
:+1:

Yes, it’s a blast! I’ve whipped up a few short tunes on it so far, and have gotten used to the synths, tables, structure, etc. I’m nearly as fast on it now as if I was tracking on a computer. :slight_smile: I wasn’t nearly this quick on the Polyend. All of the keypresses make perfect sense, and you forget about them after about an hours, and your hands just do what they’re supposed to do. Absolutely loving it!

I’m not on Discord at all actually, so didn’t join.

1 Like

In the latest in the series of me buying little known gear and hidden gems - Ambika, a hybrid synth from Mutable Instruments. Six voice poly with digital / wavetable oscillators (related to Braids I believe) and analogue filters. Mine has the SVF multimode filters and they remind me of the 6R I had, though they don’t have multimode filters. It’s certainly challenging my Peak in some areas.

12 Likes

Looks gorgeous in that clear case! I had one for a while too but in the end I found the interface too tedious so had to let it go. Great sound though…

1 Like

The case is nice but not marked up so bit harder for the newbie. Programming seems intuitive, like an ESQ1. I do plan to make a midi surface for it in some controller app though.

1 Like

Right on! Ive never used the OG Tracker, but I have the Tracker Mini and I am not a fan at all. M8 is just the BIZNESS.

1 Like

nabbed a quadraverb for cheap, still waiting on cables to arrive tomorrow so i can hook it up but everything seems to be working fine (fingers crossed), i need to get the chip upgrade still tho, i want to play with that resonator.

15 Likes

The big Tracker is actually a really nice instrument. The buttons are nice, the overall feel is great. I’ve been reading about some issues with the new mini, but the big one that I had was lovely.

That said, the M8 clicked with me faster, has really nice synths to mix with the samples, and just works for me on autopilot like an Elektron, so I’m having a blast with it in the minutes I get here and there to play. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Octatrack in coming and finally time to get a live set together!

22 Likes

Fixed.

3 Likes

It’s back.

38 Likes

I caught a KARP!

Initial thoughts over in the KARP 2600m thread, and more to follow.

20 Likes

Black panel for Sputnik Variable Waveform Generator.

Intentions: Drum and Bass Modular synth

16 Likes

Nice! I still have a fully working Quadraverb Plus lying in my garage. Didn’t know it was still considered useful. What are the distinctive features? Lofi reverbs?

3 Likes