What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 2)

What is the general vibe with these ones? They sortof look like they should be color/character based, but I believe they can do more clean/transparent sounding stuff.

1 Like

Since I can’t afford a prophet 5 I bought Softube model 80 and a soundforce SFC-5 to program it. Poor mans prophet. Sounds really good.

17 Likes

From what I can tell so far, they’re mostly transparent. Molot/Molotok seems to be the big exception, as it clearly is tweaked to add as much colour as possible. SlickEQ (not SlickEQ M) also has a bunch of different “models” to introduce different characters and colourisation options, but can sound pretty clean too.
Especially with Limiter 6 and Nova I haven’t yet managed to drastically change the overall character of the audio. They’re all pretty subtle, I’d say.

As previously mentioned, I recommend Dan Worrall’s demos for TDR, at least for judging the plugins’ behaviour: Video Tutorials | Tokyo Dawn Knowledge Base

Yeah, IME they’re very transparent plugins. The SlickEQ’s models are very subtle, even when cranked up. SlickEQ M’s low and high saturation is more noticeable to me, making the bass thicker and highs a bit more lush. I have a separate “clean mastering” template using mostly TDR plugins.

1 Like

Thanks folks, I’m exploring stuff that adds colour to a sound at the mo and thought these fell into that category. These look great regardless, and at the current prices I imagine it’s a sick bundle. Not for me right now, but hope you enjoy!

2 Likes

If you’re looking for a dead simple and free saturation plugin, I highly recommend ToTape6 by AirWindows. I’ve been using it in all my tracks, even my “clean” ones.

Another plugin I keep coming back to is Phoenix by Shattered Glass Audio. There’s a free stripped down version of it called SGA1566 which is one of the models from Phoenix (the one I use the most, too!)

5 Likes

Ah, interesting. I put this one on the “to check” list and didn’t get round to it. I’ll grab the demo of this one as it does look quite interesting!

1 Like

The demo is really cpu hungry in comparison, but it sounds the same as that model on the Phoenix. It’s different for everyone so you’ll probably be exploring a bit, but SGA1566 and Phoenix just sounds exactly how I want my saturation to sound. I did check out a bunch of different saturation plugins after Phoenix, but it’s just right for me. Hope it suits you, too =D

A Doepfer Dark Time.

Intentions: to sequence in a ‘70s stylee.

21 Likes

I am looking for a 3rd party stylus, too.
Which brand did you choose?

Going to show this to visitors and see if they can guess what each control and jack is for.

19 Likes

I zoomed in on the photo wondering the same, and i think it is this one:

2 Likes

Got one too. I’m finding it a little wonky with PDF viewer but I’m hoping an update will fix it. I actually prefer it to the Apple Pencil.

2 Likes

I can’t afford the full versions…but have been using the free version of Nova. Seems pretty great, like it a lot. I don’t buy plugins, I just use Logics set, but I’d like to buy the full TDL set one day when I am able :+1:t6:

2 Likes

Ordered an Akai MPC Key 61 yesterday for an all-in-one, transportable R&B songwriting and rough demo setup that can also record vocal, guitar, and bass parts. The keyboard version seemed like a better option for the said use-case compared to my Akai MPC Live II. Time and experience will tell if keeping both Akai MPC units is beneficial.

7 Likes

yeah, Baseus.
this brand is popular here in Ukraine, their accessories are decent, and the prices are on the fine side.

2 Likes

Don’t let them touch the history eraser button! The red, candy-like button!

11 Likes

The push has not been as inspiring to me as id hoped, I’m going to see what putting some traditional keys back into my workflow does to my sounds.

12 Likes

Lest they get the spaaaaaace maaaaaadness….

6 Likes

Confession: I did something irrational, almost stupid today. Ordered an Oxi One Black Edition although I have the standard one already… but the Black looks so great, I just had to. Let’s just hope I can sell the standard one for a good price to reduce the cost… sigh

2 Likes