What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 2)

First guitar for about 30 years
Intention: Death metal & drop tuning

29 Likes

Hell yes! Keep us posted when/if you get some songs online! Been on a bit of a death metal trip myself lately. Okay, mostly just Morbid Angel! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Will do! Been working through the Relapse back catalog myself, was surprised to find Merzbow (ok maybe shouldnā€™t be surprised) and Dillinger Escape Plan with releases on there too.

3 Likes

For me the first couple of Dillinger albums (canā€™t really stand ā€ā€math coreā€ā€ otherwise) were kinda the epitome of Relapse around 2000. Although I gotta say I didnā€™t follow Relapse as religiously as some other labels. Bless Relapse for the early Amorphis albums tho! (Even though they ripped the band off pretty royally if Iā€™m not mistaken. May also have been just a standard way of doing business with young, inexperienced bands, especially back in the 90s.)

3 Likes

Thereā€™s so much good stuff on that label. Iā€™m no expert either, but itā€™s filled with class nuggets that Iā€™ve not heard before:

6 Likes

Check out their original run, personally I think that that comeback album is very mediocre

Relapse is a great label, theyā€™ve released multiple classics from all of the genres I really like: sludge metal, grindcore, death metal and noise rock. Even shoegaze with Nothing & True Widow. Oh and all those Merzbow reissues, too

3 Likes

Yeah thereā€™s loads more to Relapse than I had realised, picking albums at random is good fun.
Itā€™s going to take quite a long time to browse it all!

theyā€™re honestly one of my favourite labels, hereā€™s a few favourites off the top of my head:

dead world - collusion & the machine (industrial metal, main dude later formed power electronics project deathpile)
nightstick - blotter (noise rock / sludge)
today is the day - temple of the morning star (noise rock)
soilent green - sewn mouth secrets (grindcore / sludge)
zombi - surface to air (goblin-esque synth prog)
unsane - visqueen (the best noise rock album)
unearthly trance - stalking the ghost (sludge metal)

and thereā€™s like dozens of good albums to recommend after those.

2 Likes

Cheers for the pointers!
Itā€™s a good job I have music to keep me same amongst the endless spreadsheets of my work lifeā€¦

1 Like

No kidding, I dont understand how some people can do it without music

2 Likes

A handmade C-Series contact mic from Jez Riley French (https://jezrileyfrench.co.uk/):

Intentions: feed more sounds/noises into DT

12 Likes

I thought it was to monitor your heartbeats when doing music. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah. Thanks :pray:.

(I saw the video some time ago but the built-in effects are more then enough for my needs).

1 Like

Serge TKB. had my eye out for one ever since I got the Serge system. one popped up locally for a great price so I couldnā€™t resist. VERY fun sequencer/interactive touch interface. different than working with other sequencers, and an excellent way of interacting with the Serge.

29 Likes

All that, and Cave In just signed to Relapse for their new album and reissues of their whole back catalogue (except Antenna, because Sonyā€¦) \0/

Also those first couple of Mastodon, DEP & Burnt By The Sun recordsā€¦ Late 90s early 00s Relapse was killer

3 Likes

Wow!!! :flushed:

1 Like

A phrase I will never likely use in Great Bend, KS. About anything. Except maybe a cow or something.

9 Likes

haha! yeah I was pretty surprised too actually. this is the Cleveland area. so not quite as remoteā€¦ dude is actually selling off like ten Serge (or Serge-like) panels and a bunch of Ciat Lonbarde stuff. and I wish I could justify buying more, of course :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Indonesian Angklung. Not a purchase- they were donated to a drum circle I partake in and I was interested enough to end up with these three.

Intention: bring beautiful pitched percussive tones wherever I go and record some for ambient bliss

17 Likes

I dream of a CL TĆ©trax but the price is too hot for meā€¦

1 Like