What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 2)

I’ve continued on a bit of a software splurge and I picked up a very good deal for a second-hand Ableton Live 11 Suite license for less than £250. I like a lot of the stock devices and the bundled content is really good.

I was also REALLY curious about the Fors M4L devices from our friend @Ess so I picked up Opal and Kit to get started. They’re excellent, having fun already.

I’m tempted to dabble with M4L myself but the interface scares the bejesus out of me. I need to start at the very beginning but I’ve used modular design stuff before and even coded my own Reason rack device once so I reckon I’m up to the task.

1 Like

The Avedis MA5 is a Neve flavor. I thought about picking up a BAE 1073MPL (and still might).

There seemed to be a consensus (amongst top engineers) that the AMS Neve 1073LB was inferior in most aspects to the BAE 1073MPL, so I ruled out the AMS Neve unit.

3 Likes

IPAD 4
Got it from work for 10 bucks. Want to use it as a duet monitor for my studio mac. Plan is to have the master analyzer running on it. And maybe some more plugins I always want in sight.

2 Likes

For sure as far as playability and reliability go, and they also make a 64 button version of it too, which looks like a blast to play!

I don’t think I have ever gotten any pads with velocity or pressure sensitivity working correctly and without double triggers etc. so I just gave up (the double triggers are so annoying when you are practicing finger drumming with something like melodics). The buttons I like way better and it is easier to just automate velocity after the fact than correct it (and remove double triggers) after the fact.

1 Like

Hexinverter’s Mutant BD9 came in today to finish off my analog drum rack. :content:

The white faceplates are 909 voices, the black faceplates are 808.

Love their drum modules, been sequencing everything from Ableton Live and using Serum’s LFO’s for modulation.

10 Likes

After months of thinking about and postponing it, I caved and bought a Yamaha Pacifica 112JL. My intention is to finally start learning to play the guitar (instead of getting fed up with it after a week or two and returning it - like I did the last two times I bought one, though those were acoustic guitars).
First impressions are great. Love the sound, look and feel of this thing, it’s incredibly light and well-balanced and its HSS configuration is extremely versatile.

And while my ultimate goal is to play ambient-ish stuff, maybe a bit of Durutti Column, this book and its more traditional curriculum will be my companion for the next few weeks and months:

Oh, and I also finally got Mike Adamo’s The Breakbeat Bible after reading through the Conditional Breakbeats with rytm in 1 bar thread and trying out @tladb’s examples.

19 Likes

I plan to run my Digitakt and synths through this for some grit. Not a permanent change, because I love multitracking through Overbridge, but it’ll be nice to simplify on certain tracks.

37 Likes

I wish you all success with your guitar.

1 Like

While I got an SG recently because it caught my eye and plays wonderfully, this Tele also caught my eye and was a perfect excuse to have my first Tele but also be a great studio guitar (VST vs actual AMP). Teles are extremely versatile and also have a unique sound when the tone knob is all the way up.

It’s a Fender Player Series Plus Maple Top Sienna Burst. Never thought it would be my thing but oh my goodness does it sound good clean.

EDIT: As someone famously said (be it for the base models) the only difference between MIM and MIUSA is 60 miles :upside_down_face:

18 Likes

Just got the LXR Drum module from Erica Synths x Sonic Potions.
Turns out I like digital drum noises quite a lot!

Intention is to complement the QD and Plonk with more voices/layers.

10 Likes

two USB –> 12V DC & two USB –> 9V DC power cables.
intention: running MAM MB-33 Retro, Waldorf Rocket & Roland HandSonic HPD-15 off power banks.

2 Likes

Another sampler

Intention 8 bit grunge to FSU.

23 Likes

Oh my. That Fuse pedal looks right up my alley. Thank you kindly. *Tips hat and skips offstage merrily.

1 Like

What do you think of Qex? I don’t know where I’d put it (no space in the skiff with QD in it…).

Got to get that Heat for the quad-force.

2 Likes

snagged a new display for the desk setup after having a hacky 24” for about 5 years. great to finally have a hi dpi / nits

intention: doing graphics & for a more expansive arrangement view

bit pricey, but the ergonomics are fantastic, as is the single connection for power and vision

11 Likes

I recently got this very cool and uncomon pedal: the Hors d’Oeuvre from Fairfield Circuitry.

It’s essentialy a looper / blender with feedback and phase control of wet and feedback signal. Can also be a 2:1 mixer or split a signal to two output, a sort of routing swiss army knife. I love this thing! You can completly change the way other pedals work when combining them in the feedback loop of this thing.
And the input have a nice warm sound when you push it too hard, so it can work as a light drive for synths or drum machine.

I made a video about it on my channel for the curious amongst you:

I don’t want to get framed like last time about promoting myself over here so I just want to be clear that the videos I do are for sharing my passion for tweaking knobs. Let the link be removed if judged unapropriate.

EDIT: Here is another super cool video about this thing by Sarah Bell Reid.

16 Likes

I’ve never been like, OMG, I MUST have a big super expensive synth, but I played one of these the other day in the music store and HOLY SHIT did it sound incredible. Everything about it was next level to me. Like, EVERY. THING.

Mad jelly, but at least I still have both my kidneys… T _ T

1 Like

It’s really nice with individual outs for all voices and also the extra cv in’s. I trend to always use all voices on it so for me it adds a lot of value.
What I did not know but came as a nice surprise is the 4 extra internal and freely assignable LFOs!

1 Like

RTFM and books…
In addition to solving my library’s overweight problem.

12 Likes