What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 2)

12 Likes

Ooh, if there’s one thing I regret ever selling it’s my collection of four Electrix rack units. I loved Repeater and Mo-Fx especially.

4 Likes

I played my cards wisely and instead of buying either of the monosynths I was contemplating, I shortened my credit card debt and then I stumbled into an expanded Korg M3 locally with the memory and firewire-expansions installed (but no keyboard) for 350€. Really looking forward to getting it delivered to my bookshop tomorrow at noonish.

I don’t know what it is with me and these vintage flagship romplers. This will be an excellent addition to my V-Synth and my XV-5080.

12 Likes

I actually set foot in a Guitar Center today to pick up this 1 Spot combo pack.
Intentions are to confirm or deny that the RPW-7 is a noisy bastard.
Even if it’s not, I can use the 1 spot at the table full-time & discontinue the practice of moving the boss back and forth from the guitar wall to the table.

time to start wiring.

6 Likes

Dayum that’s a deal.

1 Like

Lumen’s very cool. When I had an OP-Z, inspired by a video in some thread here, I looked into it because the OP-Z’s video stuff is just a toy. I’ve since moved on to TouchDesigner, which is much more powerful and elaborate, but has a monster learning curve, which I don’t care because the people I work with handle the graphics. TouchDesigner is free, though. Checking out Lumen’s latest demo, I see it’s now looking more powerful than I recall, so I might spring for it to get pleasing video results within my abilities and time.

ADDED: Here’s that OP-Z video:

3 Likes

What a beauty. I think Panda Bear used one of these on his album Tom Boy. He would process his guitar through it, which would trigger a bunch of samples (a la Disco Inferno).

2 Likes

I traded my Polivoks for an 0-Coast. Don’t know what I’ll do with it yet.

2 Likes

Gas accomplished

14 Likes

Just received my two Boundary (I’ll call them “the boundaries” I guess hahaha) from Schlappi Engineering !
Very cool module, well laid out, tons of patch programmability, great at both audio rate and sub audio thing. First demo video already in the box, should be online by friday :wink:

12 Likes

Love Schlappi modules the angle grinder and 100 grit is endless fun!

1 Like

The other reply reminded me of Animal Collective’s use of the M3. The Karma function is one of the reasons I keep mine around, despite the need to have the touchscreen repaired.

why did you choose the Korg M3?
I started making songs on a Korg 0/1W pro that my family had, and I feel that by using it so much I came to understand how the thing worked inside and out. I guess I felt like I had learned the Korg language, if you know what I mean. So when I first heard about the Korg M3, I was excited because it felt like a familiar face coming back. I was really into the idea of the Karma engine too, and how it could throw surprises and twists and turns into the sounds. I really like how you can manage the sounds in detail and how you can kind of rip the thing apart from the inside out.

I’ve also really been into the idea of using current equipment and new technologies and devices. I feel like there’s a lot of interest in older machines and gear, and I’d rather go the other way and try to embrace what’s now or what’s new.

Do you have any favorite features of the M3?
I really like the arpeggiator and the Karma engine. I feel like I can get all kinds of sounds just using combinations of those two. I don’t use a keyboard at all, although sometimes I’ll hook up a guitar with a MIDI pickup, because it’s fun to see how things end up melodically and structurally that way.

5 Likes

It’s such a weird size and shape that I don’t yet know where to put it in my setup. The whole Karma -engine is pure hebrew to me but I need to read the manual.

I measure time by what albums came out at that year and was amazed at how recent the M3 is. It was released 14 years ago in the same year as In Rainbows by Radiohead or Sound Of Silver by LCD Soundsystem.

1 Like

Sonnox Inflator

Make things louder and fatter

4 Likes

intentions: ditching too annoying limitations of 8-track version.
(primarily about 3rd party plugins)

4 Likes

It was $89 per year when I signed about two years ago. Still not a bad price for unlimited downloads.

Bought some long cables to connect all to the mixer without having to keep it on the table (where it took up too much space). The cabinet was given to me by a friend, it seems made for it to be there, I’m still waiting for a second power strip to be able to power the pedals too

11 Likes

…and then this happened. The OpSix is wow. I can hardly wait to get weird with this thing. Wife and child are going to her family’s for the thanksgiving holiday while I am home with a sick cat (actually he’s just really old and can’t be left alone for days at a time) but this will definitely keep me occupied.

17 Likes

I’ve already gone deep down the Black Friday plugin rabbit hole. Going into November I sold some gear to justify it, knowing I would. I’ve settled on these two plugins to close out my plugin buying spree.

6 Likes

OTO BOUM has just arrived.
Kinda hard to get by these days…

Intentions: Compress, drive, filter what’s coming out of my BAM (or not) and find a BIM ; )

21 Likes