What's your all-time favourite DRUM Machine?

Acidlab Drumatix. Because, it takes my previous favourite classic, and improves on it. Though, I’ll tip my hat to +1 to the OG Tanzbar mention above. Both underrated, and possibly very desirable in the future.

1 Like

Syntakt

2 Likes

rytm :fire:

3 Likes

Monomachine

1 Like

Any synth is a drum machine if you’re brave enough.

“a monosynth with a capable sequencer” is probably my favourite drum machine, but it is not the most generally useful drum machine.

7 Likes

Great when paired with a sampler

1 Like

No votes for SP-16?

6 Likes

Interesting thread, currently running ableton into my OT but looking to get a DT, nord drum 3P or a TR-8s instead… lots of love for the rytm as well which i sold recently. I am hesistant to purchase a mk1; haven’t touched one yet.

Everybody gettin down make no mistake

Nothing sounds quite like the

3 Likes

808 I guess BUT I do love what the sp-1200 sounds like. Absolutely adore it, actually. But it’s not a drum machine, so… Still wish I could get one.

1 Like

For me it’s the Analog Rytm 2. It really feels like working with a premium instrument. Sounds like one too. You can build plenty of kits and projects to make it work for you, Samples or analog or both. All it’s sequencer trickery and probability are unmissable once you are used to it. It’s awesome and all I ever want in a drummachine. There is still so much functionality to discover, can’t imagine ever getting bored with it.

5 Likes

Machinedrum mk2 UW+

No hesitation.
Although I love the Syntakt, I love the playability of the MD, I can really get a thing that get me dancing in no time.

CTRL-AL + Reload is incredibly well done, although looking at the following machines one can ask themselves if this wasn’t pure luck. Fn+knob then Fn+Reload feels just immediate and natural, with the same two fingers. Why hasn’t such shortcut been implemented on the following machines?
Plus for some reason the machine parameters are rather well aligned for Ctrl-AL. It just sounds lovely.

The resampling might be one of my favorite synthesis type, actually. I love doing some crazy bass line, resample it and mangle it further. The filters are ace on top of this.

Yes, the sound is a bit aging, maybe, but I always have the Deco behind and it just polishes the sound to my need.
Yes, I always mess between the Mutes and the Grid mode, I hate this.
Yes, I’d rather have the modern sequencer.
And yes, I would love being able to save Sounds.
Oh, and I certainly own a couple drum machines too much.

But the day a Machinedrum mk3 is out… it will be mine, yes, it will be mine.

12 Likes

Another Machinedrum UW+ mk2 vote, though Digitakt is an inch behind.

MDUW is like a vintage car I keep well maintained in the garage and only take out for the occasional spin. It’s an absolute blast when I do, but I wouldn’t want it to be my daily driver like it used to be ten years ago.

Digitakt is the newer vehicle with better efficiency, safety ratings, modern connectivity, and overall makes for a smoother ride when you need to get somewhere. I don’t have the nostalgic, emotional connection I have with my MDUW, but there is a lot of joy to be found in something that just works.

6 Likes

i love the smeary samples when pitched down

1 Like

My Digitakt. Better sounds than my old Akai.

1 Like

Same here. But I’m a very pragmatic person so I finally sold the MDUW.
Digitakt opened me a world of gear as an instrument, jamming, etc. that didn’t knew until then. So much fun. But I don’t like samples based drum machines so I will say Syntakt as I’m reminded every day for the last week of these first day feelings but with a synth drum machine.

1 Like

Gotharman Spazedrum

Sounds like no other.
Major routing and frightening efx
Modular in nature granular beauty

i miss my Machinedrum for sheer fun, but having tried just about everything over the years from DR-660 to RYTM, my favourite has to be the TR-6S because that’s the one i’m getting the most use out of and that seems to fit my needs best. and it runs on batteries and fits in a manbag!!

2 Likes

Just G R E A T! I have both…

1 Like

Thanks, I might get one. I never found a drum machine I like yet. I mean, not true, but not a keeper. I loved the Nord Drum3P but the form factor killed it for me. I have a Volca Drum, that is very good, but it feels a bit toyish. I’d love and ND2, but can’t justify the 2nd hand price. TR6-S is the right size, (I don’t care about the sequencer) and seems to have a lot of scope for sound design, small, batteries, samples…ok. I should just try one.