What's some gear you want you know you'll never own?

Buchla Music Easel or Arp2600. Please?

3 Likes

Synthi 100 - go big or go home :rofl:

Been a dream of mine since seeing Malcolm Clarke using one to make the soundtrack for an adaption of “There will come soft rains” by Ray Bradbury.
You can see the clip here:

There are about 100,000 reasons why I will never own one though.

10 Likes

Buchla Music Easel. To be fair, even if I did have the funds, I probably don’t have the degree of virtuosity to get the most out of it, nor the patience, but it sounds so lovely in the right hands (Suzanne Ciani, Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith).

5 Likes

Of all the interesting stuff in that post, this is what made me smile the most - love it :slight_smile:
(I’m definitely old enough to relate)

1 Like

Too expensive for me, and take too many space. But yeah, I like the sound I hear from youtube.

4 Likes

Neve 1073 DPX. Won’t happen at that price.

1 Like

I’ve had a huge mancrush on the MPC-X for the last week.

I think I maybe endured through it. No more GAS.

I talked some sense to myself and even though I could easily max out my credit card and buy one, I decided not to. That would’ve made half of the stuff on my synth table at the moment obsolete. I loved the idea of having an SSD drive inside it and the convenience of having a SD-card slot instead of the floppy disk drive of my QY-700 and SU-700. The idea of being able to start a composition on hardware and continuing it in software and clicking all the notes in their right places with a mouse is certainly very appealing. Also having everything backed up on my computer sounds like heaven. Still it’s a whole new ecosystem to get used to and I love my Yamahas and Elektrons.

Now that I see so many people mention the PerFourmer in this thread I started mildly GASsing for one. I know there’s one for sale second hand in my hometown ATM. It’s not that expensive either. Damn.

3 Likes

I can’t think of any!

…that can guarantee I’d write a better music. The only thing I’ve been missing in knowledge (and time, of course).

4 Likes

Buying gears is not to make a better music, it’s just for the pleasure.

Yes and for the user interface, for me this is still where most gear fails to hit the mark in one way or another.

2 Likes

In that case… call everyone!

OTO Biscuit…

they’re just too expensive. to the point where i might try and build a half arsed version rather than think about buying one.
If I had that much money I would buy a Yamaha FS1r instead… but I feel like I’ll only feel justified in doing that when I make the price of one out of making/performing music…
and will I ever actually do that in today’s climate… possibly not.

Also I am old, and by all accounts may not have enough time left to learn to program an FS1r :wink:

5 Likes

surprised to see the Perfourmer on so many people’s lists. not because it’s not an amazing synth, just because I don’t see it as that unattainable. I got mine used for about $900 but even new, it still costs around what a lot of Elektron machines do.

my list…? probably the main one would be an analog console. just because even though I’d like to work with one and could afford a decent one, I’m not sure I can gel with the work flow.

I have to agree with @Scot_Solida though that I own or have owned a lot of synths where I’ve thought “I’ll never have that…” and then eventually, years later, there they were. that said, vintage synths have gone up in price a lot in the past decade. I bought an OSCar for about $1500 back in 2009 and they’re double that now.

6 Likes

Oberheim Matrix 12
Buchla 700
Moog One

1 Like

Music gear: Martin D-28
Non music gear: Harley Softail Slim

I don’t think I could justify almost $3k on a guitar when my Martin $500 ish X model sounds great but one can dream. As for the cycle I’ll end up dead so that doesn’t work for me.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, drum kit for me.

I really want to learn how to play rhythms but the Nord Drum 2+ pad never worked for me. I’d need a full at least digital/mesh kit to feel closer to the real thing. And space for my arms and elbows to wave about, alongside getting my feet to respond properly.

I’d also love a Mutator, a full Polivox, and a filled modular case.

1K€ is expensive for a toy that can’t work alone. DT or DN are about 500€ used and work alone. I just can’t spend all my money for the month in a synth.
For a professional producer, I think it’s ok anyway.

50 euros every month x 10 months = DT or DN

Maybe around 2011 I wanted a Korg DW-8000 so badly, but didn’t think I’d be able to afford one before the prices rose to out of my range. Now I own two. The Novation Peak was announced, and I didn’t think I’d be able to afford one. Now I’ve got one. The MiniKorg 700 seemed too rare and expensive for my blood, but I managed to get my hands on one of those too!

It’s good for me to remember how things can change whenever I think something might be out of my reach. I just keep my eyes open, a deal is always right around the corner and I always encounter things when I least expect. The gear I listed isn’t the rarest or most expensive, but they seemed soooooo unattainable for me that I couldn’t even conceive of owning them. So, to meet the thread criteria, the Maxi-Korg 800DV is the gear I want but “know” I’ll never own. Expensive, rare, old, and sought after. Knowing how things have gone in the past, maybe I’ll find one locally for $200 needing minor repairs… Or… maybe someone on the boards has one they want to get rid of???

I hope that any folks reading this thread who have just started out on the gear journey experience incredible luck and trip right into the gear of their dreams!

1 Like

gear dreams:

high end mixer like API 1608 MKII or Speck LiLo w/500 series racks
eventide H9000
a good TT patch bay for the studio
madi card + RME M 32 AD/DA

mostly i want lot’s of time to work on music more than i want more gear. if i can’t do it w/what i have then i probably can’t do it.

3 Likes