What's next for Elektron?

I think it would be sweet if they made an effects unit with granular/glitchy effects… I don’t know this would work but I think it would be neat if you could use those effects for visuals too. My brother flies a drone and captures alot 4k footage, would be neat to degrade that through a Digi effects unit of some sort.

There’s no virtual analogue synth in their product line-up, and no digital drum synth either.

Both of which I would like to see.

4 Likes

Digidrum like a mini MD.

6 Likes

DigiDrum or DigiWave (table) I bet

4 Likes

I wonder if Elektron is going to start adding faders to the new Digis? Gotta keep pace with Roland. :joy::tongue:

3 Likes

A sampling looper/mixer with enough fx and routing flexibility to be be highly granular or a more user-friendly octatrack or virtual tape recorder. I’m stuck on the name though. Digimemory? Digidata? Digitalaudioworkstation?

1 Like

I can’t help but feel a Digidrum would be a bit redundant only because the Digitakt–though it is a sampler–is really focused on sampling drums. Whereas the Octatrack is more focused on sampling anything and everything.

2 Likes

What’s more, those fun tricks we were talking about in the other thread apply to the DT. Since the LFO can be used to FM a single cycle waveform, the DT already has a nearly identical synth engine to the MD but is smaller and easier to use.

1 Like

That’s a bit of a stretch :thinking: sure if you load up the DT with MD samples you can process them in similar ways but the MD steamrolls it in terms of synthesis and mangling possibilities, despite having a weaker UI and sequencer.

2 Likes

A sort of videoclip player with an Elektron sequencer and MIDI and some basic video effects would be a dream come true for me. Something very much like the Digitakt but for video… but it would need more RAM than the DT, and certainly more storage (perhaps SD card).

3 Likes

Same for me, a video synth for generating visuals or sequencing video clips with fx.

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong:
TRX synth - TR 808/909 samples
EFM synth - 2 operator FM, which the DT can do using the LFO at audio rate
E-12 machine - samples
PI synth - ok here is the only synth engine the DT doesn’t handle natively, if you want physically modeled drums you are better off with an MD, but with two tracks devoted to a given sample, it’s basically on par again.

With midi loopback you also have more assignable LFOs on the DT.

Honestly, DT’s synthesis capabilities are about the same as far as I can tell. But if there is something I am overlooking let me know.

If they continue to make things smaller and simpler, it’s gonna be like this :
e71f7af0657a1be5e4da65c70f5a19052da4527c_1_470x500
David Guetta Edition

22 Likes

Yeah this is what I want pretty much, like an effects unit… the same effects like granular synthesis can be applied to audio and video

2 Likes

Something like a mixer with 8 stereo inputs, pads for jingles tone …

RODE%20RODECASTER

2 Likes

The TRX machines are synthesis, not samples.
EFM parameters are a lot more in-depth than just launching an audio rate LFO at pitch (using your only LFO in the process)

Beyond that you’ve got

Song mode
Assignable outs
Parameter slide
Sequencable Ctrl all machines
Routable LFOs, up to 16 LFOs on a single track
Ram/ROM machines
GND machines
Plockable FX
A proper base/width filter
Etc… probably missed some goodies, I’ve never actually owned an MD!

1 Like

Assignable tracks 1-16, any machine including midi. Maybe I don’t need 8 midi tracks! Thru machines that’s very handy as well. I’m imagining a digi size MD 4 outputs and 2 inputs. I not sure but synthesis is less cpu demanding than sampling but maybe more coding involved? If so the cpu would have more room for more tricks.

Yes, I’d love it to play video and audio synchronized to other gear by MIDI. Granular synthesis with audio and video can be very cool. Also I imagine that an Elektron sequencer with conditional trigs, p-locks and control-all would be awesome to do audiovisual live sets. Emergency Broadcast Network comes to mind:

6 Likes

@Ess is this possible? Can you guys do this? Digi effects unit? An effects unit with granular synthesis capabilities that can be applied to audio and video? Or any effect for that matter… while working seamlessly with the other Digi machines

md= inputs for reverb and delay - also has input machines.
= crtall machines for FX, and all machines.
= ram machines and mangle, real time sample playing and buffering.
= more outputs

the dt would be perfect with these aspects but then again overbridge helps a lot to get there.