What's next for Elektron?

that’s true, I bet a lot of people here would sell half of their studio for an OT3…

5 Likes

From a purely capitalistic perspective, would those even make much money? Didn’t the digitakt outsell all OTs sold ever in its first year or something? And assuming they have similar production costs, how much is the r&d on an OT vs an m:s?

6 Likes

Exactly this. Just because there are “some voices” on forums like this lusting for an OT3 or an so called “bad ass” mixer doesn’t reflect the real world buying behavior.

Instant gratification machines without much of a learning curve (“machines for the masses”) are otherwise a sure bet …

This may be true for very small companies (just a handful heads to feed), but Elektron and for sure NI are already far beyond that point. Companies with dozens or hundreds of employees cannot be lead by an artistic vision. Market analysis and not some vocal fan postings drives what get produced.

1 Like

yeah you guys are probably right, except that an OT3 would would most likely sell like crazy given elektrons reputation for that stuff. alternatively they could continue w model samples type gear and have a reputation for low-cost easy to sell novelties instead. i guess time will tell.

I hope they make a bigger one again with kits and songmode! I‘m not the live noodler nr 1 :sunglasses:

There’s a small irony to be had here, where the people who deride the low(er)-end market with its quick turnarounds and low time investment are the same people who criticise Elektron for not making the New Best Ever OT3 right now. It seems people hate the low-end consumer market but also want its fast turnarounds and bi-yearly flagships :man_shrugging:

If we’re really talking high-end, small-business production models, we only need to look at eg DSI/Sequential to see that a mark 3 OT or something of its calibre might perhaps take longer than 2 years to appear. Also, if they want to speed up that production schedule, it might make economic sense for the company to release products with lower r&d costs in the meantime.

7 Likes

Any idea when the “next thing” might be announced? It’s been quite a while since the release of the Digitone, that being their last “professional” gear release.

EDIT: forgot about Digitone Keys, but still. It’s been a while since we’ve seen something truly new.

it is only a matter of time before the polymachine is announced.

Initially with 5 massively souped-up re-imaginings of digital synths available on the monomachine, but each polyphonic and can be allocated to the 8 tracks:

• low bit nasty machine
  • formant synth
  • digitone voice
  • wavetable
  • granular
  • drumbox
    Thereafter new machines available for download from the elektron-cloud.

… with a modern full-featured elektron sequencer, song-mode/arranger, midi-out machines, generative and chord machines; sampling; modern range of effects, EQ, dual filters and distortion per track; master CRD effects and compression.
SD card for samples and wave forms.
Overbridge.

3 Likes

That’d be nice but…
Elektron’s policy is not to overlap features between their machines, or at least to overlap as least as possible, so logically with every new release they’ve been diluting the great vision of the Elektron elders that made the silver line, if they’ll continue to release a machine every 3-4 yrs; OT went to new or specifically, wider direction, but that was it.
Maybe there’s a chance for such a poly-digital monster but for that Elektron should either wait for another 5 yrs, without releasing anything big or they should drop the policy and listen to the niche market, but i doubt they’ll do that and I understand that, it’s better for them in a long run not to; money is the name of the game after all! Money for years to come. They’re too successful with the current way of doing things to change it in any other direction.
In short, I doubt we’ll see it in the next few years.

I also doubt we’ll see it, but when Monomachines and Machinedrums are out of production, what’s so bad about overlapping on either of those? Or SID station for that matter. They ain’t gon lose money on those guys…

No, but they do have DT, DN, DK, A4, AR, OT, M:S, AH and AK is still fresh.
Monomachine and Machinedrum was the only two machines in production at one point so it wasnt crowded; no one was stepping no one’s toes so they could have such powerful synths. But when you have as many machines as they do now or more, it’s becoming increasingly difficult to release unique and versatile machines that are powerful at the same time.
After the silver line entered into its fade out phase the analog line took over the tron and they’re good at that. Later digi line came which was also very successful (or even more) and now with DK they’re set for a few yrs with the digi line and i doubt we’ll see another analog machine any time soon.
Now i believe is the time for the model line to shine.

I’m still praying for a Digidrum, 8 channels of digital drum synthesis in that format would make my day. Gimme like Kick, Snare, Tom, Hat, Cymbal and 3 flexible tracks with some FM or Noise algorithms and I’ll be a happy man.

I feel like they are pretty set on keeping the products seperate at this level so I’m happy to skip sampling and melodic capabilities. Just give me some sweet, sweet small package percussive synthesis.

8 Likes

So…
Model: Drums
Model: Loops
Model: Modular
Model: Video
Model: Student
Model: Railroad ?

1 Like

A Model:MIDI would be nice! 8 track midi sequencer/arp/lfo with nothing more at an affordable price.

1 Like

kinda reminds me of beatstep pro

I’d like to see Elektron -
Drop the Model line, if they got more coming. Model:Samples is great, but this is the one product they’ve made where the only really innovation is that they’re doing something new for them, not new to the market.

Launch a new series of high end instruments, but none of them analogue. Stick to anything digital, that’s what they do best. In this series, include one stand alone recording solution with their sequencer to boost - a unit with the Heat’s take on fx and processing, the sequencer’s take on recording and real time audio manipulation, and the Octatrack’s philosophy on what a track can be.

Preferably all of this in one 61 keys keyboard, an instrument that puts the old workstation legacy to rest and brings the entire idea of a complete environment for the keyboard musician into a new era. And one module version as well.

Not really the same sequencer uh?

of course they’re not identical, but i can’t think of anything that differs that much in terms of functionality. plocks, scale per track, probabilities etc are there, too

1 Like

We dream…

I’ve bought OT mk2 and AH mk2 this year and i kind of fear those could be my last Elektron machines. :frowning_face:

I also have MD and Mnm so I’m set for some time but i hope an interesting Elektron monster will come one day. Hopefully in a form of OT3 :wink:

5 Likes

I have the same feeling after digitakt and AH which is the only Elektron machines i have left/still use. I hope something interesting comes up.

1 Like