What's next for Elektron?

Ive not long had a Mark 1 keys I got for £675 which I thought was already a great price, if a mark 2 gets released I won’t even be annoyed. I find it crazy that the price of these could get lower, easily one of the best value for money synths around right now if you ask me. I hope for everyone else’s necks they make the screen bigger though, and tiltable! I love my OT mark 1 and the A-keys is even more like OT than I imagined so I’m happy. I kinda hope they do something different though, It seems a4s are a lot more popular than the keys so I thought they’d probably go for something different

2 Likes

You know, I am aware that sole of those bases are covered by MPC Live. I’m actually considering it or the X if I could get one question answered:
Does it multitrack audio standalone?
Can I connect 2 different audio sources and record them to different tracks linearly simultaneously.

Tha nagging question prevents me from buying it.
That and the amount of I/O. And the price.
Key groups seem nice.

I thought about my post, and really, ideally I’d like a device about the size of the AR/ OT/A4 that would tie them all together audio and midi wise…
it would be cool to route the OT through the AR compressor momentarily, or through the A4 Reverb, all locked to a familiar sequencer that extends the capabilities of the rest of the gear. If it would record linear audio tracks as well? I’ll buy it.

i am really curious what will be next, because my finger is near pulling the trigger :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Ok, I’ve been thinking about this for some time. It seems that many of us would love to see a Digitakt-sized synth. Some say FM, some say a new version of monomachine, some say wavetable.

I think the absolute coolest idea for a new Elektron digital synth would be a combination of Phase Modulation and Phase Distortion synthesis, 4 operators each with perhaps a comeback of the OT crossfader to fade between synth engines, etc. Add in an analog overdrive and filter, and it’s a perfect hybrid.

2 Likes

how you getting on with the ak.you enjoying it.still need to send you some sound banks over.been busy with work

Yeah man it’s great, it’s deep. The only thing is it’s a bit hard on the neck cause of the screen, other than that bang on. The FX are great on it, been running the OT through the external inputs. Its perfect paired with OT, really happy. Yeah whenever you’re ready send em over, I’m already having a ton of fun with it

good good.glad your liking it.i just brought octatrack mk2. loving the extra buttons.wont be long till I get a analog 4 for the 3rd time😁

What ever it will be. Just give it a scene Fader!
Think about a synth with the scene feature of the Octatrack… seamlessly morphing between different parameters of any sound. Like a performance macro but without limitation. And now think about doing this with multiple synth tracks… Or Elektrons almighty wizards just bring a software update for the Octatrack, so we can use scenes in MIDI mode!

1 Like

Nice, I wouldn’t mind an OT mark 2 eventually. is the mk2 the same size as the mark 1?

its the same machine with a few more buttons and a smaller albeit better screen

yeah.same size.wasnt gonna get a mk2 but now I got it is well worth the extra just for the extra buttons and screen.loving it.conditional trigs are amazing.

1 Like

Id love to see em do a synth with a modular approach ala route anything to anything complex inter-track modulation. Logic gates, clock dividers, quantizers, sequential switches, random sources, mults, etc, inputs on the sequencer from all those sources for resetting and shifting the sequence etc. Analog oscs / digital wavetable / sampler etc.
That would be sweet.

2 Likes

This would be great - I had a Nord Wave to play with for a while, and it’s possible to swap between different settings for synth sounds on that, which was cool.

A Monomachine with scenes & cross fader would be astonishingly great, because a lot of the best (and most distinctive) characteristics of the MnM emerge when it is sliding from one p-locked trig to another. Huge diving sweeps and stuff. SOPHIE uses that all the time. Very pure synth tones being warped around would often be even better than the OT because you wouldn’t get the grain / loss of fidelity associated with pushing a sample too far from its original sample rate.

I’m sure they’re going to do a digital synth, I just wonder whether it will be a flagship model in the new larger format or a Digitakt-form-factor box. I actually think they could do an analogue monosynth in the DT format/price range and a flagship 8-track digital synth. Either way, the Monomachine is my favourite synthesizer and I would buy a new Elektron digital synth without any hesitation.

2 Likes

Judging by what they did with DT and AR MK2 I could very well see both with some overlap, which is not good for completist suckers like me. Of course they will ship the toned down, cheaper unit first :cry:

1 Like

Quite possible… larger model with full song mode, scenes/fader, CV/gate, more advanced FM synthesis, sampling/wavetables??, etc…

I think some software was posted here that kinda links OTs scenes and a4s performance features, it looked pretty cool, I cant remember what it was called so if someone can link it that would be great

Edit: found it, Octatrol Software

1 Like

Analog Keys MkII seems like a really obvious move.

If they go for AKmkII then some sort of a digital keyboard might be in the realms of possibility. Think of something like the sampler keyboards from 80s but modernized. Digitakt already has pretty great possibilities for melodic synth stuff and pads and they could explore the full potential in this format. Less tracks but more polyphony, perhaps more focus on multisampling and so on. This would also cater to the experimental synthesist crowd.

Another possible device could be something like “Analog One”. Think of a Digitakt-sized single-voice Analog Four. If Electron would want to aim for the two-osc bass box market but with their unique twist then this could be a very legit business decision. They could perhaps even recycle the Digitakt chassis for this.

What I’d really want though would be a dedicated Elektron sequencer with competent song mode along all the usual bells and whistles.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, JB! Will check it out!

1 Like

yeah, this is an insanely fun feature on the Shapeshifter VCO module. feels like access to infinite timbres, especially ones that sound really interestingly ‘broken’ (think sputtering machinery) or uncanny valley vibes. would love to see open-ended parametric interpolation in more synths