What's next for Elektron?

With 8 tracks, that would be -DAMMIT I WANT IT

The size increase is probably very necessary as the devices are now less tall, and need to have more space for the improved overbridge to function at full USB 2.0 speeds (previous design would have flooded the analog voices with intereference/noise due to too tight enclosure space)

Don’t spoil my daydream with your logic :grinning:

It’s interesting to speculate, even more so with the new mkii designs. A week ago I would’ve put a fortune on the next box being either an FX or synth engine in digitakt size - say Analog Freeze (delay/reverb) or a Digimachine (8 voice digital synth). But now… That new form factor really pivots things.

For me, the OT is now even more the ugly duckling. I’m sure elektron will revisit sampling but not for a couple of years now.

I still think the next fully “new” box will be in digitakt form factor though. I pray it’s a synth so I don’t ruin myself and cave in to buying the new A4…

How about this for a thought. 3 digital boxes. Digisynth & Digidrum in the smaller form factor. 8 voices of synthesis with Analog range type timbrality. Then one big mkii form factor box that builds in both synth engines. Extra outs. Possibly simple sample playback. Could even keep to 8 voice polyphony. Killer.

Means only two Elektrons in my road case instead of three.

Rats.

They do look good, though!

Well now we finally have the analog resurgence behind us with announcement of the Mk II’s, we can move forward with an all new digital revival era I hope

10 Likes

The new Mk IIs make me think the decks are clear for launching something else significant by the end of the year. I feel like they would have spaced the announcements out a little more if they didn’t have anything else in mind. So I’m impressed that they’ve revamped the Dark Trinity, but I feel like we’ll either see a Mk III Monomachine or Machinedrum…or a performance mixer relatively soon.

Other than that, a specialized digital effects box makes sense to me…but I feel like the best guess is a performance mixer because that gets mentioned frequently enough–though, wow, who knows, since there has clearly been a lot going on and it seems like they had to have put some significant thought into two Mk IIIs when they decided to do three Mk IIs at once.

Now that Elektron has redone their line with Mk IIs and new products, a few observations. Skip this if you don’t like long boring posts – sorry.

[details=Observations:]First – Elektron has stepped up their game in the area of engineering and manufacturing. The introduction of one new product, the Digitakt, and the substantial redesign and re-introduction of the ‘Trinity’ in eight months is highly notable. Look for them to maintain this higher pace of growth. Elektron has grown as a brand. Expect new products in 2018.

Second – Overbridge has gained prominence in their line-up. What with its use in their lower-cost synth the Digitakt, its significant improvement in the mid-cost synths the Analog Four and RYTM, and even the inclusion in their effects box the Analog Heat. (That it is not in the Octatrack MkII is a curiosity!)

Third – Summary of current products and prices Elektron offers:
RYTM ________ $1550* ___ Analog and Digital
Analog Keys _ $1400 ____ Analog
Octatrack ____ $1350 ____ Digital, Midi-Sequencer
Analog Four __ $1350* ___ Analog
Digitakt ________ $680* ___ Digital, Midi-Sequencer
Heat ___________ $750 ____ Analog
Drive __________ $380 ____ Analog
*The cost of Overbridge Premium not included with these.
[/details]

[details=Conclusions:] Elektron is a very developed strategic planner.
Elektron has grown and is growing. Expect new products soon.
Openings exist particularly at the lower end, and for an anchor product.[/details]

[details=Speculation (aka fantasy) for new products:]

• A series of differently flavored low-cost $350-$500 midi-controlled synths, with Overbridge. These likely will be combinations of single voices pulled from their existing line-up, so a RYTM voice, or an Analog Four voice, or something with Digitakt or Octatrack digital voice – though none will ever be labeled such. These will include a reduced set of Elektron-style controls, and have no sequencer, and will be midi controlled, with a stereo and a USB audio output. Might include effects processing that give each of the set a distinctive flavor. Could have CV control. Outside chance these are Eurorack, though i doubt it; they will be near that size though. This ties into the high-end product below, but also can connect with the Digitakt or the Octatrack as controller.
  • A digital equivalent to the Heat very much in the digital effects realm with Overbridge. Around $500.
  • An exciting high-end product – An Overbridge Host Performance Mixer. You could compare this to the good parts of the Roland MX-1 expanded and done Elektron’s way. Could perhaps also blend in expansions of audio processing ideas from the Octatrack as well. This is a bunch of USB Overbridge host plug ins, for audio and central (midi) control of the RYTM, A4/AK, Digitakt, the single voice synth series mentioned above, and the Heat and ‘Digital Heat’ as effect processors. Will have many cool performance mix effects, and a fluid mix flow (so you could move effects around for example, or samples to Digitakt). Will also allow connection of audio and midi connections from other manufacturers. This could perhaps total to approximately a dozen I/O channels – most in bi-directional USB Overbridge, with a sequencer for effects and control. Will include a standard video monitor connection with the UI, and the control surface we all would recognize, especially with the new RYTM and A4 Mk II wedge consoles.
    This is not a DAW, more a performance mixer, and will play nicely with computer hosted DAWs for recording and studio work. This is intended for performance, but that of course blends into composition as well. I called something like this the ‘Overneath’ a while back.
    The staff at Elektron that have been doing the computer based OB UI interfaces will be very busy with this product. Perhaps the low level OS will be a real-time Linux, well disguised.
    Pricing will be as low as Elektron can set, so that it is both affordable and profitable, as this drives sales, and is glue for their entire line, and will be a brand symbol. Pricing might be less than you expect.
    Will also have a retro video game or hypnotic video display ‘easter-egg’ for fun using the same controls.

I already know that i am wrong with my speculation.[/details]

5 Likes

I’d like to see another synth, but something with more than 4 voices yet still multitimbral. Being purely analog doesn’t matter to me as long as it sounds good. Digital OSC with analog filter/distortion and digital FX is fine. Along the lines of Novation Peak I guess? But retain the Elektron sequencer and goodness there.

I think a safer bet might be some sort of Heat sized FX box though? Who knows. I’d genuinely be surprised if we saw anything additional before next year sometime. Elektron is simply too small of a company to release so many products in a short span. I already think all the MKII releases so soon to each other are a mistake given their size and likely operational ability when combined with a completely new product like Digitakt. I don’t see why they couldn’t have spread out each those MK2 announcements out 45-60 days apart with actual shipping another 30-45 days more. I guess the reason could have been that they had dwindled down existing stock enough, but still. If they push another completely new product this year, then I’d firmly start to be in the “they’re rushing it” camp and questioning it.

If they bring out anything more, I certainly don’t have to buy it. Very happy with my existing purchases and upcoming pre-order (Roland SE-02). Hopefully I’m GTG until NAMM, Messe or Superbooth 2018 has me GAS’ing for something!

I would love to discover a new FX Box like Analog Heat, in the Reverb/Delay department with Env Follower, LFO and Freeze functionality with Time/Grain of the Freeze P-lockable with Trig Conditions

Edit :
(to approach but better… a more modern and aesoteric Beat Repeat with Chance parameter with % or more crazy … That would be NEAT)

7 Likes

I keep saying the same idea and being boring but I’d so be excited if they made an 8 track recorder/looper/audioaranger/mixer with a different ethos than Octa! No disrespect towards octatrack intended folks. Whew. Something with a much different purpose, EQ, compression, blocks of bars that can be recorded into and shifted around, crossmodulating tracks with other tracks, but mostly the bare essentials used everyday. Fast and portable. Super fast, beautiful sounding, and portable. You could just pick it up and set it next to another machine or instrument without recabling everything or committing and also make new mixes from your own stems wherever.

4 Likes

9 Likes

oh yeah :loopy:

What would they call it? Elektron gandalf?

2 Likes

If they come out with an Analog Keys MKII, that has discrete Oscillators and filters, and the option to sequence via CV or MIDI…I will buy it, and the desktop as well!

N.

Mothership.
It does EVERYTHING, including driving you to work, making you coffee, it’ll even give you a reach around. Best part is the price point $250

4 Likes

no they won’t. because their goal is never to have an all in 1 solution. They love how all the different boxes have slightly different functionality so you have to buy them all

1 Like

analog mix

Nice work, cool model! But it emphasizes “classical” mixing via the level faders. I’m leaning more towards live sample mangling, expanding the OTs concept of it. But how to sequence / program / play it? The effects programming on the “DigiBlend” :wink: is dependent on the context of the other machines currently playing.

How about a completely different stab at it: just a scene crossfader, like on the OT, with a device / channel / track matrix.

And including multiple midi outs for sequencing and live resampling external gear.

Don’t you see all those faders?
It’s like having scenes per track.

I think what yer describing is the smaller format FX box, like The Finger, but hardware, with a cool looper.

1 Like

Aaah ok, those aren’t volume but scene faders. I get the idea now.

+1 for you 3D-ing your idea by the way!