What's next for Elektron?

You want a theory? Mine is that Thomann is putting the squeeze on Elektron for a larger discount, some of which they’ll pass on to consumers to undercut other retailers, and some of which they’ll pocket.

My other theory is that all’y’all need an additional hobby.

35 Likes

Not to discourage anyone, but the Digitone Keys has been no longer available at retailers for maybe a year now, but still no official statement from Göteborg HQ.

4 Likes

Maybe this is their other hobby!

12 Likes

It does make sense that there is a digi size sampler with a price between digitakt and octatrack… somewhere in the syntakt price range. But it has to have a few stereo tracks at least. Digitakt mk 2 would make sense but it would break compatibility with the previous version, which till now, elektron did not do. So either they have to make a new thing that is different enough to not be called a digitakt, or piss off a bunch of people who are traditionalists, don’t like change and want to receive updates for 10+ years. So i still think that it won’t be called a digitakt 2 but it kind of needs to be a very good sampler.

1 Like

Still sanctimonious fun policing but at least you have a theory

Speculating is good fun. It starts to get worrisome when people are making real financial decisions based on it. I know there’s no way to stop that, and I can’t expect everyone to preface their fantasies with a raft of qualifiers, but it bothers me.

Sanctimony is my middle name.

5 Likes

My thoughts on this are that it’s likely just a SKU change, Elektron might be changing up the box design like they did when they went from the solid color box to the art print design, and Thomann are the first retailer to be out of stock of the current box design.

9 Likes

This is a nice level headed theory. I enjoyed reading it, thx!

1 Like

Yeah, that is my guess as well, that they are bringing the hardware of the digitakt and maybe digitone in line with the Syntakt and E25 editions, white screens, maybe a few imperceptible differences under the hood. But I’m not expecting a major change. Then again I thought the Syntakt was fake until they announced it, so I am far from having any inside knowledge.

1 Like

Was something of the syntakt leaked beforehand? I can’t remember

Yeah, the name came out because of a trademark filing, and the specifications and front panel leaked a few hours before the official announcement. (I think, my history might be fuzzy on this one)

3 Likes

Some store ‘accidentally’ listed it before pulling it, and the deniers still kept denying if I correctly recall

1 Like

6 Likes

Why would it break compatibility? Presumably you could still load previous gen Digitakt projects on an MK2 with stereo tracks.

All 4000+ posts of the speculation and reveal thread can be (re)read here while waiting for the next big thing:

7 Likes

I meant more that they would probably not develop two different firmwares going forward. Unless they break habit. Anything is possible

:point_up_2:
Good summary for this whole thread. :tongue:

9 Likes

Just found this in the Syntakt thread. We need your input now

1 Like

My input on this speculation?
Or that ST is close enough from a DigiMD?

About the present speculation, I don’t have much to say. We don’t even have a trademark to chew on.

Superbooth is still far, I wonder if this thread will have like 20k posts when we’re there.
Another question bugs me: will OT users feel happy?

7 Likes

Well to be fair, this is general speculation on elektron products, not just about one trademark post, so I think 20k is even a bit low

And (dont lynch me) Syntakt is kind of a digi md

1 Like