What's next for Elektron?

I’m surprised no one raised suspicion that AR Mk2 is also Out Of Stock on Elektron’s site.
For me, those tick boxes - Digitak is a sample-based drum machine, AR - has about 80% of the Digitakt functionality + Analog voices and a fully featured sequencer. Meanwhile, some analogue voices are already available to Syntakt. That makes me feel that instead of DT Mk2, we are waiting for AR mk3, which might have better sample mangling capabilities and misc improvements, so it will perfectly cover the Sampling+DrumMachine side of the setup with its reach layout and boosted CPU. And it’s a great move to upsell the DT fans to a more expensive, feature-full product.

3 Likes

Here is another speculation focus: what would next ST firmware bring on the table?
I know I’d love AR’s recent Euclidean mode for sure!

It seems Elektron is pushing their paradigm even further, they have some work ahead before they push these improvements on the other instruments.

Kudos to them!
Elektron are still my favorite instruments by far!!

8 Likes

43 Likes

What is missing here is the physical size… i think many people would miss a digi sized sampler if digitakt is no more… i certainly would

5 Likes

What i would like to see most in my sintakt is the control all latch function. Right now I’m using a magnet to hold the trk key. I use all aspects of syntakt, including as an analog warmer for other gear/software, and as a digital 8 voice synth and 3 voice analog.

Euclidean would not be bad either. And for sure they are going to bring out new machines. I expect one analog, possibly something more ring mod based, and maybe an additive or phase distortion digital machine

1 Like

Just saying… All’y’all Sanctimony sounds like a band I’d listen to.

4 Likes

who told you that Digitakt is no longer in production?

it would be a decision made by someone with no business acumen at all

The Digitakt is not going away.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s a beast, the right balance between capable and immediate imo. And it sounds really great.

[Woman] What’s the secret, Peter?
[Peter] Naturally, I’ll say it’s the wine
[Woman] Mmmm, it does go well with the chicken!

6 Likes

I could imagine a world where the one particular revision is actually being replaced with one that has non-softtouch buttons.

I just asked:

Why is so difficult to believe?

Nothing is forever… All companies evolve in their products offer.

Digitakt has joined now the legendary status of massive influencial products of Elektron that are no longer in production, together with the MD, the MNM, Octa OG or the SID.

Probably the most succesfull Groovebox of the last decade.

Edit - PD: I have just grab one for USD600 back in January, and I don’t mind if it is discontinued or superseed. I am just happy to have one.

9 Likes

new hihat machine (UFO II but this time crisp) à la Machinedrum or completely new … something FMmy à la Monomachine for metallic percussion … something gnarly with a wavefolder … something that enables weird spectra (or crazy wavetables … MM Digipro?) …

Not that I am dissatisfied with the Syntakt … and just a minute ago I was closer to a 909 hihat than ever :wink:

Also since I recently had the problem that there’s no more row after 99, it would be nice if the song mode on the Digis could get more advanced features like jump, loop …

14 Likes

Any excitement about anything that is not confirmed by Elektron is often met with a lot of consternation around here by hall monitors who hold the brand’s official line no matter what

1 Like

I just sold my black Digitakt coz I got a silver one. But now I kinda regret it.

I’m curious if they will keep the same Digi format or if they are designing a new housing / interface? Will they marry the Octa and Digitakt to make an all in one super sampler? Seems kinda weird that they would abandon mid level sampling.

yeah I think youre rightt, they’re definitely not abandoning it. Typically I would say just white screen and shortened logo like @warpigs330 and others but you might be closer with the octa hybrid idea, and I would imagine analog filter and drive in that mix. Or maybe new ceo said all these people want stereo digitakt I know you love your art and limitations but why don’t you do that, and they’re like the time is right its cheaper now anyway yeah well do stereo mk2 with white screen shortened logo. my speculation is its one of those three, at this point

When the Machinedrum was discontinued, Elektron made an official announcement by themselves :

6 Likes

We are pulling meaning out of word choices from an email from a Thomann rep like it’s the King James Bible :joy:

The DT isn’t dead. Same thing happened when Ableton announced the Push 3 - the Push 2 was suddenly out of stock everywhere. “Discontinued” if you will.

3 Likes

Seriously I hope whatever’s next launches with an implementation of user microtonal tunings. I use one Elektron, essentially for drums, and it’s great, but I would be highly interested in acquiring potentially any/many of the rest of their catalog that I could save custom tunings on, and thus efficiently use for melodic/harmonic work.

5 Likes

Don’t ask who told me but I have an inside source. They will add sampling to syntakt within the next year.

They will also reveal a previously hidden feature where when you unscrew the right side it pulls out to reveal a crossfader and some other buttons (dedicated song mode buttons!!)

Can’t wait

7 Likes