What's next for Elektron?

A knobby, sturdy machine with a more modular approach containing physical modelling (think tassman), additive synthesis, perhaps a vocoder.

And a modular fx-unit w/ tubes, filters and a whole lot of different digital effects and mod sources/destinations.

I think with those two my hoarding and gasing would die of natural causes (well I usually think that).

This is totally a personal interpretation, but I got the impression (from development and comments by the Elektron team etc) that OB had become something they’d committed to, were genuinely excited about at a time, and then became increasingly a burden. I remember some comment during the betas of version 2 along the lines of ‘we definitely hope to release a stable non-beta version’ - not the ringing enthusiasm one might expect of a product with a long projected lifespan.

Again, just my guesswork, but given that they dropped the idea of charging for it, and the given the toil of making it work well, I wonder if they’ll maintain V2 to honour their commitment, but phase it out in favour of class-compliant USB, as they have done with M:S, M:C, and by adding it to the Digis.

On the other hand, maybe it’s less difficult to keep it going now it’s ‘done’, and OB is the second big item on their home page…

That’d be one dreamy sofa setup right there…

3 Likes

Again and again I want to see ALL IN ONE device with drums, synths and studio effects. I have Digitakt, Digitone, MPC One and Deluge.
They need to combine all PROS from these devices into one compact and powerful dawless daw.

3 Likes

Judging from my own experience with (cross platform) system driver development it ain’t become less difficult. With stuff like this you are always on the brink to a development disaster when the next operating system update arrives.

Long term API/ABI support and stability doesn’t seem to be a prime virtue anymore (with the exception of Linux).

4 Likes

I wonder if they developed a generic enough API for OB so that it could run on say… linux, could we possibly ever see a new device that was essentially a lightweight Elektron flavoured linux box as the OS.
That could in theory host OB enabled devices. EG some kind of OB Mixer or whatever similar to the AIRA mixer.
I know this is all pretty hopeful sounding, but I mean, raspberry pi can run Linux and it’s insanely cheap and small, build a box around that and you could in theory have that?

1 Like

I don’t think Elektron will do this by their own, because they are really bad at releasing specs for their internals (sysex format, OB protocol and stuff like this).

But since the OB protocol is quite simple there already exists an open-source project:

1 Like

Wow nice will check this out.

What’s next, I think 2020 will be all about OS updates…

1 Like

Sound synthesis and effects apparently :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Making something for iOS is to be forever the prisoner of Apple’s wims. I can relate to not wanting to deal with it from a developer’s perspective.

3 Likes

Good point. Screw giving Apple 30% of everything for doing very, very little.

Edit: well, unless they were free. After all, the money is made from the devices. But anyway, I agree with your point regardless :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice little vertical integration of the market apple has going for iOS, isn’t it? Nice to know that antitrust laws are totally useless.

But I just meant that iOS is updated really aggressively and you have to constantly patch the code and sometimes the rewrites are substantial. Even free apps require constant patching.

1 Like

I just want the Model series battery packs to come out already…

4 Likes

The usb power hub isn’t doing it for you?

I don’t think you can power it via USB. This is the only Elektron unit I haven’t read the manual for so you could be right, but that’s not my understanding.

Yeah, you can’t power it via USB but you can use a phone charger and a USB->DC cable to power it.

I even put together a 3D printed version of the battery handle that uses a portable battery bank:

1 Like

Thanks, that’s what I meant! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Very cool. Looks an awful lot like what they’re designed, but hey they’ve been sitting on it for so long. Have you actually used it with the lipstick power banks? If so which ones worked for you? I had a hard time finding the right powerbank to power my OT and DN with the ripcord, but eventually landed on an Anker that’s fairly large.

Yep! I’ve used my M:C with a wide variety of different batteries - one generic “lipstick” style one, Anker’s PowerCore+ Mini, and one larger 10kmAh Anker battery as well. Pretty much anything that outputs a standard 5v USB will do the trick. The smaller ones definitely have a shorter duration they can run the device for, but I can definitely get 5-6 hours of use out of a 3-4k mAh battery.

I’ll definitely still be buying the official handle when it comes out, but in the meantime it makes the whole device much more enjoyable to use as a portable.

1 Like

Awesome. I will be looking into this for sure. Will make my life so much easier when playing out live which is why I’m really looking forward to their handle. I still end up bringing all the power supplies just in case, but using power banks makes set up and break down so much easier.