What's next for Elektron?

well today is Saturday…so…im guessing Sunday is next. :crossed_fingers:t6:

1 Like

this is what I want.

I have a feeling they are gonna team up with taco bell and fill a digitakt with doritos and nacho cheese for their next machine. Sorry guys guacamole is extra.

5 Likes

This it for sure. We are now in the Post-Music era, and the Taco Bell collaboration will begin Elektrons transition into food.

And guacamole is always extra, so you shouldn’t feel the need to apologize for that.

2 Likes

Switchable crossfader location as standard should be standard on the new “Model: OctaTakt” imho :grinning:

3 Likes

punoɹɐ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ʇᴉ uɹnʇ ʇsnſ

6 Likes

I just wish they would add a square wave with PWM to the oscillator.

1 Like

I would really like a multi effects unit that runs overbridge. Preferably with an integrated sequencer, but that would be icing. Using 3 or 4 stereo effects without needing to patch the unit would be awesome.

The second thing I would want is a performance orientated sequencer brain. Change patterns, chain patterns and control parameters more easily so us slower people can perform more, not stressfully change patterns on multiple machines.

It’s an interesting time. 6 months deep in Corona. They did a big OB release. And a bunch of sound packs. But in general globally supply chains may be a problem. And releasing things at a time of economic downturn could be problematic for multiple reasons. It makes me think many companies could be using this moment to design things, and to spend a lot of time designing it, getting it right and chewing off something solid.

That said if sales are down, momentum is usually gained with smaller things, so people can afford them. Elektron have such a complete suite at the moment however so they really are sitting pretty - what’s available really does cover a wide breadth of functionality.

I did read elsewhere that music tech and instrument sales have been up tho, as people in various forms of lockdown and iso use the time to make tunes and learn a new instrument.

Still, I don’t see any problem with them releasing, as someone above suggested, 20 year anniversary silvers. That would be so dope. Not replicas, not even potentially the same synthesis methods. But in general the idea of a couple multi-machine digital machines in the spirit of the mnm and md, brought into the current decade.

I know they’ve said in the past they don’t want to repeat machines, but I think there is so much range for how they could approach it that it wouldn’t be a redo at all, but a fresh take on some highly flexible modern digital synthesis machines.

The recent stuff covers a lot of ground, and certainly gives many people access to the Elektron process and brand. It’s a good thing. It’s hard to tell if that’s the road things will keep going down or if there does remain to be some larger project they are working on.

5 Likes

Something like OT mk3 that could also be an overbridge host would be incredible.

7 Likes

That’s what my gut is telling me too…

OT with OB and class compliant. New UI that matches the Digi’s

4 Likes

I’m imagining how sick it would be to have an Overbridge Mix Matrix Hub thing that allows internal mixing/flexible bussing of Overbridge enabled tracks outputting to analog outs (Maybe 8 + 2 FX loops? Chainable for 16 outs?) for a live (and studio) context.

A huge pain point for me is going between a recording version of my setup (Harnessing Overbridge for as many discrete signals as possible to the DAW) and crippling myself a bit in a computerless live context by bussing things, which also reduces the flexibility of using my outboard FX sends, especially for individual tracks on the DN. It’s quite a bit of overhead to adapt between those two workflows.

Making this even more powerful, an OT mk3 with Overbridge would really knock an Overbridge system like this out of the park. Especially if I could route DN tracks to OT tracks for full mangling power.

TLDR: To have the power of Overbridge in a box that could be used live without a laptop…take my money!!! All of it!!!

6 Likes

Part of me feels like the amount of investment into OB must be for SOMETHING rather than “just” daw integration. But maybe it is just a move to better align elektron boxes with other devices that have daw integration rather than a “sign” of things to come. please be a sign

3 Likes

Will the OB plug-ins be ported to iOS too? :thinking:

4 Likes

Digitakt Keys.

3 Likes

Digitakt Pads maybe!

3 Likes

A knobby, sturdy machine with a more modular approach containing physical modelling (think tassman), additive synthesis, perhaps a vocoder.

And a modular fx-unit w/ tubes, filters and a whole lot of different digital effects and mod sources/destinations.

I think with those two my hoarding and gasing would die of natural causes (well I usually think that).

This is totally a personal interpretation, but I got the impression (from development and comments by the Elektron team etc) that OB had become something they’d committed to, were genuinely excited about at a time, and then became increasingly a burden. I remember some comment during the betas of version 2 along the lines of ‘we definitely hope to release a stable non-beta version’ - not the ringing enthusiasm one might expect of a product with a long projected lifespan.

Again, just my guesswork, but given that they dropped the idea of charging for it, and the given the toil of making it work well, I wonder if they’ll maintain V2 to honour their commitment, but phase it out in favour of class-compliant USB, as they have done with M:S, M:C, and by adding it to the Digis.

On the other hand, maybe it’s less difficult to keep it going now it’s ‘done’, and OB is the second big item on their home page…

That’d be one dreamy sofa setup right there…

3 Likes

Again and again I want to see ALL IN ONE device with drums, synths and studio effects. I have Digitakt, Digitone, MPC One and Deluge.
They need to combine all PROS from these devices into one compact and powerful dawless daw.

3 Likes

Judging from my own experience with (cross platform) system driver development it ain’t become less difficult. With stuff like this you are always on the brink to a development disaster when the next operating system update arrives.

Long term API/ABI support and stability doesn’t seem to be a prime virtue anymore (with the exception of Linux).

4 Likes