Whats going on with Youtube?

Would be awesome if Premium was a tad cheaper. It really is lovely. Background play also. I get slammed by Grammerly ads chronically

I’ll actively avoid buying any product with intrusive ads, I never click on ads either, and every option to skip an ad I do, if a video has mid roll ads I immediately close the video. If everyone does this then their algorithm will detect it. I won’t pay for youtube premium just to avoid ads because lots of the content creators who I watch also do sponsored videos where they will talk about a product (usually nord vpn, skillshare or what have you) and premium won’t prevent this.

I know content creators have to make money, and there are paid subscriptions and merch which are much better options for the creators and their viewers.

But yeah ads are the easiest way to make me NOT buy something, same goes for TV ads.

19 Likes

Youtube is moving into being TV 2.0. Most content seems to be curated and mainstream unless you seek it out for the most part. The honeymoon is over, they will try to get you to buy the premium without ads. I even saw an advert for YT premium that basically said “we won’t interrupt your meditation videos anymore if you pay”. They know it’s jarring and annoying especially for those types of videos which are popular.

1 Like

I never see any ads using youtube in the browser in iphone. Thats using duck duck go in safari.
Blocking probably done by the free version of adguard, i also use free version of lockdown app( uses like 3% of battery) almost always.
Strangely if i use the duck duck go (which i love otherwise and use mostly , fire is fun) app there are yt ads on very rare ocasions.
On macbook and hp i also never see any youtube ads in browser using u block origin in firefox.

1 Like

Too bad YT TV hiked up $15 and dropped a channel that’s essential to me. Not a huge fan of them right now. Only watch when I need visual guidance. Just another platform To ignore.

yea theyre very aware of it no doubt. same with the not allowing mobile play in background before premium came out, only then to magically allow it with premium.

still, if you’re not. paying for a service its normal to expect ads I fink. of course I’d prefer no ads for free but it’s not that realistic to expect it.

1 Like

$12 is a lot for no ads. They definitely don’t get that much in ad revenue from me. And I don’t want googles music service. But on the other hand $12 a month to never see the midi pack ad again…

2 Likes

I know Google are holding me to ransom with the premium, but honestly, if I see that midi guy once more I’m gonna start tracking him down…

4 Likes

Google: you want ad free YouTube? I got you!

As we come to find out he doesn’t even pay for ads. They just know no one can stand him

6 Likes

I almost always open You Tube in Brave and hardly ever get ads. When I very occasionally open on iPad (YT app or Safari), I can’t stand it for long for the ads!

I noticed it as well, for a 20 minute video you get around 4 ad breaks, that’s worse than TV ( at least here in Germany). Yesterday even a 12!!! minute ad started playing, my reaction was to just shut that shit down altogether. I‘m using Firefox with an Adblocker but that doesn’t work anymore as it used to. I‘m definitely not going for premium because I seriously hate Google and just wish people would start using a different platform so Google/Alphabet can suffocate on their own greed. Taking people’s data to make money and then force feed them ad‘s to make even more money and then ask the people to pay extra so you can avoid the ads.
Like my favorite comedian said (in a different context): that’s like stealing your furniture and then offer you to rent it back.

Fuck them!

I‘m seriously considering going back to Vimeo, I‘d rather pay them than Google even if the views you are getting on Vimeo for music/synth stuff is basically a joke.

5 Likes

YouTube Premium for years now.

While Google Play Music is switching to YouTube Music, the Bluetooth audio stream in my car is significantly higher quality than Spotify with Android.

I couldn’t believe it. That alone made me switch. The ad free YouTube was a nice benefit!

The streaming quality might be fixed on Spotify for Android now, but I don’t miss it.

If I want to discover music, I come here.

2 Likes

Paying to remove ads. A stroke of Genius. Whoever came up with that concept is now probably Chairman of the board. Downloading content so you can watch it offline they say if you sign up. Well thats already free. https://www.y2mate.com/en24. Greedy and getting greedier.

2 Likes

Questions, because I don’t know how YT works:

• Do creators get paid by their view count, or specifically by their ad view count?
  • If I use adblock, does that mean the creator is not being paid for my view?
  • If I view with YTP, does the creator still get paid the same as if I had watched all their ads?

I don’t want to take money out of the creators’ pockets, but the ads are excruciating.

edit: Sorry this post was not meant to be a reply specifically to selfup.

3 Likes

That’s a good question. I think they are paid the same. We just “prepay”. Each view is not much in terms of money. So $10 a month should cover a significant amount of watch time.

I am no expert on this. Maybe this is somewhere in the Premium FAQ. I’ll check.

But one thing for sure, I don’t leave a video because of ads. So if time is included they should be getting more views/watch time.

Pretty sure the payment model is based on ads viewed and ad view duration. So adblocking might hurt creators. I’m guessing the premium is similar to Apple Music but don’t know

I know utube creators making a living from their channel is a thing now but I don’t know if I even agree with that as a thing, or care about their monetisation.
I still view it as a platform for creating free content, like it was in its earlier years.

I don’t know if I agree with what I’ve just said. but I haven’t really thought about it much thus far. maybe people making money from their content is cool. but maybe I don’t care. I dunno :joy:

what do u think?

9 Likes

:joy:

5 Likes

If you can make money from your content without turning into a simpering Squarespace/nordvpn/patreon pushing “like and subscribe” dicksplash every 3.4 minutes, fine by me.

3 Likes