What would your favourite smallest possible setup be for an hour liveset?

OT + ST is my favorite combo.

It seems I just can’t work with premise sequences, even if I fully understand the benefit of it.
I just love improvisation so much, creating on the spot is just what I love…
I found out that not much gear on stage makes the performance more dynamic.

For the sweetest live performance, what I really love is playing with someone else.
Playing with a friend, with all it implies (listening to each other, surprising the other, communicating, get a safety net) can get me fully concentrated for hours, it’s what I love most about music, really.

11 Likes

Erica Synths Techno System - everything in a handy 104hp travel case (I found a Magma backpack into which it fits perfectly), maybe adding a Quadrantid Swarm for some melodic sequences…

1 Like

Very nice Live set, bravo!

2 Likes

How do you approach preparing the loops/stems for consumption/performance?

I’m using a Digitakt these days (one day i’ll re-attempt the OT… one day.) but I need to practice performing using it over plain sound design.

I didn’t have the best luck using preprepared loops but then again, i rendered them externally instead of consuming directly from the OT.

M1 Air and Jupiter Xm

Or

Digitakt, Syntakt and Jupiter Xm.

I’m not comfortable enough with or schooled enough on the OT to include it yet.

Thanks a lot !

It’s a really tedious process of exporting group stems from my songs with effects baked in, then going into these stems and exporting intro and outro loops as well as the main part of the track, and then pasting these together with octachainer so I can pick any of those as slices in the OT. A lot of préparation in order to have fun afterwards.

If you want, I tried to explain the whole process here:

3 Likes

That’s a great point. However I still think if I have a guitar and a microphone I am in a much safer zone to be organic and ‘musical’ even if making mistakes and just playing with the silence and the sound.

I’ve done less electronic (which was not sophisticated) and felt it far more stressful.
Mainly because - and this is totally genre related - electronic performance audiences, if they are in the niche you are performing to, which is usually a small niche, are massively precise in their expectations.

• it’s too derivative
  • i like the start, but then he ruined it with those pads
  • ouch, way too much time on that arp section, hate the hats
  • this is totally inconsistent - funk then techno then ambient
  • what am i watching here, is this any good, it is original - did i hear a BoC Chord, a Radiohead beat, an apex BassLine? Oh no, not another Richie Hawkin. What is this, rare 45 funk hour?

Whereas get up with a guitar and sing and play like you mean it, with arguably far less technical talent than it takes to pull of a true live 3 or 4 machine electronic set … and you can emotionally pull your audience in with more ease as you aren’t expending massive technical dexterity that isn’t appreciated.

So long story short, if you can get up and pull off an electronic set and it is appreciated, you have some real talent to do all the difficult technical coordination AND get the crowd to feel it. It is not easy. It is a real leap if you’ve built up a bit of a name and people know you are playing your own creations and building it in real time.

Someone once told me after a lot of rum, that the term Disc Jockey was really on point. In a horse race it is the horse that does the running, but the jockey gets the praise though they chose the horse.

5 Likes

Everything prerecorded into my phone for playback, and a dummy midi controller with lots of lights and knobs and sliders that I can twist and fiddle with to look like I’m doing something.

7 Likes

Mods close the thread.

3 Likes

glad you‘re still kickin‘ :kiss:

2 Likes

My next band is going the be named ‘Soursack Corksniffer and the Dillweed Scenesters

6 Likes

I’ll be there!!

i wouldn‘t get past the bouncers of those coffee roastery startups they‘re gonna perform at exclusivly :rofl:

1 Like

maybe one or two m8 trackers + a midi controller like space town does here:

he even did a breakdown how he performs with these devices:

2 Likes

Octatrack with my 7u palette modular case.

2 Likes

I don’t doubt your audience is as discerning as you say. But if you post this on a guitar forum, they will make the exact converse argument—that their audience is super discerning but that electronic music is just pushing buttons and electronic audiences don’t care. I don’t doubt that their audiences are that discerning either.

I’m just glad mine aren’t!

2 Likes

My favorite for an hour or over is daisy chaining…

MFB Nanozwerg > DT > DN > AR > AH

I’ve played many live sets with just Nanoloop 2 on a Gameboy Micro or DS Lite. One where people thought I was DJing some minimal tech stuff and didn’t realise that a GBA could put out such deep bass.

It’s still my main choice if I want to play a loose yet mildly structured set. I have enough patterns saved into it that I can sometimes forget how things go. M8 is starting to take over from it, but only when I’m playing a gig where fully realised bangerz are appreciated :smiley:

I still have trouble handling more than a couple of Elektrons, even in the studio. I’ve played some sets from Monomachine+Octatrack in the past though. I like OT sequencing a synth like a Nord too. I don’t think I’d take more than two devices to a gig anymore. Just not worth it, even as is, taking $3-4k of Elektron gear to a venue, playing a 30 min set to 100 people max, getting paid $50 max which barely covers transport to and from the gig… I’d rather just take my M8 or a gameboy :stuck_out_tongue:

Plus it’s more fun to absolutely bring the place down with a tiny handheld :metal:

2 Likes

2xCDJ, DJ mixer, sampler (currently SP-16)

2 Likes

I’ve kinda spammed this topic with unrelated bullshitting thus far so here is an on topic post for once:

Going through what I have here, in order to make the smallest but most capable setup I would use Blackbox, Bluebox and LXR-02. 16 tracks from Blackbox which can be used in various flexible ways, six synth voices from LXR-02 which are absolutely not limited to drums. Mix these two sources with Bluebox which will also act as master reverb and delay, EQ, and compressor. To top it off you can record your set as it happens into the Bluebox. I could go hog wild with this setup for a long time and it would all fit in the smallest backpack I have while still leaving room for power strip, extension cord, headphones, clip on light, tapes to give away, and more. Oh yeah! Both Blue and Black boxes can be easily powered by any USB battery though you’ll need a separate battery for each to avoid noise.

1 Like