What would your favourite smallest possible setup be for an hour liveset?

It is common seeing huge non portable setups when people referring to an ideal live performance setup, but what would be your take for the smallest possible one to deliver an hour performance?

This isnā€™t the smallest possible but itā€™s my small portable setup. I have a ju-06a running into a digitone and then into an empress zoia and then a digitakt. I can fit all of the cables and devices in a small backpack.

3 Likes

Does this also come down to how much live production you want to do and how much the audience can appreciate?

If you broke it into levels you could have
I. Plug an audio player into to PA and hit play start to finish
II. Live mix between pre produced tracks, so you need somewhat of a DJ A-B dual set of audio players
III. Intervene live with FX and loop points
IV. Intervene live with synth parameters
V. Intervene live with sequencing of some or all tracks
VI. III & IV & V all at once
VII. Freestyle live composition with base ingredients prepared

7 Likes

One Elektron would be enough for me.
I would hesitate between AR or OT. Depending on the sound i would like to produce.

Often, i played with OT and Virus, when i was stil playing live.

7 Likes

octatrack would be my favorite.

Syntakt solo would be fun but I miss samples for that extra dimension, personally. itā€™d be killer for some a no messin Tuss style acid set tho. or some gabber :relaxed:

2 Likes

Havenā€™t tried this but I could probably pull it off on AR, OT and Quandrantid Swarm. OT used as sample source, midi seq, mixer & fx.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve done a few sets with Digitakt paired with one or two small synths (Model D, Volca FM). Add an effect pedal or two and you have more than enough for a full hour long live set if you plan accordingly.

2 Likes

Syntakt and Moog Sirin.
EHX Platform.

4 Likes

I saw someone do a live set with just a gameboy, and it was really good. Hilarious that behind them people were lugging their racks of gear but gameboy was by far the most interesting set of the night

12 Likes

A groovebox.

8 Likes

octatrack

8 Likes

If I prepared everything in the DAW: Octatrack.

I would probably enjoy OT + BB the most. OT would be enough though.

1 Like

[Korg Contact Mic] -> [TimeFactor Left In] -> [TF Right In] -> [Space]

With the TF in Tape Delay mode, click the contact mic to begin oscillations and noodle on the TF knobs.

Sounds like cetaceans getting it on.

5 Likes

MPC + DN or A4 or ST
MPC + Bass synth (Minitaur, SE02, DB01, AS1)
M:S + A4 or DN or ST + KP3 or Multi fx pedal

1 Like

Depends on the genre for the live set.
But really, OT can do everything. So that.

But if it was specifically a techno thing, TR8-S and a synth, maybe.

(My choice is based on what I own)

4 Likes

For an elemental, gritty compact combo, itā€™d be Erica Synths LXR-02, DB-01 and Zen Delay. All built like tanks and the chunky knobs (plus sliders on the LXR) are a delight to mess with.

If I wanted more refined / premeditated sounds (albeit with the option to go bonkers territory), Iā€™d take my Analog Rytm Mk2 (or Analog Four) and Octatrack instead.

Both packages fit into a day pack or large laptop bag. Importantly, the items in either package have inter-changeable power supplies so I only need to bring a single spare Elektron or Erica one, depending on the combo.

I realise I am very privileged to have the above options. Good luck in your quest for optimised portability!

2 Likes

This is coming from someone outside the electronic music milieu, but having more ā€œpreparedā€ material kind of degrades the whole idea of a ā€œliveā€ set.

Digitakt or Syntakt

2 Likes

So a band ā€˜learningā€™ all the songs before the show degrades the idea of ā€˜liveā€™ ?

8 Likes

One guitar pick, to play my soul.

5 Likes