What to shop for?

Honestly, that’s how the bass came to me, though I’m a huge fan of hipshot bridges and have them on several of my basses. One of my Gibson Thunderbirds (I have 3, don’t ask!) has the hipshot replacement for the Gibson 3 point bridge. Big upgrade if you ask me. I also have one custom made bass by Andrew Drake with a hipshot A style bridge, which is really nice. I absolutely love the looks of the bridge on my Ric!

1 Like

Wow man, I’m mouthwatering here … those TBirds are fab too. You’re right, the hipshot looks cool on that walnut Rick. Mine sustains for ages already with the stock bridge, this being said: it’s hard to imagine how the hipshot could improve here…

1 Like

Going on-topic again: what is the maximum lenght of the OT-MkI’s live-sampling? Couldn’t find this in the manual.

When I got the Infinity the 95000 wasn’t available, so I only looked at the 45000 and went for the Infinity because you need to buy an additional foot controler if you want to use the 45000 hands-free. I just looked up the 95000 and that thing looks insane!

2 Likes

Buy the 500 euro octatrack and test it, for that price you can resell it easily if that is not your thing.

2 Likes

see here

So for dynamic recording into flash memory it’s 16 bit: 508s, 8m28s
24 bit: 339s, 5m39s . Good enough for me (same as the Ditto+4). These are maximum values, assuming nothing else resides in the “flex” slots. I learned about flex slots, static samples, streaming from CF card : this is a pretty interesting design. I also read the MKII is fundamentally a mechanical upgrade, the specs and OS remain the same so I won’t be missing much in terms of possibilities. I will missing the improved workflow, but well there’s a 700€ price difference!

1 Like

Stupid newbie question but if you have 4 tracks equal length whats the maximum song length if all are playing simultaneously. ie can you have 4 tracks of 8m28secs playing back at same time.

Yes, you can definately play them at the same time. But you need to think about how the sequencers work. 4 bars / 64 steps and then it repeats - the duration of those 64 steps is defined/influenced by the BPM. Maybe someone can do the math … but for such long samples I guess the only way is to use one shot trigs (shift + trig - the trig turns from red to yellow and needs to be rearmed when played once to play again). Still a newbie too … so I hope this is correct.

1 Like

Just for the record: my local official Elektron dealership had a january sale so I took the plunge and came home with a brandnew OT MkII for 950€. Now I need to learn all the new stuff. To begin with, setting up a basic 16 bar live-sampling track hoping this time I will get something tightly timed and reliable…

1 Like

But this one remains unanswered… I believe I will need a walkthrough of some sorts to get me started here

Not sure if this is what your after but if you have the OT sequencer already going, it’s quite easy to make rock solid loops that play exactly as you played them and are locked into the record length you defined and bpm of the sequencer… Quite easy to quantize launch them again at any time and they’ll stay in perfect sync…

4 Likes

The MK1 and MK2 have the same number of knobs. It’s just the buttons, screen and inputs that are different.

Fine, more buttons :slight_smile:

Have you considered the Boss RC 505 Loopstation?
It’s been a faithful companion for me for a very long time and should cover your needs.

Well, what I’m after is building up a song with my synths, samplers and sequencers, grab my bass (or guitar), start grooving along the sequence I just built, then at one point record my last 4 bars (for instance) on the bass, and let them loop while I put down the bass and continue with knobs and sliders. Just like I would with a dedicated looper (like the Boss, or the DittoX4 I own), except that none of the loopstations I have worked with were both rocksolid sync-wise and had pristine sound quality. So I imagined that a octatrack, being able to loop AND be the master sequencer would be able to do just that (with the benefit of having much more creative possibilities).Using either record trigs or midi footpedal to trigger the recording. Ideally, I would have a trig on a track that would trigger the recording at the first beat, and have the recorder configured so that it records exactly 4 bars and starts looping. I had set this up with my TC electronics DittoX4, but it was out of sync 8 times out of 10.

Yeah that works no problem, do it all day long. I use my OT as a full time looper, I use sequences but they are made from the loops being recorded in realtime, OT is clock master for AR. Never had a sync issue. Pretty simple for an OT really as far as its sampling capabilities are concerned…

3 Likes

Ok, so far I managed to create my 1st recordings and indeed it’s perfectly possible, thanks all for the input. I got a bit lost at one point because well, Elektron. I used a flex machine instead of a pickup machine and if you set everything up beforehand it’s a piece of cake. And definitely solid, sync wise. So I have my basics covered. I still must find out a way to get longer loops than 16 steps while retaining perfect sync but I guess that’s doable either by using the tempo multiplier, or some wizardry with conditional trigs. I think I’ll start a new thread if neccessary, because the “What should I shop for” question is now closed (until the next gas-attack, that is… :sunglasses: )

PS What a powerhouse! It’s definitely a clever design. It’s lacking memory, for sure and the CF card, well, I guess that has been discussed already, I mean, it’s one more 100€ to upgrade to (only) 64GB of storage…

1 Like

We can’t record directly to the CF card, can we? That would be too cool. Thanks for pointing this out, that’s one more step into the right direction!

Won’t get into the details right now but I’ll let you know that long loops are possible with track recorders or pickups. I sometimes loop 512 steps and a few times 1024…

Me or someone can explain later probably on another thread, meanwhile if you use search on the forum I’m sure it’s explained a bunch … :slight_smile:

1 Like