OT max sampling time

So I have only used the OT to same in a bar-wise fashion never going for longer open ended recording times. Can I record an entire “song” length worth of material?

1 Like

Mr Dataline mentioned you could record up to 6 miniutes on an empty flex. Need to allocate more memory though in the record buffer settings.

1 Like

of course!

just if it is less than 85.5 MB that means:

@44100Hz 16 bit = 8min 7 sec circa
@48000Hz 24 bit = 5min 26 sec circa

You can go in Memory Setup and scroll down to Reserve Recordings.
Set the amount of seconds you need to record

3 Likes

Sometimes I make entire songs in the OT.
Start some drum groove on track 5-8.
Than I sample the A4 connected to the IN CD. Then guitar chords on IN AB.
Track 1-4 are flex machines.
When I have the loops I save them, change the 2-4 tracks to static and reload to static slots.
When I have a structure I add all the 84Mbyte to the track 1.
Start the playback and record IN AB - guitar impro, fills on a long track.
Save that as well and assign to an static slot.
Then change the input of the flex TR 1 to internal recording, and record the full song.
After that I copy the final wave to the pc and voila.

All this could be much simpler if the OT would have more RAM.

6 Likes

Yeh, I sometimes don’t understand Elektron’s way of thinking. 4 more outputs and 512MB (or something like that) memory would had made the OT, what 50€ more expensive?

Maybe…but then MAYBE we would not have those boxes all of the same size…at least more MB won’t be that bigger in size…

They may have purposefully built things the way they did in an effort to foster creative thinking?

Just playing devil’s advocate. I know when it launched I was all o.O about the amount of RAM available in a sampler from 2010/2011, but I don’t worry about it, now.

2-4 more outputs would have been really nice, though. Ah well, it doesn’t stop me :slight_smile:

If you sample with a Static Machine, you can record as much time as your Compact Flash card will allow.

What Merlin said in his ot.pdf file makes sense to me - Elektron designed the OT to let you do a lot of messing around with shorter audio, yet still allow you to stream backing tracks that you don’t expect to muck with too much from the CF card.

1 Like

Please, can you tell me how to setup a Static to record? -…- pleeease!!

Aren’t the recorder buffers only available in the Flex machine slot list? I can’t check for myself until later, but I was under the impression that despite not technically having to assign a machine in order to record, you can only reach the buffers by first selecting the Flex machine slot list. Or is there another method you’re thinking of, Gov. Silver?

[/quote]
Yeah – seriously? Can you do this???

[/quote]
Yeah – seriously? Can you do this???[/quote]
Sorry guys…i was a bit of sarcastic … :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[/quote]
Yeah – seriously? Can you do this???[/quote]
No you cannot… static machines are playback only… recordings will ALWAYS be in a flexslot…
I am very sure about this.
Yes, the biggest sample you can playback on an octatrack is “the size of your compact flashcard” … but thats only PLAYBACK…

2 Likes

Sorry everyone, I didn’t mean to raise false hopes (recording into static machine).

Long audio tracks do make you get away from the Octatrack ideal of working without a computer (make a long track in the computer or import into computer, then USB transfer to OT or copy to CF card via external CF card reader), unless someone here has a successful experience transferring such a track from a hardware multi-track recorder to Octatrack, without a computer.

I think OT could be a really powerful computerless mobile solution.
Computer comes in only at some first steps for scratching a project or for backup duties.

Once sounds and shits are inside OT then they become beauties!!

Hi all :joy:

I basicly look at the OT as new school track recorder

go to the set up menu to memory and set the recorder buffer on R1 only
then choose 16 or 24 bit recording (I use 16 and dynamics at the moment)
on the right side you can see how much memory you can use, take it all the way up till it matches up and your done press ok, mind all buffers will reset

I use the pick up machine on track 1 memory max out on R1
now I use tr2 for AB input and 3 for CD say MD+ MNM

start making a drumtrack while playin live and record this on
tr1 with the pick up machine that is set to max and set to record from tr 2 main output and or ab cd for the dry signals. you can record a solo track separate or a mix of previous recording its what you want to do
for about 8-9 min and repeat this process until done
I find it real chill to work this way

take listen to my tracks they where all made within the octatrack
think of it like a reel to reel track recorder oldschool style
and be sure to open a new project when you start

1 Like

With Memory Config > Dynamic Recorder =Yes, Reserve Length =None, you can see the max available time for recording (without Flex samples in Flex slots).

16 bit > 508s, 8m28s
24 bit > 339s, 5m39s

5 Likes

Bet they will gradually raise those specs over the next up models to justify upgrading. Cant complain tho, still pretty great​:call_me_hand::call_me_hand: