What the (my) world needs is... (warning: sampler)

Nice! Is there a limit to the amount of slices per sample? Say I want 68 slices that I can access via my Digitone, that would be sweet if possible?

1 Like

…get a mpc 1000 with jjos…cheap to catch, easy to use, got all ur asking for and quite a lot on top with jjos, that can’t disturb u, if u don’t use it…
these middle age mpc’s where the last truu samplers from akai and there anything but outdated…in fact, one of those and a dt or ot is ALL it needs, when it comes to sampling…timeless, versatile and tight as fuk…promise.

3 Likes

There’s a limit, but I don’t recall its top. Tho multisampling limits at 64 samples, so it’s likely the splices do, too.

1 Like

Thanks again for the helpful replies. The BB might be a nice little companion for my Digitone.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s great on its own and equally awesome with friends :blush:

Yes - been thinking about this option, although second hand prices seem to be comparable to the live (but from what I read, functionality on 1000 actually seems a little more complete, which seems odd, but yeah… probably more sold on the 1000 than the live!).

I must admit - I’m almost 100% sold on this 1010 blackbox though!! Will do more and more research into it, and think about how to build it into a live set… actually seems very doable… even if it’s hard to switch projects on the fly(??) (limiting me to 16 tracks) it seems like itd be easy to chain tracks within tracks (I.e. have track 1 as a kick track, but have e.g. 20 kicks loaded up in there, and just change kicks on a new tune; have another track with perc loops, but again have like 20 loaded up one after the other and swap in for new tune; etc.).

The mind is boggling, which is always a good thing :slight_smile:

1 Like

…chain tracks within tracks?
souns pretty much like one of the many ot tricks to me…slice it, baby…

blackbox is fancy…but it’s pretty much, as if mpc and ot had given birth to a one trick pony kiddo…

What the world needs is finished, completely tested and bugless free gear!

3 Likes

And some love. The world needs some of that too.

3 Likes

Ya… pretty straight forward approach :wink: I’m actually doing a heap of that for my DT at the moment too (evenly spaced hits, for easy navigation slicing - 8 hits?.. start 15 30 45 60 etc.). Easier slicing on the bb seems even more freindly, but I wouldnt bother if switching projects is harmless (super quick load times; clock stays dead in sync; etc. for example).

Still tossing up options… I have been reading on the 1010 forums about some clocking issues (as slave) - not sure if its user error tho (e.g. feedback loop)… seems a bit hard to believe that they’d screw up clocking - its about the most compelling argument technically to do a hw only setup (no dodgy OS midi jitter)… although, I’m also doing it for my own “other” reasons ;)…

Might do some hefty reading up on mpc 1000. I like a few of the more modern tweaks in the blackbox, but if they’re less functional in a longish set, they might not be worth the emotional strain of “not quite pulling off what I hoped” Haha…

I thought I’d just close off this thread for the sake of anyone who got this far!.. it’s sometimes a shame when a relevant thread just ends ;)…

So… I ended buying a toraiz sp16 after a heap of reading online and sorting through the seas of disappointment associated with this unit, it seemed to still allow exactly what I wanted / “need”. Its NOT the basic sampler originally discussed in this thread - sadly that doesnt exist; but - it IS an absolute beast and I’m very pleased. A black box would be bound to please me too, but there was a sale on the tsp16 which brought it to within $150 (store price); and I could demo it - so after 2 hours in store I bought the tsp16 with 30 day return allowed in case I hit show stoppers (eg cant sync). Fwiw, I also liked the form factor a little more on the tsp16 (especially for mutes etc).

A few thoughts on the tsp16:
yes, its somewhat incomplete; but what it does now is perfect for me - core groove duties (in both drum/perc and musical stuff).

Its lack of deep features makes for an easy and pleasant user experience. It does have relatively in depth parameter locks per step though, which is great (kind of essential if you want to program nuanced grooves).

It has limited but sufficient midi control options - biggest thing missing for me is external triggering of sliced samples (can only externally trigger the root sample at the start point). That said, I’m aiming to use a digitakt midi channel to trigger pattern changes to extend the 4 bar limited sequence which hopefully works (that enables me to write a few more patterns into the tsp with cute changes, whilst avoiding annoyingly changing the pattern every bar or two… while I’m able to pattern change manually, it’s just wayyy less fun, particularly if ur trying to tweak out a synth at the same time). Also means my pattern changes all come from one device:) …Ideally tho, they’d include slice triggering via notes… then I can sequence fills and tweaks meaningfully from digitakt.

As master clock it’s rock solid with every piece of gear I’ve tried it with. As slave its effectively unusable!

It’s not for everyone. It’s a xox style sequencer (in a good way) that has immaculate sound quality. But it’s best suited to someone who wants to put the time into sample creation first - and also someone who’s dead keen to work with its limitations (ie, I’m creating sample chains with the overall limit of 256mb per project in mind… no long-long sounds… you’d just burn ur limit too quick. Also, you can only load ONE sample per slot per scene (16 scenes) - you cant change that sample in another pattern within that scene so your limited in theory to 16 tunes per set. But each scene has 16 patterns (which is a LOT for a techno tune such as what I’m writing) SO, I’m creating sample chains that have 2-4 tunes in them, so I can squeeze more out of each scene… e.g. hh channel has 4 different hh sets in sample chains; kicks, etc the same… I’m loving it, but that takes care and effort that may not be for everyone!.. if you just used 16 one shots… damn… I think you’d be pretty limited!! Also, “slicing” really is best if you treat it like a sample chain with equally spaced parts - theres no transient detect, and although you can adjust start end points manually it’s pretty painful… I’m just exporting sliced parts as equally spaced hits from my daw… very easy to then slice at e.g. “16 equal parts”. Another example of effort which may not appeal to everyone though!

Once you take the time to set up samples how you like, the thing is a breeze and I’m fckn loving it. It actually is a game changer :wink:

Hopefully that helps someone out there!!

Peas…

1 Like

Yes Toraiz SP16 is a great machine, what it lacks in bells and whistles it makes up for in immediacy, sound quality and ease of use.

2 Likes

Hope you enjoy the sp16!

If you ever return it, seems that there are a few of us blackbox owners on here so feel free to ask any questions.

Let us know what you make with that sp16! You know, maybe share a tune or two :musical_note:

Did you consider the TR8S instead of the SP-16 ? If yes, what made you prefer the SP16 ?

Just repurchased one

1 Like

I am thinking of pairing blackbox with SP16

2 Likes

Oh that would be something else!

I was thinking about linking my ipad pro(beatmaker 3) to the sp16 for multisamples but with the update on the blackbox I think that would be a better solution for the sp16’s lack of multisampling/keymapping

1 Like

Been christmas’ing with family / friends, so sorry for slow responses!..

I had a brief look at it (tr8s), but was less interested as it seemed to be a one-shot machine (ie one sound per track). I recall reading a little more in that space but cant remember - maybe an annoying limit of samples per project??.. dunno BUT: it’s a pretty cool piece of gear I’d imagine - but maybe not for what I was envisaging.

I love slicing a sample within a single sequencer track (either a loop I’ve created; OR just creating sample chains of multiple sounds per sample)… black box and tsp16 both do that. Allows a fairly epic variety of sounds within a single pattern. Maybe tr8s can slice though?..

Other than that, the fact it was on sale and available to demo made me give it a go… and after a few early concerns, I’m loving it. Totally.

Hey dude… yeah, maybe I will - its pumping out some pretty awesome grooves at the moment. I’m loving the workflow and no bs sound quality (what you put in, you get out). I sadly doubt its be a video tho…

1 Like