What Synths are capable of instant Program Changes for Elektron Program Change Sequencing?

Thanks for trying it out and to report back man! Much appreciated.

After some more browsing around the web it seems the DSI stuff is really well suited for this stuff in general. The Tetra is on my watch-list now :wink:

Another fairly priced option: The Nord Rack/Lead 2 snaps between programs multitimbrally (x4) via the Monomachine with ease & has a nice drum map mode.

3 Likes

can the korg monologue program change?

Dont you already have a blofeld? Saw your recent video.

1 Like

Had to send that one back before the arrival of a MnM.

The keyboard took to much desk-space so my initial plan was to exchange it for a desktop one because I love the sound of the Blofeld, but I also had problems in multi-mode changing samples resulting in freezes and weird stuff with clicks/screeches/crackles and what have you.

I couldn’t give it a proper try on quick program changes using synth patches only, but I am a afraid it’s not really up for the task because of my experience with it… Perhaps I just had a bad machine, but nonetheless I think checking out some alternatives couldn’t hurt, right? :wink:

1 Like

can confirm Monologue snaps to ProgCh messages like a champ. Its own internal seq also does direct pattern jump.

3 Likes

Its known to be abit buggy. I do have the desktop version and have not experienced any issues.

1 Like

wicked :rofl:

speaking of the fb-01 i just picked one up for 50$ and cant seem to get the digitakt to control program changes on the beast. any help? the manual is cryptic as hell and i cant seem to get it going at all. anything would be appreciated :smile:

Hello
I have the same problem with DIGITAKT (master) and Roland TR8-S (slave) changing patterns there is always a drop on the first step.
Thanks for help
A

I was wondering about this as well.

So for bass station 2 it doesn’t have a sequencer, only an arp, so you would need to p-lock sequences to change the sound per step using digitakt, or digitone (not octatrack, because you can not p-lock PC on octatrack… yet. I am not sure about if cycles or models can p-lock PC when tracks are used as a midi sequencer or not, have not looked into it; if anyone knows please share; also not sure if MnM, or machinedrum could p-lock PC either). For instance, if you have PC from OT midi out to A4 midi in the same patterns will play in sync and whatever sounds loaded on those patterns will play, if you want that type of functionality the bass station 2 will NOT work for that, because if you change the pattern the PC will have a bleep on every 16th step and then go back to the patch that was already loaded instead of switching to the new program entirely.

I second korg monologue works well for step by step program changes via p-lock on midi tracks. Not sure if the korg monologue and minilogue will change sequence patches along with the elektron pattern change or not as I have not tested that - only have tried sequencing monologue from digitone midi track which works great.

I have recently tested the rd-8, rd-6, and td-3 which all only respond to midi transport, not program changes, even though they have sequencers (maybe this will change in the future firmware updates). So I am guessing all the new ‘behringer clone’ line up do not work to change patterns along with program changes from elektron machines, pretty disappointing as these are great sounding instruments. Basically I was wondering which synths out there, drum machine, analog, or fm, etc. would change its patterns along with the elektron machines, a definitive list would be really useful. Obviously, all elektron machines work REALLY great together in this department. What you want is for the program change to switch the pattern to match the same pattern or program that the elektron master device is on because then all the devices are playing on the same program so in this way you can link together a lot of synths seemlessly and send all their audio outputs into a mixer. Basically pattern 1 would be the same pattern you work on on every synth that is connected and when you switch to pattern 3 all will switch seemlessly via the program change to pattern or ‘program 3’, so everything stays organized and clean workflow.

Can anyone think of any that aren’t on this list? I recently tested Prologue and confirm that it is not fast enough. OG Minilogue as well. Monologue is indeed quite fast enough. Got confirmation from a friend that Skulpt is too slow. Anything not in this list that we can contribute some info (good or bad) to?

Personally I’m hoping to find an analog poly that doesn’t break the bank that would be capable of replacing my Minilogue.

1 Like

Don’t know about newer analogs, but the Korg radias is snappy enough. Also the integra is no slouch.

Are there some nice examples available somewhere around? Would love 2 c DT controlling Nord 2x or G1

I’ve heard this about the Radias, Integra, and that (most) Nord’s are fine, same with DSI/Sequential. Of course the only one I have is the Tempest that doesn’t do MIDI PC and has awkward workarounds. I’d love to compile a list.

2 Likes

Peak – it’s rapid at changes, there’s a demo online somewhere I think

2 Likes

Very unlikely the G1 can do instant program change. The G2 takes a second or longer (depending on patch/performance size) to respond to PC as most of the time each patch / performance has a different architecture. Even if exactly the same modules and connections are the same in two patches / performances, the synth reloads those same modules upon PC.

I don’t know about the Leads: as they have a fixed architecture, maybe they respond to PC change instantly.

1 Like

Your are absolutely right… Someone told above that G1 has a kind of “snapshots” for each patch and it’s possible to switch between them via CC. With Leads I guess it will do the job fine.

The G2 has 8 patch variations. All settings can be changed (except for modules and connections )in each variation, meaning they are essentially different programs. Switching between the 8 variations with midi CC70 is instant. IIRC, the G1 doesn’t have patch variations.

pulsn did that in a very similar thread.

4 Likes