What Synths are capable of instant Program Changes for Elektron Program Change Sequencing?

Hi folks,

I am having lots of fun sequencing Midi Program Changes per step and using the Octatrack for sequencing the Midi Notes per step with a different track length at the same time using the iCMIDI2+ resulting in some very nice ‘happy accidents’ as we Elektronauts know them.

Anyway, I tried this first using a Roland System-1 which I thought would be suitable for this ‘Instant Program Change’ kind of stuff, but it was very sloppy.
However, I had great success using a vPed running Samplelord (SF2 player) switching between various Soundfonts on the fly using the MnM Program Change Sequences without any audible gaps on 6 MIDI channels at the same time.

So I was wondering which hardware synthesizers are best suited for this without audio gaps and sloppy patch switching or what have you…

I would love using a HW multi-timbral va synth for this and was thinking of things like a Blofeld, Virus, Tetra, but before I buy and try random stuff I would love to hear any experience you guys have with these or any recommendations.

Thanks.

Not the cheapest solution but The DSI OB6 works very well for that.
I sequence it with my Monomachine and its just mind blowing.

8 Likes

Bass Station II works well for this

Edit: Sorry, missed the bit about Multi-Timbral

3 Likes

the VA’s Nord Lead A1 and Lead 4 are affordable synths: each 4 slots for single sounds and 4 performance slots, where you an stack an split sounds.

Blofeld has some nice sounds but its GUI is horrible. In an multitimbral setup you get easily lost.

The TI is imho the best multitombral on market but its setup is tricky from time to time, depending on your current OS and your hardware around it (hubs!).

1 Like

Cheers, aside from the complexity of these synths… How do they react to instant program changes?

Another thought…Since they all have on-board FX I can imagine this can also get messy when quickly sequencing program changes.

Can only speak for the Blofeld but it’s fine. Since the FX are so awful, chief being the clocked delay that crackles with the slightest clock jitter, you’ll never want to use them anyway. :thup:

1 Like

Rapid program changes, note for note i.e., is really no problem. I had such a setup with a MnM and a bass station II (Dataline inspired). Delay- and reverb tails are not recommend in such a setting, as long as they don’t have very low feedbacks and aren’t synced. It depends upon the step length - everything shorter than a 1/16 note sounds messy, better to retrigger.

2 Likes

My ti snow reakt very well to program changes.
No gap of soud, no click.
The A4 same.
But you can use mono with several oscillators that can make chords. Then the Evolver and waldorf pulse first generation are very good at this game.
HavFun

3 Likes

It’s not a VA and the interface is basically non-existent, but the Yamaha FB-01 is a champ at at handling program changes. They are also generally inexpensive. They sound great if you’re into dirty FM!

4 Likes

Thanks for the response guys,

I’ve always wanted to try a Virus TI and that snow looks like a nice addition to my setup regarding features and format… It’s also one of the synths which features individual effects in multi-timbral mode if I am correct which is a real plus.

The Yamaha FB-01 is also a very nice tip for some FM goodness… Will keep that in mind since these are quite cheap and could be a very nice addition to the MnM I think :slight_smile:

Keep em coming!

Tetra switches programs instantly. And you can switch them via CC too from the OT if you like.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info man! Much appreciated :slight_smile:

Can confirm. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Another one i have been testing is the Nord Modular G2 sequencing the variations.
Its not program change cause you dont change the patch per se but each variations can be called using CC. Crazy stuff happen when using the Nord Mod with the Monomachine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Huhum,
Well I made a test tonight, with Snow, and maybe I’ll change my statement about is ability to instant change the prog change.
The change isn’t so efficient than I thought. The Snow as a kind of latence between the instruction gave on mono and the effective change. All looks like there’s a delay of one prog change. So when you expect a sound to play, it’s the previous sound that still play. So you have at least one program delay and sometimes the Snow seems to play two times the same sound.
So :

1. I retrieve what I said :rolling_eyes:
  2. I destroyed your dream :cry:
  3. You have a deception :sad:
  4. My previous post isn’t reliable (a bit like snow ability to hardly prog change) :smile:

But this default can have an advantage : when changing prog on each step of the sixteen steps of a bar, you obtain a loop that is pretty regular in it’s irregularities and also the contrary ! So there’s still an interest, but no way for what you’re looking for.

1 Like

Thanks for trying it out and to report back man! Much appreciated.

After some more browsing around the web it seems the DSI stuff is really well suited for this stuff in general. The Tetra is on my watch-list now :wink:

Another fairly priced option: The Nord Rack/Lead 2 snaps between programs multitimbrally (x4) via the Monomachine with ease & has a nice drum map mode.

3 Likes

can the korg monologue program change?

Dont you already have a blofeld? Saw your recent video.

1 Like

Had to send that one back before the arrival of a MnM.

The keyboard took to much desk-space so my initial plan was to exchange it for a desktop one because I love the sound of the Blofeld, but I also had problems in multi-mode changing samples resulting in freezes and weird stuff with clicks/screeches/crackles and what have you.

I couldn’t give it a proper try on quick program changes using synth patches only, but I am a afraid it’s not really up for the task because of my experience with it… Perhaps I just had a bad machine, but nonetheless I think checking out some alternatives couldn’t hurt, right? :wink:

1 Like