What’s next for Ess / Fors?

A humble request for parameter locks on steps without a gate/trigger (you know what I am talking about :smiley: )

:pray:

2 Likes

A little sequencer humor. Probably…

:stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Really loving your new creations @Ess
Very happy customer here :pray:t3::heartpulse:

In this case I’d buy syntakt in a breeze

1 Like

i know there have been some feature requests and other posts to reply to
you are probably busy & mine are not urgent but i humbly wanna ask a few technical questions:

• did you consider using RNBO to allow for easy Opal integration outside of Ableton? if so, were there under-the-hood features of m4l which led you to stick with that framework?
  • if not…do you know how difficult would it be to port an app with this level of complexity?
  • i love the tightly integrated UI animations for all your Fors devices (esp. Chiral, Glänta, & Opal)…can you talk a bit about how that is done? or at least what inspires design implementation and iconography across Fors brand? i must admit that it’s a major factor in my enjoyment when i play with your tools
1 Like

No, RNBO doesn’t do much for me that I couldn’t do myself – porting the DSP to C++ is not a big hurdle when it comes to making a plugin for me. The UI and the rest of the functionality is far more difficult for example. Plus, I don’t think RNBO is that viable for creating commercial plugins, licensing being just one issue. Not trying to badmouth RNBO, I just don’t think it makes sense for my use case.

It’s not so much a matter of porting as it is to build it more or less from scratch. :sweat_smile:
It would take a lot of time, basically.

Thank you! On a technical level I design the interfaces in Sketch and then implement them in Javascript. But I usually start out just making rough sketches of the layout with a pen and paper. I’m an interface-first kind of designer so often the functionality and visual design/layout goes hand in hand.

Iconography-wise I’m very inspired by classic graphic design, bold and clear logos like the work of Saul Bass, Paul Rand… That kind of stuff. But also I have a deep affection for The Designer’s Republic who, conversely, I think inspired Jesper Kouthoofd’s work for Elektron’s earlier products which/who is also a huge inspiration to me.

19 Likes

Wow, this is spectacular! I’ve been working on a drum synth, but this sent me back to the drawing board. Excellent work.

Is there any chance of an effect version of the Flux sampler? This is my favorite feature on MD/OT and it’s working beautifully here. I’m just completely blown away.

3 Likes

DR and their work with PWEI and others is massive.

1 Like

Great point…that licensing agreement was actually part of why i hadn’t been so excited to make stuff with it myself

I had totally forgotten why :sweat_smile:

Thanks for all the other answers & such quick response!

2 Likes

greaaat !

The one thing I’m struggling with is the Flux sampler. I’ve made about 5 sketches today - and I’ve had the odd happy accident from the flux sampler effect, but not really understanding how to maximise it and what range of sounds is possible/what the modulation sweet spots are etc.

Loving it even more now I’ve got a days experience behind my initial hype though. Hopefully the flux will reveal its treasures to me in the coming days!

Flux is pretty weird! It basically continuously records the whole pattern and divides that into 16 different slices that you can trigger. It will kind of evolve alongside the pattern as different meters and divisions will fall into different places over time.

I find it useful for adding just some effect or top layer run through the reverb. In some sparser patterns it can be cool to use it as a customizable delay too, if you for example trigger the same slice in succession.

Think of it as a tape loop that you can choose different points in time to recall. I had the idea at 5 AM once when I couldn’t sleep, so that could have something to do with its strangeness. Once harnessed, it’s quite the effective tool though. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Oh, and spoilers:

:slight_smile:

41 Likes

Ahh thanks for the explanation! Flux definitely adds an interesting “weirdness” to stuff but I had no idea what I was actually controlling

if you can have a feature where the sequencer can do midi out then this would be a dream device

4 Likes

Great work Ess. I just bought Kit & Opal. They inspire me to use Ableton for something other than just editing, and have a healthy does of experimental flavour to them. Highly recommended :star_struck:

1 Like

I think this would need to be its own device – like an Opal for external instruments/plugins/devices – in any case this is definitely something I want to do down the line, it just wasn’t feasible for the initial release. :slight_smile:

18 Likes

The stuff I have got out out if it (I think it was that) kind of remind me of AMSR breathy whispery vocal type stuff.

Just for clarity, if you are engaging Flux, does it feed into the reverb? Or the other way round (or even serial?)

Hip Hop here we come :smiley:

2 Likes

So time shift I guess ?