What polysynth would pair well with a Digitone?

Nord lead A1

2 Likes

Mutable Instruments Ambika

After a bit of playing with current setup of Digitone + Nord Drum 2, I let the DSI Tetra auction go, since I’m not ready for more complexity just yet. (Plus my self-gift is really for October).

I also thought about the Tetra a bit more, and can’t get excited about a software editor.
The ideal would be a similar size box to play chords/pads on, with the ability to create patches directly on its controls, even if I only then play them as presets later.

After spending the weekend with one, I would suggest the Roland Alpha Juno 1 or 2 as a solid all-rounder, that can go into pretty experimental territory if provoked. Simple enough to program on its panel but today’s apps and editors let you see and tweak all the parameters at once. Also has great feeling keyboard action making it a great controller for the DN or other gear (the 2 being better with velocity and aftertouch.)

2 Likes

Korg Minilogue is always a good bet. Picking up the original + some pedals could be an option that gets you into some unexpected territory.
Lyra 8 if you want to get etherial!
Run the Minologue into the lyra 8…

Woops I am projecting my fantasy :otter:

If only the Roland SE-02 had playable chords :frowning:
(Tuning osc2 and osc3 doesn’t count)

i never gave these two the time of day until a friend posted a video tour of his studio. this guy is a deep house legend and studio rat, so when he vouched for his alpha, said it’s one of his favorites, i was like alright need to check this. now i’m dying to own a alpha 2 (but really because i can’t afford, nor can imagine being able to afford any time in the next few years, the 60+midi mod haha). I wish there were more solid Juno clones out there. the JU would be the one if they just made a damn 6 voice version instead of bending people over to buy two :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :unamused:

Roland SH01A. A poly SH just sounds like a pretty great thing to have around full stop. Or Prophet Rev2 (Module if you want the smaller form factor and have the budget). I like the suggestions of Blofeld and whatnot, but i feel like something warmer and more… traditional… might compliment the DN better. I guess it depends on the music you make and the esthetic you like, in the end.

2 Likes

indeed. It sounds pretty great poly. and it has a very nice polysequencer included

The Alpha series has some interesting advantages over other Junos, like way more osc options (PWM on sawtooth waves!), more envelope parameters and variable chorus speed, that make up for the less characterful filter (vs say the 106.) It does great typical bass and pad sounds, but the evolving feedback-y drones it can also do really surprised me.
I also have a SH-01a coming soon, will be interesting to compare them.

1 Like

while we’re at it, a question about the alphas (sorry going a bit off topic): I know the Alpha 1 keyboard doesn’t support velocity/pressure info, but the synth does via MIDI (or pedal). Does that mean using it with a MIDI controller (like my SL mkiii) would allow me to play with velocity sensitivity? I’m assuming yes, but figure i’d make sure 100%, as I can’t really fit a 61 key in little home studio corner and want one of them :slight_smile:

Juno 1 supposedly responds to both velocity and aftertouch (you can see it in the parameters and in the MIDI spec chart) but haven’t had a chance to try it out myself yet. The Juno 2 receives and transmits both.

That’s another striking thing about the Juno 1, how compact it is… makes my ESQ1 looks like a behemoth in comparison :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am in this boat. Looking for a desktop module friend for the DN.

The Rev2 seems like a very interesting and (relatively) affordable synth. I’m looking for character, not necessarily bells and whistles.

I’m actually heavily leaning towards a Vermona Perfourmer Mk2 but have, of course, the niggling feeling that I could have more versatility for the money.

Any thoughts - will a Rev2 feel like it’s so modern that it’s almost like a VST could do exactly the same? That’s my doubt.

For budget reasons, these seem like the two good options - maybe the Beepmind as well.

This was exactly what I was going to suggest. The Nord’s 4-part multi-timbral maps so cleanly to the Digitone’s 4 midi tracks. The A1 is a deceptively simple synth but I’ve managed to coax all kinds of interesting sounds out of it. It’s all sweet-spot.

2 Likes

I’m not very experienced, but I had the Digitone / Rev2 combo for a while. I sold the Rev2 - I couldn’t get them to work nicely together for my style of music, and I felt a bit burned because I did feel like it didn’t offer that much more than Ableton Suite and a variety of plugins (again, for my style). I also like in-the-box and the Rev2 was keeping me away from my screens (I had the keys version). Hope this helps, I have heard amazing sounds from this combo so it could be just a personal case!

1 Like

Another Digitone, hehe.

3 Likes

they would complement each other perfectly :grimacing:

Had a Prophet 08 and a Perfourmer MK2. Perfourmer sounded massive compared to the Prophet but the Prophet could make a wider range of sounds, though Perfourmer’s playmodes/multitimbrality is special. Also had a Tetra, Matrix 6R, MKS-50, …sold all those DCO-analogs and got an iPad. :slight_smile: Kept the Perfourmer until I sold everything for Eurorack (big mistake).

Eurorack is a mistake or selling the Perfourmer was a mistake? :slight_smile:

Eurorack was a mistake. For me at least. Never been addicted to something so bad, other than nicotine and alcohol.

1 Like