What polysynth would pair well with a Digitone?

Audiothingies Micromonsta? It’s not analogue but sounds great, is comparatively tiny and has extensive cc control. If I ever do a live show, that will be the poly that I bring as it’s so portable and versatile – just a shame it is monotimbral from that POV.

Ambika, scroll up.

Not very analog-sounding, though - I’d like to contrast with the Digitone.

The Waldorf Pulse 2 is looking like the only real option…

Pulse 2 is not a polysynth, though. I think both the Ambika and the Micromonsta can sound pretty analogue, ymmv

2 Likes

…any…

sure u need poly…?

nord lead 2xl rackversion…always fine…no fx though…but tight 20 voices in four multitimbral parts…
which would fit the four midi trax u got there…poly of the finest…

but one single and simple analog voice might do the better trick…

The subtractive synthesis part of the Ambika is 100% analog. (The VCF and VCA are 100% analog)
The oscillator is digital.

The pulse is a monosynth. Me, personally, I’d get a analog 4 mk1 before getting a pulse.

Also, if you want more “lively oscillators” the DCOs on the pulse might not cut it.

Also checkout the minilogue XD desktop.

DSI Tetra is sounding pretty good.

(It’s a pity this is only duophonic! https://www.ploytec.com/pl2/)

Dreaming of Tetra now…
Especially when I see it can do keyboard split.

Wondering if there’s anything analogue similar size or smaller, but still with presets and good MIDI setup.

OB6! It is awesome and will compliment the DT.

1 Like

OB6 if you have the money
Prophet 6 If you want the prophet sound
Peak if you want to invest less but still have a decent analog polyphonic synth
Nord Lead 2X cheap second hand Virtual Analog with 20 voices

I have a nord rack 2x and it pairs perfectly with DN, 4 Nord Patches on 4 midi DN tracks,

the Nord is a beautiful synth with a a knob for each function, but the sounds are quite basic you cannot do a lot with it and it is a virtual analog (digital) probably one of the best VA ever made.

3 Likes

I’m really looking for something in a small format, poly, ideally multi-timbral, to use 1-3 of the Digitone MIDI channels. I’d like to do all the control from Digitone, so that a SysEx dump is canonical.

There’s a Tetra for sale, ending today, on a local auction site. Not crazy cheap, but local means low shipping and no customs fees.

But I may hold off for now, and wait to be a “reward” for making it through a turbulent period at work…

1 Like

as suggested above, I’d look at a Nord Rack 2 or 2X. four part multi-timbral for the price is pretty solid. there’s drum sounds in there as well.

3 Likes

I’ve got a blofeld and like it with the Digitakt!

I ve exchanged my microfreak with a micromonsta a few weeks ago and my dudes: that thing screams like a juno. Best trade ever.

LE: I paired it with digitone for the ‘musical’ part in my tracks.

1 Like

I know you said no controls but I’d give some serious consideration to the Argon8M if I were you. It’s a very interesting wavetable synth with a really nice sound and I think it will give you something you don’t have in the Digitone. Perfectly sequencable from the DN and no reason you can’t automate CC instead of using the built in sequencer lanes.

I’ve been looking for a poly and for me the perfect collection that all complement eachother are:
Digitone
Argon8
Nord Lead 2X Rack
Analog4 or MFB Synth Pro

That covers the bases of FM, Digital wavetable, multi-timbral VA, and real analog subtractive.

2 Likes

A lot of analogues are overrated. Some sound like a bag of nails to me. Lol
I’d take argon8 over a lot of them. Not that much available that are multitimbral tho. Tetra really interested me a while back but programming it seemed a total kill joy

1 Like

I have Digitone Keys and I pair mine with the Korg Radias R
Works like a dream, Radias is 4 part multi and sequenced by DK 4 midi tracks, 3 part synths 1 part drums, sounds great too.

5 Likes

Oh no, the auction has 2 more days to run!

Also looking at the Waldorf Pulse 2…

The Roland SH01A

1 Like

Iridium

1 Like