What midi controllers have a lot of programmable knobs?

I recommend the Launch Control XL.

Excellent build quality and feel. The LEDs are very useful for remembering layouts.

If you dig in a little to MIDI, you can make the lights change for bi-directional feedback.

Only potential issue is they only have USB connection. Not a problem if you use a router or computer.

I use 4 in my setup, along with 4 Launchpads too. Novation have been steadily improving and updating the firmware and software, some amazingly useful features in there now!

4 Likes

https://shik.tech](https://shik.tech/)

I’ve heard good things about this one, although if your plan is to use it with a device that’ll be switching between projects, you may want to consider something with endless encoders so that you’re not experiencing value jumps.

These have endless encoders. You can connect several of them and they’ll run off of a single power source. They only have usb midi though, so if you plan to use it with hardware you’ll have to purchase a usb to midi adapter. You have several options for that but intech makes one that’s really compact.

Another endless encoder option with usb midi. It’s limited to 16 knobs (with three pages that you can cycle through) but it has visual feedback on each knob so when you jump between pages or open a new project, it’ll visualize the current position of your parameters.

This looks like a winner mate. I want to be able to write knob presets so when I go between arturia instruments I am ready to start programming from an init state

I refrained from mentioning this one because it doesn’t have that many physical knobs, but as long as you’re ok with page/bank-switching, it really is killer. Reminds me of how my beloved Nord Modular G2 works, only with even better visual feedback. It’s been on my wishlist for a while.

How many do you need? I have a UC4 it has 8 buttons and 8 push encoders plus banks, modes much more my favourite. And you can get a Xone controller but I spent some money on faderfox.

3 Likes

“Only” 12 encoders, but they are top quality, have a great feeling, and can be assigned to anything.

And the community around it. Even here: Electra one - programmable midi (CC, SysEx, NRPN) controller.

2 Likes

Behringer BCR-2000 and the new version BCR32, if ever gets released

1 Like

+1 for the Faderfox UC4, small but very powerful.

2 Likes

Its Fantastic should work with everything you do. But there is no Ableton Live 12 Midi mapping yet. Tried it on Digitone, Rytm, Bass Station. And USB powered like many things in my setup.

email directly to Faderfox, he can usually get one out pretty quickly.

4 Likes

Done.

1 Like

Mathias(=Mr. Faderfox) just replied that the Live 11 script is also working for Live 12.

2 Likes

Ye Olde Evolution uc33 has lots of knobs and also 8+1 sliders for controlling the level of each track on an octatrack, plus master volume.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/evolution-uc33

The slightly less old uc33e can be programmed from a PC over usb.

More modern controllers are easier to use, but you can get one of these cheaper than the newer alternatives.

1 Like

I’m getting rid of a uc33e. Beggars belief that this format hasn’t been made over and over again.

1 Like

Peavey PC1600
Kenton Control Freak
Both come up second hand once in a while and are worth looking at with PC editor and 16 long throw faders + 16 buttons.
I really like the Novation Launch Control… I picked up a couple a few years ago at £20 ea.
8 knobs + 8 buttons

We do have the LaunchControl XL and the Akai MidiMix.

But yeah, you’d think there would be at least a dozen more options, especially with the increased popularity of DAWless setups with tiny boxes short on controls.

But they don’t have full sized midi.

Faderfox script works again, I think I created a folder in my user library but Ableton seems to check the resources folder anyway, a bit confusing.

1 Like

Electra 1 is awesome. Just got ahold of a Bitstream 3x, which is also great. One modern and available, one old(ish) and obscure, both great (and time-consuming).

1 Like

For my use-case (controlling an Octatrack without having a PC or USB MIDI host in the mix), the Doepfer Pocket Control is perfect. I wanted knobs, not encoders because I want to be able to see the position of them at a glance and the Octa itself has encoders. They don’t make them anymore but they do occasionally come up on eBay/Reverb and seem to be built like tanks (full metal enclosure, quality pots, full size MIDI jacks!).

I believe Doepfer now sell a kit that is the innards of this but for DIYers to make their own controllers but that’s waaaay beyond my capabilities.

2 Likes