What midi controllers have a lot of programmable knobs?

But they don’t have full sized midi.

Faderfox script works again, I think I created a folder in my user library but Ableton seems to check the resources folder anyway, a bit confusing.

1 Like

Electra 1 is awesome. Just got ahold of a Bitstream 3x, which is also great. One modern and available, one old(ish) and obscure, both great (and time-consuming).

1 Like

For my use-case (controlling an Octatrack without having a PC or USB MIDI host in the mix), the Doepfer Pocket Control is perfect. I wanted knobs, not encoders because I want to be able to see the position of them at a glance and the Octa itself has encoders. They don’t make them anymore but they do occasionally come up on eBay/Reverb and seem to be built like tanks (full metal enclosure, quality pots, full size MIDI jacks!).

I believe Doepfer now sell a kit that is the innards of this but for DIYers to make their own controllers but that’s waaaay beyond my capabilities.

2 Likes

Plus one for the BCR2000 - best value for the functionality of lots (32) endless encoders, din midi and parameter feedback imho.

I use several BCR2000 units. They are quite large and the knobs feel a little flimsy. But they are still going strong after many years despite that and work very well for me.

Also have a bit stream 3x which is pretty powerful but they are pots rather than endless encoders with LED rings, and again the knobs and sliders are a little flimsy. It’s got some very cool midi features tho like built in arp and a crossfader. But it is pretty old too so could have compatibility issues maybe with the editor etc. Not used mine for a long time.

What really appeals with the BCR2000 is that you can set it up to update the LED rings to show the current parameters when you change patches on a synth or effect unit or change focus to another device etc.

And if you buy the Zaquencer firmware you can also turn them into wicked analogue style 4 track midi step sequencers (can’t ‘switch’ back to midi controller function after that without putting the OG firmware back on tho).

There’s that Mackie C4 unit too but it’s old and rare. Has LCD scribble strips on that one. Not used one so can’t comment further but compatibility / editors might be awkward due to age.

2 Likes