What is the point of 'Saving a Pattern', though?

I’m pretty much on top of the Model: Cycles workflow at this point (had it just a few days, and it’s my first piece of Elektron gear!)

One thing I’m not grasping though is what the purpose of the Pattern Save functionality is. You can go into ‘Patterns’ in Config screen and ‘save’ it, which according to the manual ‘saves it to the current project’ – but wouldn’t that happen anyway just by saving the project?

My understanding is that Patterns are saved with the project. When you ‘load’ a pattern using the pattern + track + trig buttons, you are loading the patterns that exist in the current project. If you make new patterns, and save the project, they will be there whenever you reload that project.

So what is even the point of saving a pattern, then? There is no browser menu for loading them the way you load Presets and Projects – they are only ‘loaded’ via the Pattern + Track + Trigs, per Project…right?

Just totally not grokking what is even accomplished by ‘saving’ a pattern, given the structure of the box having patterns stored inside saved project…

if anybody could explain, that’d be great :slight_smile:

thanks,
-M

Say you edit multiple patterns, but only like the changes on one.

It’s the faster reverse way of recalling all the other patterns but that one, then saving the whole project.

It’ll eventually come in handy.

4 Likes

I use it as my main pattern save, used to func+cog to save whole project but mistakes were made over writing patterns other than the one I was working on. If you are totally in control of all the changes you may have made to each pattern in a project, then saving the whole project is usefull but pattern save leads to less mistakes imo.

It’s also good to use it as a temporary checkpoint (?).
So if you’re tweaking away and you’re happy where you’ve landed, save, then continue exploring further, if you don’t like it, reload. This can also be used musically to have weird tweaks return to a solid sound again, sort of like a drop, you know.

I’ve only done that on the Digitakt though, I’m just assuming that the Model:Cycles behaves similarly :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

It’s also cool for giving your patterns cool names like Arakn0idFilth

5 Likes

There’s a shortcut for saving the whole project? :-o

Func-gear/cog/whatever is practically worn out on mine! But I am now seeing the use for ONLY using write pattern to project. That…that actually makes a lot of sense. So many mistake made…

There’s no cog button on the Cycles? I am missing some piece of the puzzle here :grinning:

1 Like

Maybe not, I thought I was in a Digitakt thread for some reason.

1 Like

Ah, okay! No worries, clears it right up

1 Like

Somehow I also thought I was in a DT thread! Sorry!

2 Likes

Hey hey !! been using elektron for a while , but am i the only one that with the Cycles , Saving patterns seems so werid … It happens so often that i think i have saved all patterns and project but when i re-open the machine nothing is there …
I do trigger it only with a DT … but saving patterns doesn’t save sounds ?
i wish i could save all at the end of sessions like on DT or OT … :sweat_smile:

Perhaps this (Manual page 12):

2 Likes

Wow … yes totally hahah :sweat_smile:
I should read manuals always even tho i think i know the machine haha :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you .

1 Like

My story so far …

Actually you don’t even need to press FUNC, you can just hold the CONFIG button for a second

2 Likes