What is the Best Musical Advice You've Ever Gotten?

-“If it sounds good, it is good” should be the only answer given to 90% of the questions asked on musicmaking forums.

-“Make your life easier”: simple yet effective…

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :heart:

Yes i was thinking about sunnite wahabit extremists. Did not want to turn the thread in a religious one though :wink:

I guess we all have faith in music :pray: :wink:

2 Likes

It’s the interval of the tritone (augmented 4th/diminished 5th) that the church didn’t like.
Semitones were fine, many tunes resolve with a halfstep movement from the major 7th to the root of the key and 4 3 suspensions were pretty common too.

4 Likes

when you start something new, it’ll be crap for a while. so keep it to yourself.

whether it’s electronic music or a band, this has been true throughout my life. indeed the best bands I’ve been in have spent a year or more working on “our sound” before we let anyone else hear a single note. this is especially difficult when you’re excited about what you’re coming up with. but it’s excellent advice, and encourages restraint with all your music.

7 Likes

…what lauli says…

take!..ur!..time!..never rush…

Sorry for the shortcut. They had quite a few rules like the ban of the tritone or any sharp in the notation as going out of the diatonic scale, etc. Some writings mention the devil within eastern music and the use of many semi tones (i.e. minor harmonic scale).

My advice (to get back to the topic) on this is: please your ears, God is within you :wink:

“I warn you, if we don’t put the kibosh on this right now, in 10 years all the musical repertoire is polluted”.
(Talking about perfect intervals, and nothing else)

:point_up_2:

3 Likes

“Don’t get into gear” …

Haha, I did not listen though!

2 Likes

This remind me sometihng I read online, about eurorack users that start patching giving theirself specifical rules and limits (use only some modules etc…). This seems to be a good way to push creativity and learning the gear. I play a lot my eurorack system, but never tried to give some hard rules… I’ll give a try!

2 Likes

“On that video, when the par cans come on you can see that you’re starting to bald under all that hair. It isn’t a good look for the guitarist in a [late 80s/early 90s shoegazey guitar] band that spends its time on stage with heads draped low over their instruments. Get a proper job where that doesnt matter.” Or words to that effect.

1 Like

this is very true, I often think about it myself. I used to work months or years for some releases when I played in bands and when I started out making music on my own. With most albums I really love, I know that there was put in a lot of time and attention to detail.
I know there is a lot of stuff that sounds overproduced and there is something refreshing in hearing or recording jams, but often, the extra bit of quality is only achieved with time and effort.
Since I have a youtube and instagram channel I post a lot of stuff, that I usually would categorize as unfinished.
I often think I just should release stuff where I’m really convinced that it’s good and keep the rest to myself. More quality control so to say :slight_smile: But since it’s so easy to share stuff these days, it’s hard to resist to show what you do to others frequently.

1 Like

Bit harsh!

You should have said, “dear brother, don’t beat around the bush, tell me what you really mean!” :laughing:

1 Like

@LyingDalai I just had a thought, is your brother Tom?

:laughing:

5 Likes

I took it as follow through with your vision however unpopular, but I guess that context was lost in my post… at any rate this is an advice thread :slight_smile:

Every musician has a Brother Tom :slight_smile:

3 Likes

it’s a contextual thing, about not allowing your vision to be swayed until you at least follow through with it… I probably should have worded it differently but if it had meant what a couple of ya think this thread would prob not exist.

1 Like

Ok it makes more sense to perhaps not seek advice or opinion when in the process of creating. Although I definitely think advice from the ‘right people’ at some point is usually valuable. By the way - the Brian Eno ‘Oblique Strategies’ cards are very helpful in the studio I find! Should be on everyone’s shelf I reckon :slight_smile: They are great for getting you to take a moment to think about things from a different angle.

2 Likes

Define “good”.

1 Like
  1. Translated in my own words: Conviction. Cause if you don’t make music that you believe in yourself, how do you expect others to. (This is not about being insecure or not. It’s about following your gut and being truthful to what you feel like making)

2. Rule 8. Don’t try to create and analyse at the same time. They are different processes. (John Cage)

1. When in doubt: more reverb.
2 Likes