What is the Best Musical Advice You've Ever Gotten?

To me it’s a good advise. Whatever you definition of good, it’s about following your ears instead of recipes or what others tell you how you should do something

2 Likes

Try not to get too drunk.

8 Likes

some good stuff in there, some weird stuff too :grin:

1 Like

Make what you like, not what you think other people will like. It’s mostly luck if your music resonates with other people in any way. Unless of course you’re trying to make pop music—then just follow The Manual.

7 Likes

mine is more of a technical thing… don’t quantize

5 Likes

Or Sam!

If a sound is always present, it’s not really present.

11 Likes

I recently had a bout of tinnitus that shocked me. It lasted in some degree for days. I haven’t touched an instrument since! I blame the resonance on the Monomachine!

I’ve decided that I’ll be doing no more music late at night with headphones on… I’m going to have to take my ear care more seriously…

1 Like

From someone who’s had tinnitus on and off for most of their adult life, and constant nonstop tinnitus for the last few years, yes - please take care of your ears.

7 Likes

The one thing I’ve kind of stuck with over the years is to really spend tome with the tools you have, especially one-on-one if possible, and to really only purchase or introduce one new instrument at a time.

I think intimately knowing your gear especially when it comes to synthesizers, sequencers, and such, goes a lot farther than just throwing money at a bunch of gear and hoping for the best.

I’ve broken this rule from time to time, and I always feel like I know and understand those instruments less than the gear I sat with for a few weeks or even months by themselves and learned all the ins and outs.

6 Likes

My ears used to start hurting when i used the Yamaha FS1R Strange synth…

1 Like

Use good samples was some straight up advise i remember…From a professional.haha

2 Likes

I mentioned the Monomachine but it’s less the machines fault and more that I was using it recently with high resonance settings for experimentation :grimacing:

how can less be more? more is more!

fuck it, venom

Make a shitton of tracks.

9 Likes

Don’t buy too much gear, it stops you actually writing music*.

(* unless you don’t care, in which case go for it!)

6 Likes
  • never expect that your family or friends think your music is good or interesting at all
  • make tracks
  • you don’t need this or that synth, it’s an illusion
13 Likes

Just lock yourself up for a good month and produce every day and don’t take any calls!!! :joy:

3 Likes

Best advice I ever got:
Play/write for the song.
Translation, if the song needs a simple bass line, play a simple bass line. If the drums need to be complicated, play them complicated. Aka, play for the song, not for your ego. At time it feels like you need to prove how good you are when playing/writing, but it almost always sounds forced that way.

12 Likes

More cowbell.

12 Likes