What is the Best Musical Advice You've Ever Gotten?

Wake up, mods, and prepare for another round of the music theory flame wars! @vaporlanes thanks for your interesting post.

I think the distinctions between “new” and “not new” music need some unpacking.

Sample-based workflows can produce an endless stream of, arguably, “new” music. On the other hand, is there anything really new about the novel replacement of one sample for another? Do we ever mistake “novel” for “new”?

Two nuns, a penguin, a man with a parrot on his shoulder, and a giraffe walk into a bar. The bartender says, “What is this? Some kind of joke?”.

12-tone serial composers reacted to the notion that Romanticism had pretty much run itself dry. So they imposed a new system on their composition. The results, according to the opinion of one of my music professors, was a big waste of talent.

Mozart, as an adolescent, had the extraordinary ability to mimic current music styles. His adolescent musical output, imo, is not so interesting. His musical ideas matured as he got older. Did Mozart realize, one day, that music theory rules were holding him back? Would he have been a better composer had he, from day-one, said screw-it with convention?

I think the emphasis on “new” music is strong within this community because most of us are working alone, trying to record some tracks. As opposed to playing live with others. For musicians playing in ensembles, I think there is less emphasis on doing “new” things, and more emphasis on the performance, the ensemble, the connection between the players.

5 Likes

The most directly applicable advice regarding playing music I ever got is not musical in nature. It goes like this: “Get the fuck off the stage”. This was not said after my smokin’ hot set as I was dawdling about on stage carefully winding up individual wires and soaking up the glorious praise from my legions of adoring fans whilst all my bulky gear sat there in everyone’s way. It was said before I ever played a gig. I chose these words of wisdom as ones to live by and they’ve never failed me. One is very likely to make more musical friends and receive more future gig offers by simply getting OUT OF THE WAY than through any other means. Go ahead and create/play the world’s most amazing music ever heard by human ears. If you fuck up the schedule of the whole night by wasting people’s time after you’re done there is an incredibly solid likelihood that you will be offered less gigs than the barely better than mediocre dude who knows how to act professional. And if you’re on last this advice still applies. Good luck at your next gig at this venue if the soundguy thinks you’re a big dipshit. Clear the real estate first, then wind up your wires and talk to people.

Two other big ones have been mentioned multiple times in here but I’ll reiterate because they’re important.

“Perfect is the enemy of good”. Perfectionism is pretty much the ultimate happiness killer in art of any kind.

“Inspiration finds you working”. Don’t avoid doing the thing if you’re not feeling inspired. Do the thing anyway and you’ll probably find something inspiring going on.

All very basic but also very easy to lose sight of when in a moment.

6 Likes

Practice Improvisation

Mistakes can be good

Don’t like your songs just because you made them

Use limitations to leverage your creativity

4 Likes

Don’t give up your day job… lolol. :cry:

2 Likes

„Mistakes can be good“ reminds me a bit of „happy accidents“ (originally by Bob Ross)

1 Like

Definitely another way to say happy accidents.
What it reminds me of the most is creating a track in a whirl wind of inspiration. Later thinking I should try to re-record it. I’ll play everything perfectly and we’ll rehearsed, but it never has the secret sauce the sketchiness had.

3 Likes

“If you make a mistake, repeat the mistake so it sounds like you meant to do it.”

Good drum solo advice.

5 Likes

Old quote but in my experience it’s the other way around for dance orientated music. The adrenaline and excitement will make you move too quickly through material and the crowd will not get a chance to feel the groove. So slow down a bit.

With live modular drone music though… :wink:

4 Likes

If you dont eat your meat you cant have any pudding used by Pink Floyd in the wall by the schoolteacher. Its actually true. How can you be any good at writing music if you dont learn the basics first.

…yup…old rules don’t apply that much anymore these days…

since no matter how excited u, as the performer might be, u better have even more and kind of constant extra excitement elements going on in ur whatsoever dance music arrangements, if u really wanna please the new kids hard out there…

one big drop after the other and here it comes… the next riser…all for ur entertainment only…so u better CLAP! UR! HANDS!..
claps are where the kik was, if ur breaking…no worries, u can’t miss the drop…it’s all uberobvious…have funnnnnnn…

Maybe not literal advice, but something which greatly influenced the way I make and listen to music:

My father (who worked in music) always despised the kind of music he called ‘nothing-is-going-on’ music: the type of songs which are just there, nice to relax to, but made lacking any real message, meaning, emotion, tension or ideas. The ones he disliked most were the ones played by really gifted musicians. A lot of recent jazz is like this. Of course there’s a place for this type of music, and it might be very good technically and might even be really profitable (spotify playlists) but it’s certainly not the type of music I want to make.

A recent genre of music which greatly suffers from this is lofi hiphop: this started out as an experimental counter-subculture of hiphop with great innovative producers like madlib, dilla and Ras G who rebelled against the overly hifi, slick and commercial sound of hiphop, It has now turned into mostly ‘nothings-going-on’ music which is about relaxing, and has become a complete cliche.

5 Likes

I’m not sure Dilla and Madlib deserve to be in the same paragraph as lo-fi beats to study slash relax to :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

In any case, I definitely have a place for background music with the right vibe, when I’m working and don’t want the distraction of something that draws me in

2 Likes

There are parties like that sure and that’s DJing mostly. There are also a lot of underground or just other parties where this is not the case at all. It’s also completely the opposite of the point I was making which was aimed at live performing / improvising :slight_smile: . You said 8 bars for you is 16 bars for the audience. But it’s often the other way around because of the adrenaline and anticipation to perform live. Stress etc. So most often slowing down a bit in your mind is better for the audience. This has nothing to do with “kids these days”.

5 Likes

Yeah agree, they wouldn’t want to be put in the same category and don’t deserve to, but they were the godfathers of the sound which (sadly) turned into lofi hiphop as we know it now.

I worked as an assistant-producer to a well renowned producer in the early 00s. Part of the role was going to gigs with him to check out bands that labels were wanting him to produce.
The key thing he described to me when evaluating bands/music was ‘what is the ‘why’?’.
Reminded me of what you said your dad said.
The point is that there has to be a valid point, otherwise it’s pointless. That’s where you find authenticity in music, and that’s what makes it connect.

With the modern capability to have music released instantly, there’s a massive wave of pointless music in the world… makes it harder to find gems than previously.

2 Likes

Your description is way better than mine! The core thing is exactly that: there has to be a point to make it worthwhile, and this can be a lot of different things (a musical idea, a ‘sound’, a socio-political message, a genuine emotion or whatever), but it has to be there…

I think this is exactly what differenciates good music from mass produced or AI produced music which is so prominent in playlists these days as described in the thread about fake artists on spotify.

By the way: this very much relates to Adorno & Horkheimers work on the culture industry and the difference between art and mass produced entertainment:

5 Likes

…a bit nitpicking meets missunderstanding…no worries, i’m aware of the different occasions, styles and ways of “party” levels, venues and line ups…
and ur missing my main point in that same advice…and those are THE main essentials of all good advice…never rush…take ur time…
right balance is key…
while u, as a “live” act, always have to “compete” with dj’s, whatever kind of party ur hitting…

Wisdom from a guitar player. While producing, listen to your track from start to finish. Repeatedly. If you don’t want to sit through it, why would anyone else? I learned this the hard way about a 7 minute tune I trotted out on a gig (spoiler: it was way too long)

This helps you to be honest with yourself about what parts drag a bit. If I get bored by something, I find a way to cut it. Downside: Once I’ve listened to the track that many times through the arrangement and mixing stages, I’ve typically lost all perspective of “Is this a good idea or interesting?” No solution to that yet :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

From a music coach (double bass) many years ago, as we were working on a chart–tune didn’t really matter, happened to be the standard, ‘Autumn Leaves’…

Stop. Let’s just sing the tune. Good. Now let’s just play the melody. Good. Now sing it again, and accompany yourself with your bass part… Ah, now you’re playing something. Do that for any tune.

I’ve been doing my best to heed that advice for > 25 years.

4 Likes