What is the Best Musical Advice You've Ever Gotten?

Good friend of mine who works in animation said “Nothing is precious”. That bass line that was recorded with a mini moog but doesn’t work? Delete it and try something different. That drum pattern than you spent an hour programming and another hour trying to make it work with the song? Time lost, forget it, delete and don’t dwell on it. I delete entire songs that aren’t working out just to move on to the next.

Same goes for tape, new guitar strings etc. The end result is more valuable than the cost of tape. Supplies aren’t precious, just use em.

11 Likes

I do animation.
I often take what I get out of critique sessions and apply that philosophy to music.

I also see tons of animators struggle with the same ideas as I have making music.
Like thinking just because I put in a lot of work, it must be it good.

At some point I try to look at any of my creations as if someone else made them and ask myself if I would still like it.

4 Likes

“The best drum machine is the one in front of you”

6 Likes

When performing, always operate below your actual skill level. Taking it easy and putting on a good show is much better than showing off virtuosity with a stern face… People notice when you’re stressed out, and that’s not what they are attending a performance for.

8 Likes

Well not 100% true, I would rephrase: „you always take the best drum machine to put in front of you because there are all of them in your collection“.

never got any good advice! imm not a successful musician. my highest played track all time is a clyp sound demo on this forum

1 Like

A variation on these…

Play back your song (or just melody) at 2x, and see if the tune is obviously lame. Simple descending triads or worse.
Then improve it.

1 Like

Ok Moby.

1 Like

One idea that has been popping around in my head is how important it is to be connected to the music you are making.

I had a jazz guitar teacher once that was trying to impress upon me the importance of singing your guitar lines. He basically said, if you can’t sing it, you aren’t going to be able to play it. That really didn’t sink in fully at the time, but I’ve taken this with me to my flute studies, and I’ve found it so true, not just for knowing what notes to play, but for the accents and the rhythm. It’s become the way I approach learning any new piece of music, and maybe the only way I know to learn a piece of music.

That same jazz guitar teacher also basically said that conversely the key to writing good lines is writing things that can be sung. He said if something can’t be easily sung, people will never remember it, so it won’t be a memorable piece of music. I’m trying to take this more onboard now.

Along those lines, another great piece of advice I got from a composer I took some private lessons with was the importance of never repeating anything “exactly” more than once. He said the second time people hear it they will still connect with it, but by the third time they know what to expect so will be boring and beyond that it’s over.

For electronic groove music that is often repeated, we may not be doing any complicated song structures, but at the very least I think you have to throw your listener some new element or remove an element or something. I think “Same Beat” by the JBs is not just the template for modern groove music, but is a master class in keeping things interesting. I think failing to do this is what makes so much instrumental hip hop and beats music incredibly boring.

The other thing that got me thinking about the “importance of feeling the music you are creating” was in Yusef Lateef’s autobiography that I just finished the other day. He was talking about visiting Nigeria as part of his work to help preserve and document local music, and he was saying that one person he met said his drum teacher wouldn’t let his students touch drums until they learned to dance. It made me think about how many of my favorite hip hop producers were DJs before they started making their own music.

When I think back to how hard I struggled when I got my first groove boxes, I think it all came down to me thinking that somehow it wasn’t important to know anything about “music theory” (not sure that’s the right term here as I’m not talking about it in the purely academic sense) to make electronic/hip hop music. I don’t think I gave a lot of the creators of my favorite music enough credit for how skilled, knowledgeable, and in tune with their music that they were.

15 Likes

First - Garbage in, garbage out.

Second - Make a melody lead with only three notes. Only add more when they’re absolutely needed.

7 Likes

You sound like a SP 404 MKII

5 Likes

just sold mine recently… but that’s what I miss about it

1 Like

Don’t worry, just hit that skip back button and you’ll be back in business.

3 Likes

The most talented practice many hours everyday.

3 Likes

Ride it hard, put it away wet.

I suspect you are on the horny frequency these days with your recent posts.

I have sworn celibacy.

1 Like

I did that when my twins were born.

4 Likes

Also this is one of my favorite music reads ever, so worth sticking here as well.

3 Likes

I remember I read somwhere that one should feel the kick in the chest and the bass in the guts. It always made a lot of sense to me as a mixing advice and something I’ll always remember

4 Likes