What is the Best Musical Advice You've Ever Gotten?

“Don’t get into gear” …

Haha, I did not listen though!

2 Likes

This remind me sometihng I read online, about eurorack users that start patching giving theirself specifical rules and limits (use only some modules etc…). This seems to be a good way to push creativity and learning the gear. I play a lot my eurorack system, but never tried to give some hard rules… I’ll give a try!

2 Likes

“On that video, when the par cans come on you can see that you’re starting to bald under all that hair. It isn’t a good look for the guitarist in a [late 80s/early 90s shoegazey guitar] band that spends its time on stage with heads draped low over their instruments. Get a proper job where that doesnt matter.” Or words to that effect.

1 Like

this is very true, I often think about it myself. I used to work months or years for some releases when I played in bands and when I started out making music on my own. With most albums I really love, I know that there was put in a lot of time and attention to detail.
I know there is a lot of stuff that sounds overproduced and there is something refreshing in hearing or recording jams, but often, the extra bit of quality is only achieved with time and effort.
Since I have a youtube and instagram channel I post a lot of stuff, that I usually would categorize as unfinished.
I often think I just should release stuff where I’m really convinced that it’s good and keep the rest to myself. More quality control so to say :slight_smile: But since it’s so easy to share stuff these days, it’s hard to resist to show what you do to others frequently.

1 Like

Bit harsh!

You should have said, “dear brother, don’t beat around the bush, tell me what you really mean!” :laughing:

1 Like

@LyingDalai I just had a thought, is your brother Tom?

:laughing:

5 Likes

I took it as follow through with your vision however unpopular, but I guess that context was lost in my post… at any rate this is an advice thread :slight_smile:

Every musician has a Brother Tom :slight_smile:

3 Likes

it’s a contextual thing, about not allowing your vision to be swayed until you at least follow through with it… I probably should have worded it differently but if it had meant what a couple of ya think this thread would prob not exist.

1 Like

Ok it makes more sense to perhaps not seek advice or opinion when in the process of creating. Although I definitely think advice from the ‘right people’ at some point is usually valuable. By the way - the Brian Eno ‘Oblique Strategies’ cards are very helpful in the studio I find! Should be on everyone’s shelf I reckon :slight_smile: They are great for getting you to take a moment to think about things from a different angle.

2 Likes

Define “good”.

1 Like
  1. Translated in my own words: Conviction. Cause if you don’t make music that you believe in yourself, how do you expect others to. (This is not about being insecure or not. It’s about following your gut and being truthful to what you feel like making)

2. Rule 8. Don’t try to create and analyse at the same time. They are different processes. (John Cage)

1. When in doubt: more reverb.
2 Likes

To me it’s a good advise. Whatever you definition of good, it’s about following your ears instead of recipes or what others tell you how you should do something

2 Likes

Try not to get too drunk.

8 Likes

some good stuff in there, some weird stuff too :grin:

1 Like

Make what you like, not what you think other people will like. It’s mostly luck if your music resonates with other people in any way. Unless of course you’re trying to make pop music—then just follow The Manual.

7 Likes

mine is more of a technical thing… don’t quantize

5 Likes

Or Sam!

If a sound is always present, it’s not really present.

11 Likes

I recently had a bout of tinnitus that shocked me. It lasted in some degree for days. I haven’t touched an instrument since! I blame the resonance on the Monomachine!

I’ve decided that I’ll be doing no more music late at night with headphones on… I’m going to have to take my ear care more seriously…

1 Like