What gear/synths have you spilled coffee on!?

Killed an HP Elitebook from work with 0,5l of whey drink a few years back. Even worse, totalled a 15“ MBP by catching the end of a USB cable between the keyboard and the screen of a 15“ MBP. Luckily also a work machine.

drink the fucker first!

2 Likes

Personally never but my young niece spilled coffee on her Macbook air and then put it in a cupboard for three months.

When I visited she asked me to take a look. I managed to repair it getting away with just a new battery (plus hours of cleaning components and connections).

Spilled coffee on an iBook and the L and M didn’t work anymore. Not the end of the world but how annoying!!

I’ve spilled beer on my bass, pedals, amps and probably every piece of gear I use in a band context. As far as synths go none yet, as I’m not usually drunk at home when playing them & keep my drink far away from my synths.

…since any liquids are deadly for any electronic devices, i have no tales to tell…

but dust and tobacco crums and ash leftovers are all over the place here…

some of u guys would suffer an immediate heart attack if u could see my studio and my swedish gear in particular…promise… :wink:

1 Like

the first piece of non-guitar gear i bought was a used SP-303 off ebay. Whoever had it before must have smoked blunts or flavoured tobacco around it constantly, but it was the nicest smell ever.

i wish it still had that sweet aroma, or even worked at all!

the literal gateway drug

I’ve never even tasted coffee (which in Finland basically means treason. Finns sure love their coffee.)

Once I destroyed an Apple Keyboard by opening a bottle of Dr. Pepper in it’s near vicinity and it exploded and foamed like crazy (what is it with Dr. Pepper that makes it do that? None of the other soft drinks ever explode.) I took the keyboard apart and dried it and cleaned it etc. but it never worked properly again. You pressed one key and it gave you two different letters on the screen. Kept it around for years until finally binned it when we moved our studio.

I almost always have a soft drink or a beer with me when I tinker with my synths but I’m very very careful not to spill anything ever. I used to dj for almost 20 years and it never ceased to amaze me how people treated the dj gear in the club. The turntables and mixers had so much beer and cider spilt on them it’s a wonder they worked at all. No matter how shitfaced I got, I never ever spilt beer on the gear. Some respect for the club’s property damned!

1 Like

None, thank goodness!

I’m with @darenager , no comestibles around the gear. :wink: :+1:t6:

I spilled a glass of paint water into a vintage deluxe big muff guitar pedal that i had left open once, still works.

I still keep drinks on the desk, but on the side opposite all the hardware. Decksavers on the Elektrons are a lifesaver

Sounds like you need to skin up a few blunts.

Only misshap was red wine in the key bed of an Arturia microbrute, it would take me 10 attempts to start the unit before the spillage, so trying to get Arturia to replace the unit under warranty was near impossible after there was red wine stains in the white felt in the key bed…

But they did agree to send out a replacement main board which solved the problem…

It appears that i didn’t learn and have become complacent once again, i often take water, wine and coffee into my studio…its an accident waiting to happen, I think i will spend some time today making a small side table that is lower than all my gear, with the sole purpose of food and drink…

2 Likes

unfortunately i can’t stand weed! i’ll have to stick to blowing juul smoke into my machinedrum

1 Like

haha. sounds like my entire life for the last 4.5 years :slightly_smiling_face: :cry:

2 Likes

I once spilt an entire Pot Noodle on a Boss ME50 (MultiFX pedal). Left it upside down to drain, then wiped it down and it still works fine.

Another time I left it in my bag propped against the wheel of a tour-van while we were packing it and forgot. No-one else noticed and we set off…
The van immediately ground to a halt and we had to reverse to get the bag and pedal out from under the wheel.

It STILL works absolutely fine, although it is now slightly curved in the middle.
I will never have anything but praise for Boss’ build quality.

1 Like

I once poured an entire glass of red wine into a brand new (3 days from purchase) macbook during a recording session. I dried it out and it worked for 5 months, but apparently the acid slowly corroded everything inside and eventually it died.

Something very similar a few weeks ago

1 Like

Not coffee but soda on macbook pro a few years ago on new years eve. Dried it and it worked fine but randomly had to reinstall OS two times due to it crashing lol. Lost some projects to it
And the keys got sticky, during winter they were kinda stuck and slowly got back up but during summer time they were just mushy but workable haha