What gear/synths have you spilled coffee on!?

I just spilled on my micro freak. Just the keys so it survived…

Macbook, died.

1 Like

Nothing, ever. Never have drinks around my gear.

9 Likes

nuffink never :crossed_fingers:

Coffee: little splashes on probably everything I own, broke my push in the process.
Water: full spills on everything, luckily nothing has ever broken because of water.

I really need to get a side table for my beverages.

Needless to say I’m very clumsy, luckily I’ve never had a big spill of a sugary drink like wine, a cocktail, or beer on anything (yet).

Spilled wine on my first OTmk1, the unit developed sticky buttons until I rinsed them with isopropyl alcohol. It worked fine afterward, but I would not want that happening again.

1 Like

None. I keep any liquids away from my hardware, something I learned a long time ago from watching others have such disasters.

I used to run a software development group at a game company, and one of the programmers kept spilling coffee or soda on his open-lidded hardware. We kept having to buy replacement motherboards and expensive dev kits, no matter how many times I warned him NOT to do this.

He was eventually fired for other reasons, but still related to his poor impulse control. On the plus side, our hardware budget stopped being periodically hit by his screw ups. :slight_smile:

O gosh! Happy you solved it!

No spilled coffee for me, but if you’re gigging, watch out for kids drinking those new cheapo gas-station fruity beers - they have lots of syrup and gooey ingredients that dry like super glue, and it eats through stuff.

1 Like

I have never spilled a drink on a machine. People frequently comment on it when I stream or post videos and there’s a beer in shot. Bottles and slim glasses, I can understand, but I wonder how clumsy you must need to be to knock over a tulip glass…

launchpad.
instantly turned it upside down, so the liquid did not get inside.

Cup of tea in my Macbook. Dead. Lucky insurance paid out

No big spills and no damage with liquids, thankfully (and i’ve been djing 30 years and making music on and off for 25).

I have damaged headphone ports of gear and headphones through trying to leave areas/rooms with my headphones wrapped around my neck with the jack still plugged in though. Expensive mistakes to make.

2 Likes

A friend of mine spilled quite a bit of beer into the air vent of my pretty nice Yamaha 5.1 home theater amp. Thankfully it had plenty of internal protection and after it dried out it worked fine. I’ve had it for 17 years and this is half way through that time approximately.

Glass of tonic wine in a brand new laptop. Immediately pulled battery and rinsed it under the sink. Had to replace keyboard but the laptop is still trucking (ThinkPad).

1 Like

me? I have not x-ed fingers. But the best one I’ve seen: guy spills coke into keyboard connected to an Apple Quadra - because we are a tech dept, he borrows a heat gun from the engineers to ‘dry it out’ and proceeds to weld the plastic keys together.

Not as spectacular as sprinklers going off on a live lighting rig but I choose the smaller disaster.

1 Like

About to have another evening session with the micro freak again but man can’t do it without the tea… side table is the thing right!?

iPhone slid off the sofa and into a full cup of coffee last year. Was busy being pissed off at Brexit on the news so didn’t notice for at least 5 minutes.
No way back from that!

5 Likes

I bought an Akai MiniAK that worked fine but was truly disgusting with somebody else’s coffee. I had to take it all apart and clean it with alcohol. But it cleaned up really well, good build on those. But blecchh what a job.

I heard from a friend that used to repair stereos that once he got a tape deck that didn’t work because it was solid jammed with roaches.

Export Guinness into Machinedrum. Sticky stuff that when left overnight!

Rum into Digitone Keys.

Everything onto my guitars. all sorts.

. I like opening up my synths and stuff if I have a real reason to… have a probe about and clean them… The old stuff is the best - find some real mess in that stuff… my SH-101 had loads of sand and bits of grass and straw in it!

Just wear and tear ain’t it

Enjoy soldering and fixing up.

1 Like