Food and Drink and Electronic gear dont mix well together

What a disaster. I guess most of us have done it.

My list of spilt food
Tomato ketchup that i squeezed out of a blocked tube on chips went everywhere
Beer(of course). Somebody pushed me
Coffee. Too much and the jitters.
Thankfully it ended well. But others maybe not? Would like to hear of a few tales :smiley:

1 Like

I was about to do a gig with my old band Kloudbreak in a club in Bristol, really excited, setting everything up and checking the levels, people waiting, awesome, ready to start. Asked one of the headliners to pass me a cable but he knocked my beer right over the keyboard of a MacBook Pro, pure raging. Turned the MacBook upside down to dry out and ran upstairs to tell the next guy to get onstage early because we can’t play. Explained what happened, the beer-knocker came up, heard me tell the story, then he got super aggressive with me, right up in my face, about to punch me until I eventually said, ‘Look, I know what I saw, but it was an accident, I don’t expect you to pay for it or anything’. That chilled him out. I think he was super worried about owing 2k or something haha. What a weird night. Laptop worked for a bit after that then slowly ground to a halt six months later once everything inside got corroded or whatever. Moral of the story. Don’t keep your beer next to your gear, kids!

8 Likes

Back in te 80s. I was a DJ. I went and did a gig at a Rugby club. Short story my amp starting playing up big time. I couldnt play anything without loud cracks of explosion. The beer swilling rugby players got angrier andangrier. The alcohol literally started flying as they said i wasnt going to be paid and they wanted a refund. My turnatables were awash with Kronenburg. But me being me took the whole angry mob on. I lost out and my gear was trashed. But i had my dignity. True story. :grimacing:

6 Likes

Beer on my first synth ever, the MD

All went well

1 Like

Damn :grimacing:

1 Like

Craig i dont know how you refrained. Seriously i wouldnt be so nice. :confounded: If it was a pure accident maybe. Or was he just clumsy. Maybe i would have let it go.

1 Like

Fun fact: I’ve never been in a fight my whole life. I don’t see the point. I didn’t care about the laptop. I was just annoyed I couldn’t play that night :joy:

4 Likes

Never say never :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You want some??!! :joy:

12 Likes

lol okay outside now. Just you and me :rofl:

6 Likes

I spilled a glass of Coke into the Moog Little Phatty. I switched it off and left it untouched for two weeks. Then I dis-assembled it and cleaned all parts. Put it back together and it worked!

3 Likes

Coke man. Thats sticky stuff. Was it diet coke?

Most memorable one was a girl with a full drink in her hand falling over the gear table, the table was inundated. The live set was over, the club wasn’t so happy, but the gear and the girl survived.

Another time I wasn’t so lucky, the guitarist i was recording managed to knock her beer into my laptop, immediately unusable. We are still friends.

2 Likes

I’ve luckily never had such incident happen. Closest I’ve come was accidentally knocking over a beer while setting up my OT at a gig, but it spilled in the opposite direction, and didn’t get on any gear.

I frequently use my gear with a glass of beer/other beverage nearby, and when I’m streaming people always bring it up. I’m a very careful person and have never knocked over a glass of beer. Bottles, yes, but a pint/tulip glass is harder to tip!

2 Likes

…no one’s placing drinks next to any of my equipment…
…no one’s reaching a drink over across my equipment…
…not me, not any technician, no stage hand, no fellow musician…never…ever…
that’s no hard lesson to learn…that’s an obvious basic rule…
the first law of all electric epic fails…

…last wise words from a dusty smoker studio…

6 Likes

Im a wine guy, and this makes peoples ptsd kick in…but my wine is as precious as my synths and i have never spilled a drop.

You can even see in this pic that the glass is hanging off the edge a little…but dont worry the drunker i get the more empty the glass is…

16 Likes

Classy!

1 Like

Well, it is the only place you can put the glass :laughing:

8 Likes

This reminds me of a little story. 2 friends of mine used to DJ exclusively with vinyl for the last 15 years, they retired last year.

They would also have an old laptop on stage, sometimes 2. They were just there as a decoy. When the crowd was getting into it … and not many people were still sober they knocked one off the laptops down, … spilled beer on it or used it as an ashtray. Those faces in the public, hahahaha! If somebody dared to ask for a track to be played they gave him/her a dead laptop, or phone, or just a lollypop … .

3 Likes

A Korg synth of mine was not so lucky years ago…some unsteady joker (band member) with a pint of coke at a gig. It never recovered. A part from suplphuric acid it’s up there with the worst things you can poor onto electronics!. You were lucky with the Moog:-)

2 Likes