What does it mean? What does it mean to you?

What’s your favorite band? I am not Norwegian either but I have strong ties to the country and have toured/vacationed there.

2 Likes

Sleepside is the title of a short story collection by Greg Bear (most famous for writing “Blood Music” and “Darwin’s Radio”). Not all of the stories work for me, but the title was incredibly evocative.

Sleepside Metro, my artist name, is an extension of that, plus an unfinished idea for a fictional metropolitan area based on Atlanta. I was going to call myself Sleepside OTP, but decided that was too local a reference

4 Likes

Thank you, that’s very kind. Things are improving slowly.
Been here before so I do know that it’s not forever.

7 Likes

My username is a random thing that a friend said when we were in high school — we were standing around coming up with stupid band names, making each other laugh, and he suggested Your Lamp. I don’t know why it stuck with me all these years but it’s just such a dumb thing to call a band I could never forget it. Now I kind of like it.

14 Likes

Definitely has a vice city quality to it, now that you mentioned it. I know that wasn’t your intention, and I never played any of those games much but that’s what comes to mind.

1 Like

Mine came from my first ever gig in the late 90s. Guy who booked me worked in a skate shop and got mixed up and thought my name was nik muzka and printed all the flyers and posters with it. I called in the next day to tell him that’s not my surname and he said he got it mixed up with the skater chad muska who was in an interview he had been reading and had stuck in his head. He liked to drink a lot

My next gig someone else used it because it was on the last flyer and it just stuck from there. To the point most people I meet just think it’s my real name

So no clever alternative meanings or anything, just a mistake that I went with

13 Likes

mine just my dj name i want

1 Like

Smashing pumpkins fan here :wink:

2 Likes

When you said “late 90’s” I already knew where the story was going and it was pure gold when the punchline hit.

2 Likes

My name is David, but only my bosses at work call me that.
Most people call me Dave.
Old friends and family call me Dava…

That’s it (almost…)

I originally signed up on here as Kusalamati, which is a name I took upon Buddhist ordination. As time drew on, I became less interested in putting this “out there” and largely withdrew from the outer trappings of Buddhism, including the use of my name (except among compadres who know me as such).

2 Likes

Sleepyhead/Sleepy became my artist name after sleeping through one of the biggest chances of my musical career.

It was back in 2011 when one of my favorite rap artists performed in my city. He is now one of the most famous rappers of all time but back then he was just starting out.

I ran a small studio with a couple of friends, whom were both on vacation at that moment. Someone we knew was the one that had booked said rap artist and he had the great idea to leave him at our studio for the day while waiting for the show which was at night. My friends told him they couldn’t open the door and he should call me, which he did, repeatedly throughout the morning. I was however asleep until 14.00 (partied hard the night before) so they went somewhere else…

10 Likes

These are fantastic and di-atomically opposed responses! I’m super interested in peoples stories that are being shared, thank you!

I like it better without the artists name! he isn’t trying to name drop, he is lampooning his own lethargia, that’s what makes it great!

3 Likes

That story definitely needs the artists name lol

2 Likes

I’m Norwegian, and I was just thinking about that second part of your name :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It means one of the top 100 of the names i choose about 15’years ago were already taken on the WWW as a both a username and domainname and this came up available. Now i have to make up a nice meaning to this name instead of the name has a meaning of it’a own.

4 Likes

better than tubefund65942! :okej:

1 Like

Mine stems from a conversation about the Quantum Leap episode “Man of La Mancha” where someone misheard Don Quixote.

It sounded like it should be a Radiohead song title circa 2001 so I started using it as it’s handy to have a made up word for signing up to things.

9 Likes

Mine is deliberately constructed to have no inherent meaning. So that I shan’t be embarrassed about it’s meaning in several years time (as has happened before).

Would love to hear from @MurkyFreddery in this thread … really can’t figure that one out at all.

:wink:

3 Likes

I’m my uni days I once had a drunk conversation where we came to the conclusion that life is like a funky rhythm. It pushes, pulls, doesn’t always land on the beat, but it works and gets you grooving.

Plus, I just like funky rhythms. :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

i c what u did there :alien:

bibenu could also be an anagram for nubbie. got any nubs you want to tell us about?

1 Like