What do you wish you knew when you first started using the OT?

Working on it!

Since thereā€™s only four parts I find copying a base pattern and changing plocks is really powerful. You can jump between them and add scenes as well for continuity.

2 Likes

New owner here and it seems to me the OT is easier to learn than i was thinking.

1 Like

I have still yet to use Parts. I just copy a pattern and change it or use Scenesā€¦

I guess I have not wrapped my head around them yet.

Hey folks!
This is such a great thread to a new OT user - just got one today!

The OT will be the hub and master to my rytm and analog 4.

My goal is to have my rytm go into AB and my analog 4 into CDā€¦ would these be best as ā€œthrough machinesā€ on midi tracks 1 and 2?

Also I was thinking of putting the master on track 8 and to make a lot of different effects for the crossfader. Is this a hood setup for putting effects on the main outs of everything?

Does this make sense please? Thanks in advancešŸ˜Ž

The Rytm and Analog 4 would use THRU machines yes - but on the normal tracks, not the midi part tracks which just have midi data on them. That is, if you wanted to be able to run effects on them and trigs on them to slicer the input realtime. If you just want to mix them in, you can use DIR level and they wonā€™t even take up a track at all.

And yes if you want to put effects on ā€˜everythingā€™, you use Track 8 in MASTER mode. If you didnā€™t need that, thereā€™s an option to make it just like any other track.

1 Like
  1. To use mono files for most things as they loop betterā€”thereā€™s only 1 zero crossing to worry about on a mono file.
  2. That I should use the Midi side of the OT sooner - when I finally got round to that, my mind was blown - P-Locking the Arp FTW!!
3 Likes

thanks!
so rytm as sample track1
and analog4 as sample track2
both as through machines.
is this correct that effects will be on everything on track 8?

thanks again, very much appreciated.

Yes thatā€™s correct. And like I said with THRU machines you can also have separate pair of effects on the rytm vs the analog4 before even hitting the MASTER.

Technically you can have even more than that if you e.g. in that scenario use track3 as a NEIGHBOR machine, the A4 will go through the effects you set on both tracks 2 and 3.

2 Likes

wow cool. thanks!

Page + clear combo (I was turning encoders to default locations for more than year ) ā€¦ Somehow I forgot or skipped in manual, but when your track behavior is weird, clean the pages and check active sceneā€¦ Voila, it works.

2 Likes

knowing that i actually CAN copy and paste Scenes :smiley: for ages i tried to get the next scene close to the prior scene so that i can have a smooth transition between them. while reading the manual one day to find out how Pickup Machines work, i stumbled upon the Scene Chapter and read something like ā€œā€¦ copy and paste scenes to a new location ā€¦ā€ and i was like: WTF?! i CAN copy and paste scenes??? :blush:

4 Likes

As one ought to, Iā€™ve been preemptively poking through the manual and watching all the walk throughs, reviews and tutorials. Still, the sage wisdom of battle hardened elektronauts canā€™t be overstated.

Personally developed workflow tips? Anything casually mentioned in one sentence in the manual that you rediscovered later and changed your life? Writing philosophies youā€™ve found embedded in the hardware?

Anecdotally I just discovered kit/pattern/sequence saving on the DT which wasnā€™t a priority when I originally read the manual, and all the forum topics about using the same kit across multiple patterns never mentions sequence saving! Looking forward to having parts to get around this anyway.

Mainly looking for positive or neutral things. Iā€™ve read plenty of critique (and seen what it does to threads!) Thanks!

Congrats! (soon :slight_smile:)

Iā€™m using mine to record and compose guitar layers, so may not be the same use case butā€¦

I wish someone told me to NOT use record trigs and learn to use the OT without them first.

And to explore and embrace Parts, as they are one of the best things about the OT IMO.

Oh, and to take the time to get familiar with all the places gain is adjusted so that you can achieve unity gain for sampling. Itā€™s worth it :slight_smile:

FWIW - I documented my OT experience so far here: OT OTW (on the way)

3 Likes

Learn the structure:

4 parts per bank (of 16 patterns) parts are akin to kits or programs.

8 recorders are always available, independent from tracks and global per project.

128 flex slots and 128 static slots per project

Projects can (but donā€™t have to) contain multiple songs, within the limitations listed above.

Slots can have different settings per part, for example slot 1 could be different settings for the same sample across your project, but if you change the sample in slot 1 it will be reflected in all parts that use it.

Slice chains are a good way to have lots of shorter samples loaded into 1 slot, if 128 slots is not enough, there are lots if good creative uses for chains as well.

There are probably some other things I have missed but that is a good start.

3 Likes

Posts moved to existing thread. Always search the forum for existing discussions before starting a new thread! :thup:

2 Likes

Sync the project to the card before removing it

Oh yeah. And never get it wet, and never forget, no matter how much he cries, no matter how much he begs, never feed him after midnight

6 Likes

How to put it into ā€˜high quality modeā€™:

2 Likes

I had it for three years before I picked up a footswitch and fader box to go with it, and I REALLY wish I hadnā€™t waited so long.

1 Like

ā€¦only 128 slots to drop samplesā€¦!?..ahhhh, sample chains that contain lots of single samples at once per single slot changes the whole gameā€¦

partsā€¦!?..ahhhhhā€¦kitsā€¦

countless ways to romeā€¦stop botheringā€¦start flowingā€¦

apart from thatā€¦huuuuuhā€¦lotā€™s of muscle memory needed to grasp all the double feature functions all over the swedish ballparkā€¦takes timeā€¦but once u got itā€¦
itā€™s all klak klak zak zakā€¦

2 Likes