What do you wish you knew when you first started using the OT?

In my case I’d like to have Octachainer program which allows to easily create sample chains. I created many different sample chains (Kicks, Snairs, Hats, mixed drums, sfx, Basses, Pads, etc). As a result using slices I’m able to create the whole live set using only 8 samples in sound pool. Also keep in mind that when you lock sample chain file to specific trig you can still use slices on it via parameter locks.

Another useful thing – if you prepare your songs in DAW – don’t create many samples of i.e. 64 steps for each instrument in project – just create multi track of your instruments and just slice them in the project for needed parts. This allows to keep your sample pool clean and easy to use.

2 Likes

This thread is inspirational.

Anyone use analog4 and rytm into octatrack.

I was hoping to send midi project changes from octa to the other two machines - to change from one song to another. Is this the best way to transition - or should I transition one machine at a time?

That was going to be an addition of mine here. Great for sort of killswitch on/off type stuff while performing.

could you try to elaborate on this? trying to understand that very thing, rec trig compared to trig

I really miss my Octatrack, and in fact I’m considering selling my Rytm just so I can buy one back. I like the performance features of Rytm but miss how clean drums can sound on the Octatrack.
For drums, what features/techniques are available on Octatrack that act in a similar way to the Rytm’s scene and performance modes.

Wish id known i needed to know what the hell i was doing. Still do.
Wont sell mine for some reason but im kinda just using it as a glorified oneshot drum machine at the mo. Wasted i know - if i take the PC and ableton out of the equasion then id use it as the hardware hub i bought it for.

When I got the OT, I avoided getting a controller because I wanted to force my self to learn the OT as is.
I think the time has come to get a controller.

3 Likes

um, Scenes

3 Likes

I think it would help tremendously to not have any preconceived notions about how the OT works so you can just learn what it does and do it that way. Seems many a OT troubles are due to expecting the device to operate in a certain way or like some other device, and then trying to get it to work that way when it doesn’t…
The OT’s got its own way of doing things and won’t back down if you try to fight it, but if you go along with it’s ways it will be your friend and can take you very far…

1 Like

True. However the perf pads on the RTYM allow for more options due to combining them. Also, the rectangular layout makes them easier to keep sorted. (I miss the RYTM)(I just can see any way of fitting it’s sound into my set up)(but playing solo was superb)

There is a kind of ‘second stage’ experience however, where because you’ve spent a lot of time with trial and error learning, you get in the habit of putting all unexpected behavoiur down to your own user error. What you are actually encountering at this stage are mostly bugs!

It’s a super tricky piece of gear. A lot of things I thought were bugs I have deduced to a very logical behavior, but that behavior is not what one would expect.
Along with learning the things the OT does I also learn a bunch of things to avoid, it’s not an easy device to get along with and tons of stuff happens that you don’t want. I have learned to avoid these scenarios and have a project dialed in where I can jam for hours with no issues, again as long as I know what “not” to do…
I can see why some people would absolutely not want to work with an OT, I can even see how some people might think an OT just doesn’t work and is a terrible piece of gear, personally I love it… :ecstatic:

I use 1 Thru machine, and 3 Neighbor Tracks just to process my RYTM with crazy FX chains using Scenes.
It’s kind of amazing, but completely different feeling from RYTM’s perf/scenes mode.

I still feel like nobody has described the 10 or so trig types in a succinct video, especially the 4 playback trig types. It’s discussed in the manual however it’s easy for your eyes to glaze over at the description. I kind of want to make a quick video showing them but I don’t have a camera or anything i can use overhead.

The OT has lots of confirmed bugs. We could really do with a list of those from Elektron.

Forewarned is forearmed etc.

Learning the OT was time well spent, enjoyable. You can still produce worthwhile stuff while learning.

Running into bugs has eaten up a lot of my time, and has produced lots of unmusical ‘testing’ projects. For me the unexpected behaviours that can be ‘deduced to a very logical behaviour’ are now outnumbered by straight up bugs.

And then there are the behaviours that aren’t bugs and are not logical. Like - you’re working at pattern scale 64/64 and then switch to scale mode ‘per track’ and it sets the master to 16 so you have to go back through your tracks and extend them all again.

1 Like

If there’s not a list somewhere I’d be curious about your personal list.

2 Likes

Hmmm… where to start? :smiley_cat:

You and I could trade notes @Clancy :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

:slight_smile: I am actually very attached to this thing! It is an infinity box of future experiments. I know I’ll spend thousands of future hours using it - and I want them well spent.

2 Likes

Yeah, I did that with a track. Put my OT in chromatic mode and sent notes to change patterns on the MD while using different scenes to alter the FX on it. Pretty cool

Word, I understand being frustrated with OT, I’ve had many of epic jams turned into multi hour bug hunt/logic testing sessions. It’s by far the quirkiest piece of gear I have. Even so, as I go on, I dial in a project that avoids these issues and am so pleased with the musical results that the outcome for me personally far outweighs the troubles it’s given me. And with my current project it is very easy to use and gets me where I want to go without issue. The results for me are so rewarding that I’ve decided I’ll never sell my OT, meanwhile somebody probably wants to chuck it out the window… :wink:

2 Likes