What do you use the octatrack inputs for?

Hey fellow Elektronauts with multiple synths / dawless setups;

I was wondering, what do you use the A+B & C+D inputs on the octatrack for?

mono/polysynths?
or also you drum machine?

I guess it comes down to how you use it, and where the ‘scenes’ are best applicable too.

I have several synths, and I’m doubting I want to send my AR through it + one synth, or if I want to run 2 synths through the OT.

Curious to hear your opinions/experiences

Cheers!

Anything and everything

Yes. No. Both.

You’ll get a million different answers, will any of them be helpful? Who knows. Experiment, find out what works for you. There are no rules. Even if there are, fuckem.

10 Likes

Yep! I oftenly plug my guitar straight in, works well with bass. Also tried a dynamic mic. Noisy but usable.

Or…jacks only

INABCD Jacks sampling challenge :loopy:

Or nothing. Sample inputs to get evolving noise…

7 Likes

If you have a patchbay or mixer, consider plugging in your patchbay or aux sends from your mixer - very convenient if you can route any source to your OT for sampling, mangling, fx etc. This way I can also quickly spice up already recorded material, transitions or individual tracks with OTs capabilities.

I also have my AKs inputs hooked up to my patchbay. Quickly running drums from my DAW or OT through its analog stereo filters for a break or transition and capture that in my DAW or spice up a pad sound from a synth/I already have recorded into my DAW etc. I wouldn’t want to plug cables in out all the time, but with patchbay or mixer it’s super quick.

8 Likes

This is what I do - all my kit is hooked up to a Zed14 mixer and aux 1 & 2 feed OT input A & B.
The other two OT inputs are fed by the record out of my DJ mixer - I can sample vinyl, CD, the internet or anything else that makes sound from this route.

For a live setup I would use the inputs differently - I’d plug in whatever synths I decided to take - probably Access Virus, DSI Evolver and a 303.

7 Likes

I use those inputs to hold my cigarette whilst I play blistering solos :rofl:

I have the rytm in one set of inputs and then a stereo mix of all synths in the other inputs. This way I can process the drums and synths separately or together.

5 Likes

Some good info and anecdotes are usually lurking via search, as well.

Particularly in the replies to this thread:

7 Likes

Good suggestions!

1 Like

Me too! My OT gets two things coming in:

A&B: Sound from my Modular.
I’ve got two OT Flex tracks dedicated to track-recorders to record loops from the modular and quickly save&assign to Static samples list. When I record a loop that ends up part of a track, I change the OT track from recorder to static and choose the loop, save Kit et voila.

C: Mono aux coming from my mixer. I’ve got enough Auxes (6) so I have one always dedicated and routed to the OT. Everything and anything that comes in my mixer, including the fx returns, can thus be sent to OT for recording a loop:)

3 Likes

Recently gained this by getting the Zed14. Now 2x stereo fx returns can go to t he mains or channel strips. Great for recording ambience using space & microcosm.

2 Likes

Great idea, how many stereo sends/returns does the zed 14 have?

1 Like

You can also use a mixer as only audio source (noise, feedback).

6 Likes

@tendingtropic 2 pre-fader and 2 post fader - perfect!
@sezare56 I gotta try that!

1 Like

Does the guitar sound ok? No pre amp or anything? I’ve often wondered as I want a guitar.

Mp3 player with a 1/8 inch jack to 1/4 inch stereo splitter. Can sample off iphones/pods anything really.

1 Like

I recorded this with a passive guitar straight in just to prove it’s usable but I’d recommend at least a preamp. Cheapest solution : FET things (Tech 21 Sansamp clones). I paid my American Tone 25€.

1 Like

A field recorder. Can be used as stereo mic.

Hoping this is still on topic for you, but hey, you’re OP:) So:

Note that these ZEDs don’t have dedicated returns, like some other brands do. You have to use the regular mixer channels for returns. Which I do like anyways, cause I always prefer EQing the returns.

When still on the topic of mixers to route to OT: even more ideal are mixers with specific submixes. Especcially when tracks get muted when you route them to the submix. That way you can use the stereo submix to route to OT.

2 Likes

Yep, busses, sub groups.

Some Mackie mixers have alt 3/4 switch for instance. My Samson as a Mix B switch.

ST rtn & 2TRK rtn on the Zeds can function as dedicated returns, you can choose to send this signal straight to LR instead of down the channel strip, so dual function.

2 Likes