What are you reading right now/have you read lately?

I used to be very much into the crime story series around Harry Bosch. Since Corona i like to challenge my brain more and i am climbing down into the history of Germany. Currently reading about our last Kaiserreich from 1871 - 1915. Man, very interesting stuff to discover there.

2 Likes

Absolutely! Truly amazing work of literary art. Been a long time since I’ve read it but I remember it feeling like Steinbeck for a different time. Never understood why sometimes a great notion isn’t held in as high regard as some of his other works.

1 Like

I’m currently reading The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin. It’s an interesting take on epic fantasy and it’s quite enjoyable so far.

1 Like

Dude me too! It reminds me of East of Eden (one of my top ten books, maybe top 5?) except it’s so much more modern it’s just a real treat to read. I think I’m liking it more than East of Eden

Top 5 novels for me:
Brothers Karamazov
Anna Karenina
Infinite Jest
Lolita
The Stand? East of Eden? Count of Monte Cristo? Great Gatsby? Sometimes A Great Notion is slipping in here, though. I’m 1/3 of the way in and it’s not getting any worse.

I hear William Faulkner kind of writes like this, with narrations and characters weaving in and out–but I haven’t read any of his stuff. I might start Absolom Absolom after this.

2 Likes

Reading Mythos by Stephen Fry atm. I am in Greece the next 6 weeks so it’s a sweet fit.

Well put. That’s exactly what I was trying to get across. And I’m a huge Steinbeck fan in general. I had to read “winter of our discontent” as a punishment in middle school (weird, I know. They should have known better than to try to punish me with books) and Immediately after finishing it I went on a Steinbeck bender.
You should definitely try some Faulkner. That ones as good to start with as most. There are definitely some similarities but he has his own, very distinct style.

2 Likes

I need to read more Steinbeck. I read four or five of his books and just stopped and moved on to another author. I can always come back :slight_smile: I came back to Philip K. Dick–there’s always a LOT more where he came from.

I feel the same about Stephen King. I’ve only read two of his books but he’s definitely a really great author. When I want another “tome” I’ll probably read IT but after this book I want smaller, more digestible novels…

1 Like

Finished The Stand a few weeks ago, holy hell it was long… I just finished The Next Pandemic by Ali Khan, and Time of Contempt by Andrzej Sapkowski.

I just started Baptism of Fire, but I may need a quick palate cleanser and I’m not sure what that might be. I have Homo Deus and the last half of Dune on the docket, and those are definitely not it.

2 Likes

Philip K Dick was a genious! I try to find everything from him, but many of his Short stories are spread around and i never found out which one i missed.
He had a very deep insight in our world and i Love His melancholic view.
My alltime favourite author next to Kurt Vonnegut.

5 Likes

I’m about to start reading The Beastie Boys Book. I’ve had it a while, but a new bike and other distractions have put it on the back burner for now. My 2 favourite music related book are Pigs Might Fly about my favourite band and Freaky Dancin’ by Bez of the Happy Mondays for the humourous look at the Manchester Indie scene and start of the rave culture.

2 Likes

Was hyped to see Michael Moorecock and Angela Carter listed in people’s posts, two favorites of mine. I have been on a comics kick lately, just finished Federal Bureau of Physics yesterday and got caught up on Saga recently.

1 Like

If you like The Stand you should watch Lost if you havent already. The Stand was the biggest influence on that series and it shows…I like Lost more though lol

1 Like

I watched the first couple seasons and liked it, but after hearing how bad it went off the rails I kind of gave up on it.

This is next, I love the Drexciyan lore, so it was a no brainer.

2 Likes

Just reading through this list and I have to agree wholeheartedly about the Sprawl trilogy. Re-read Neuromancer last summer for the first time in 20 years and loved every page (well, the sex parts were a bit goofy). In fact, the DN set loaded on my YouTube channel is entitled “Lost in the Sprawl” because I was envisioning myself taking a night walk through Gibson’s urban vision.

As far as current reading, the last book I read was “Do Androids Dream…,” currently working through “Meditations,” and am about to begin “The Gulag Archipelago.”

Great thread!

4 Likes

finally got around to three body problem. finished the first book and my mind is blown. can’t wait to read the next two. thanks for the recommendation.

2 Likes

download (3)
I’ve always enjoyed Greek Mythology, and was needing a refresher. This one adds some humor to the retellings, and does a good job of covering all the etymology.

1 Like

download (2)
A prequel and alternate telling of Peter Pan. In this imagining we learn that Capt. Hook was Peter’s first companion, and also his favorite. We also learn that Peter is a psychotic, narcissistic, child kidnapping, murderer. Fun read, especially if you grew up loving the original.

4 Likes

download
Who doesn’t love The Princess Bride? A classic from the 80s that ended up becoming one of the most endured films in history. This one is a memoir by the actor Cary Elwes (Wesley from the movie), who retells his experiences with the making of the movie. I recommend the audiobook version of this one, as it’s narrated by Elwes himself, who perhaps has one of the best voices in humanities history. His memories, and impersonations of Andre The Giant are especially great.
download (1)
Always meant to read this series. Gunslingers, parallel worlds, sci-fi, and horror. What’s not to love.

4 Likes

Glad to hear! When I was reading it, I sucked in two office friends. It was our regular work conversation for about three months as we tried to only talk about things we’d all caught up to.

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts on the rest!

1 Like