What are you creating during quarantine?

I’ve started recording videos of my jams instead of just audio.
Will slowly but surely upgrade my Setup. :wink:

4 Likes

These are great!

Also glad to know other people jam standing up crouched over gear haha!

1 Like

Ugh. Yeah. That’s part of the much needed upgrade. My neck really does not like these sessions. Glad you do though! :wink: thanks!

1 Like

Work is destroying my mental health, Digitone is my savior lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Woah nice too see someone else with an acid box :package: :alien:

All the fings in the fridge!

Love this

1 Like

I’m creating my own DAW :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I’ve done this. hope u like it. It’s the very first thing I’ve recorded in 4 years or so…

4 Likes

:slight_smile: - thanks!

Couple of titbits:
The vocals are from this classic grime tune:

The section at 2:30 is inspired by Steve Reich’s tape phase pieces:

1 Like

Really into the beginning and end of this but the stereo hi-hats in the middle feel kind of off to me.

The last minute and a half is great and I’m particularly into the way the beats slam at the section from 0:41.

1 Like

Thanks a lot! :black_heart:Yes they’re off​:sweat_smile: I haven’t been able to get midi sync on the flanger on the NTS 1 cause i hadn’t any more cables! But really thank you! I’ll work on my timing and on my stereo image!:smirk_cat:

1 Like

Enjoyed this, thanks.

I feel you. I’m thankful and lucky at this time to be working from home (have been for years now) but man does it take its toll. I took a 4 day weekend and I’ve been more musically productive than I’ve been in my entire life.

1 Like

Thanks much! Just a work in progress but I’ve learned a lot lately and am going to turn it into a proper track with proper intro and builds and drops and such soon.

I haven’t got heaps around to creative output just yet, but there’s been heaps of exploring, clean up, and general organisation.

• Really enjoying a show on FX/Hulu called Devs - highly recommend peeps check it out. one of the better shows I’ve seen in ages. Last episode of the series is this week :slight_smile:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp9LMsI6uJ8

• Did a solid HD clean out, managed to claw back 300gb of space on my 512 after cleaning out apps, back up, and general minimising. Be sure to check your caches if on Mac OS. I had 40 gb of old adobe nothing files just chilling in there. now i’ve got a fresh HD ready to be filled with new creations

• restrung my guitars, first time in ages

• picked up a new interface, so stoked to finally have something nice after having a POS for years. being UA it came with the new Luna DAW. However, after a little experimentation, I was able to rekindle my love for Ableton which had been dwindling, this led me to

• more deeply explore some of the new features in Ableton 10. the new shortcuts for arrangement editing are worth it alone - its really a great set of new tools.

• full clean up of Ableton packs and file structure, favourites folders, removing duplicate M4L devices. shit i’ve wanted to get round to for ages.

• also discovered Patch.zone’s m4L devices, Survey is super cool, and with a bit of hacking can present some pretty gnarly set-wide control. i bought Scenery today also: https://patches.zone/max-for-live

• also pulled across all my old field recordings. looking to canvas the collection tomorrow and organise everything into folders, then rinse through Scenery.

• studio setup rejig

• The big takeaway for me in all this is a new appreciation for the timeline and for arrangement view. and a real feeling that everything is open, all the tools are there, creating new music is really now just a process of cracking out the paint and putting sound down on canvas. no inhibitions, really refocusing intention toward a layed out spread of sounds rather than little patterns and what not hidden around on boxes. time will tell i suppose. will see what the rest of this week brings before i have to go back to work from home ~ have really enjoyed this time off to get things back to where they needed to be
9 Likes

Adding to the Devs hype, Alex Garland is the man!

And I also had an Ableton revival, it always feels great when that happens :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like a neat desk arrangement! A painting or something like that would fit nicely on that wall.

Thanks for the hint for clearing the cache, I managed to free up some unused space too.

1 Like

I’ve fallen in love with Ableton recently, after years of GarageBand and Logic and BeatMaker 3. I’ve found the same thing — it’s just a great canvas for creating and then shaping.

I use the session view to capture audio from boxes/iPad apps, but then it all ends up in an arrangement.

I made my first track:

4 Likes

YES. That brings me back to my formative (big beat?) years.

1 Like