What am I missing about the popularity of some techno producers?

As I am writing this, I realize I might come off as ignorant or disrespectful, but I am just genuinely curios.

Among other genres, I like techno and listen to it often. Although I am am more into melodic, dubby techno, or sometimes techno-house.
Also, I am very fresh to the music creation, this is a new hobby for me (and I seem to be sticking to it, btw!). So I am definitely ignorant about many aspects of it. And I am willing to be corrected, and to learn.

A couple of days ago, I saw a post on Instagram from a very big techno scene account. They have a series where they introduce music producers, tell a bit about them, etc. And share their music.

I went and listened to the linked track. Itā€™s leaning into the minimal techno from 00ā€™s territory.

What struck me was that it was quite simpleā€¦ Not in the ā€œgenius simplicityā€ way - just simple and somehow boring even. I saw people make similar techno in Youtube tutorials in half an hour to teach general concepts.

I donā€™t want to be mean to that person (and so I am not going to share the track here), and donā€™t mean to downplay their talent. I seriously donā€™t.

I am just confused, because they seem to be relatively famous (play in big clubs across Europe, have 25k monthly listeners on Spotify etc), and the comment section on that Instagram post was full of excited comments. Hundreds of them.

So it must be me. What am I missing?

10 Likes

thereā€™s a certain degree of ā€œevery cigar tastes the sameā€ vs ā€œcigar aficionadoā€ that you have to account for in any long-lived scene where heritage is important.

a lot of it sounds the same to my ears, in all honesty. no hate though.

19 Likes

Was it Fadi Mohem?

2 Likes

What sounds quite simple on headphones or at home can sound perfect and just right in the club. Any change in the arrangement is magnified when listening on a club system. Also, tracks that are on the simpler side are easier / more conducive to DJs mixing them with other tracks. You might not be missing anything necessarily but it also might not be the right environment to listen to that kind of a track.

And yes, social media numbers donā€™t really mean anything. What is much more telling is how long they have actually been doing it for and how many times fans have seen them DJ or perform. That is much more indicative of a career than 25k social media fans.

17 Likes

Donā€™t use Social Media numbers as a proxy for anything important, such as talent or quality.

itā€™s exposition, and usually those accounts have to pay for that exposition as a mean to sell you something.

12 Likes

Was that JLeon?

https://www.instagram.com/jleonsarmiento/

Because that guy sucksā€¦ seriously, donā€™t even bother to like and subscribe. Never. Just Donā€™t.

11 Likes

Popularity and talent donā€™t always intersect. Personal taste doesnā€™t always intersect with either. Sample size that forms an opinion may also not be proportionate to any of the above.

There are DJs that pack festival stages with thousands and thousands of very enthusiastic people. Then you hear things from other DJs that theyā€™re really not that great a DJ. Some level of jealousy there may be part of it, others just arm-chair critics, but the fact is, people still flock to see some of them.

Could also be the circumstances while listening, contributing to the whole experience.

There are too many variables here to count.

Maybe it really isnā€™t all that great. Maybe you just donā€™t like it. Maybe other people are crazy to like it, or maybe thereā€™s more to it than that. Weā€™ll never really know. :smiley:

Luckily there are metric tons of variations on the genres out there, tons of different people making and playing the music, and one is completely free to like and dislike what they do, as itā€™s art, and art is subjective.

I wouldnā€™t worry too much about it, and enjoy what you enjoy.

This is always one of my examples of genius minimalism, maybe it will make you feel better. :wink:

20 Likes

Iā€™ve noticed something similar with reaction videos. A few months back, I started watching youtubers react to tracks and live videos of acts that Iā€™m familiar with. At first it was fun to see todayā€™s kids enjoy stuff that I enjoyed back in the '90s. After a few more videos, I noticed a pattern where the host would make comments about how much energy and passion artists put into the show, how it must have been a once-in-a-lifetime-experience. But what I see is a fairly average live show (for a big/popular group) that was selected because the lighting and camera work were particularly good. Most of the shows I went to in the '90s were much ā€œcrazier,ā€ and I missed most of the truly cool shows in my day.

My working hypothesis is that it is a combination of tastes evolving and the ongoing plague killing off real partying.

17 Likes

I kept losing my files, to be honest, and I didnā€™t think anyone would like it. Everyone in my area was doing hard techno or super stripped music. And the guys are still fighting here. Do you think this is good advice so that this thread is not totally pointless. I didnā€™t know that at the time it just happend. In Retrsopect.

Double drop two Es and stand in front of the speaker in a sweaty club and if it works then I guess it works :wink:

12 Likes

As someone that loves a good cigar and/or a good whiskey, and/or both at the same time, this is a good analogy. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

17 Likes

Thereā€™s a reason thereā€™s no ā€œimprovised house/hip hop/ idm /drum & bass etcā€ thread

14 Likes

you better put the little triangle and hide that comment before this thread turns into planet arrakis.

14 Likes

I feel like the shot I fired was mostly in good faith, plus itā€™s late over in the euro zone.

Just having some fun yā€™all

4 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

My honest take is that the magic of techno is with the DJ not the producers. A great techno set is unlike anything else. But the ingredients that go into the soup are pretty basic.

17 Likes

Thereā€™s loads of shit techno.

Honestly I think with all dance music ā€¦ it relies on a dj to read a crowd/place/time/vibe and itā€™s best to find it in the real world (not online).

(Sry ā€˜bout the edits. Iā€™m drunk rn).

5 Likes

You see right thru meā€¦

3 Likes

Itā€™s called marketing. Money gets you far in the industry. You can astroturf a career in techno if you got the $$$. Damn capitalism ruins everything.

5 Likes